Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simulating a catastrophic miss

Nowhere near an SME, sample size of one.

For many years, I thought I was a "pretty good" match shooter, who "didn't feel" match pressure. When I got into 911, I went from daily training and weekly practice to...well, nothing. Matches only. My scores went up, by a nontrivial margin (about a full class). I found it a lot easier to execute fundamentals.

I don't think that there's an ethical thing you can do on the range that truly duplicates consequence. I think your only two paths to attacking it are extreme repetition--training until it's impossible to do it any other way, which is out of reach of most people--or combining PT with practice to simulate the physiological (not mental) symptoms of stress.

Site Supporter
    Having said all that, I'll recall a common quote from my Boss at the time, ADM Olson (now sadly retired). He would say "You get the behavior you incentivize," with the corollary being it's damn near impossible to punish folks into excellence.
    While the actual details of this level of training are far beyond me, I would comment that the quote is pretty standard learning on the utility of punishment for inducing long term changes in behavior. As far as the civilian gun games, extreme penalties like a DQ on a stage for a no shoot rather than a penalty, would just reduce participation very quickly and make the 'sport' not viable economically.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I don't think that there's an ethical thing you can do on the range that truly duplicates consequence. I think your only two paths to attacking it are extreme repetition--training until it's impossible to do it any other way, which is out of reach of most people--or combining PT with practice to simulate the physiological (not mental) symptoms of stress.
    The stress reaction to exercise is distinctly different than the stress reaction we have when facing danger.

Not saying that combining PT with firearms practice is bad, just that the primary result will be being able to shoot while PT'ing.

Common stress reactions such as changes to our visual perceptions, auditory exclusion, shakes due to adrenaline dump, fixed thinking versus crafty thinking, etc. don't normally occur with exercise, as you mentioned.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List