Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simulating a catastrophic miss

Simulating a catastrophic miss

How is this done?

What consequence can we place upon ourselves / others?

To hopefully start a meaningful discussion, we would have a defined target, distance and par. The challenge is to simulate a catastrophic miss in a training environment. Can these two coexist?

I've seen $20 bills stapled around a target, but is that enough?

Donate the next paycheck to an antigun group?

Thoughts?
    Taking a break from social media.

I am not sure I understand the premise for your question. Frequently, I learn more from my failures than I do from my successes. If everything goes as planned, it’s hard to get better. Mistakes are low hanging fruit to fix and continue improving.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I know Pressburg has used photos of students’ family members for at least some iterations of his No Fail Shot class, at least if I’m recalling the Primary and Secondary episode correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I know Pressburg has used photos of students’ family members for at least some iterations of his No Fail Shot class, at least if I’m recalling the Primary and Secondary episode correctly.
    I think that would hit home most for me. More than anything else in the world.

We had an officer who fired an errant round in an OIS, and it killed an uninvolved person. There is nothing you can do to accurately simulate that and it's effects.

If you want to put pressure on yourself, run cold drills pass/fail at the start of training and note them in your training log. Seeing "The Test-FAILED" or "Dot Torture-FAILED" and understanding the potential consequences is enough to motivate me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    How is this done?

To hopefully start a meaningful discussion, we would have a defined target, distance and par. The challenge is to simulate a catastrophic miss in a training environment. Can these two coexist?

Thoughts?
    Kevin B during training he conducts likes to use PT. One day after my younger son and I finished up his training on a VTAC target we tallied up hits outside the VTAC headbox and chest box. One pull up for each of those "misses" and this LE range had a pull up bar handy. If I recall he owed the house about 3-5, I owed 15, my son owed near 30 I think. Kevin collected them too. I'm lucky I was a few years younger that day.

He said this method only works with a certain caliber of student (character, not skill).

Name:  OIP (2).jpg
Views: 479
Size:  23.5 KB

ETA - K.B. is the finest teacher I've taken instruction from. While business like, full of humor (most of it dark) and very adept at coaching through issues. And a plethora of real world anecdotes to illustrate lessons. He comes from a world where PT is part of life. "Wanna be hard, you gotta live hard" as Pannone says.
    Last edited by JHC; 07-13-2022 at 06:05 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    How is this done?

Thoughts?
    I think this could be an interesting discussion that gets into training versus testing versus performing at X percent of your ability. However, I may be not quite sure where you’re coming from. Would like to hear more of your thoughts?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Well, in USPSA, making a hit on a no-shoot could be an instant DQ…

…Just saying.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Well, in USPSA, making a hit on a no-shoot could be an instant DQ…

…Just saying.
    Even without a rule change people could just hold themselves to that level of accountability if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Even without a rule change people could just hold themselves to that level of accountability if they wanted to.
    And some do!

User Tag List