Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Barrel length/style and reliability in 9mm 1911s

Site Supporter
    Never had issues with the several 9mm Colt 1911's that I've owned. Hammer spring weight is a big factor in controlling slide velocity. Thumb safety and grip safety both require fitting meaning that the drop in grip safety you buy may or may not engage as it should. I've examined several Tisas 1911's. My lgs sells the government model for $425. Those who wish to tinker might consider the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'm not sure about the CMC magazine, but I have photographed a Metalform 10rd mag next to a Brownells 10 rounder.

Aside from the color and coating, it appears to be the same tube, feed lips, built in feed ramp, and follower.
    They do look the same. Brownell's is also stainless under the Xylan finish. A couple guys on Brian Enos's also said they were Metalform.

According to Steve, though, the Brownell's have the no BS lifetime guarantee:

You also take better pictures than I do.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 08-03-2022 at 09:00 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I'm a big fan of the 9rd Metal Form magazines with the front feed ramp.
    This early SA Loaded is the best out of the box 1911 I ever had, Only mods are FS checkering, sights and a DIY trigger. It feeds anything from 90-160 gr. It has 25-30K trouble free rounds thru it with the Metal Form mags.

CMC made the XD 10x9mm magazine with the front spacer and ramp, too.
    But when Wilson bought them out, they went back to the 1950 design.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by TDoor View Post
    Thought I should follow up with my findings so far, since I wound up taking the plunge.

I bought an SA Ronin commander in 9mm. Haven't had the chance to get a lot of range time with it yet but I did get to put a few boxes through it this weekend, findings below:

Malfunction log
    -Started 50rd box of Monarch brass 115gr, 2019 production-
    1. Failure to go into battery. Mag #1, round count 6, 7th round. Monarch brass 115gr. Had to strip mag and eject stuck round by racking slide.
    2. Failure to go into battery. Mag #2, 9th round. Second mag through gun. Was able to tap into battery.
    3. Failure to go into battery. Mag #3. 10th round. Third mag through gun. Tapped into battery.
    4. Failure to go into battery. Mag #2. 3rd round in mag. Stuck round, had to strip.

-Finished monarch brass 115gr. 50rds 4 stoppages-

-Fired 50rd 124gr ZQI steel case. No issues-

-Fired 50rd 115gr Fiocchi brass-
    -Started 2nd box of Fiocchi brass-
    5. Failure to fully chamber/OOB. Mag #1. Fiocchi 115gr brass. 4th round in mag. Had to strip round. Next round in mag had walked forward, unknown if factor.

-Finished 50rd box of 115gr fiocchi brass-

-Fired 19rd Speer Gold Dot 147gr (finished off opened box) No issues-

Mag #1 was the factory SA 9rd mag, 2 and 3 are Wilson ETM 10rd mags.

The malfunctions looked pretty much identical, just slightly out of battery, and I could sometimes tap it into battery, so my assessment is that the gun is probably a bit undersprung.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to start with spring weights?
    Notice a pattern here? All malfunctions are with 115 grain practice ammo (or non-defense). I remember the early Gen 4 Glock 19s where I saw a similar pattern. Even my HK P30 would puke on 115 ammo until it was broken in. Putting in a heavier spring may actually make it worse.. with the 115s. I know ammo isn’t plentiful, but I’d recommend sticking with 124 or heavier till it’s well broken in.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Notice a pattern here? All malfunctions are with 115 grain practice ammo (or non-defense). I remember the early Gen 4 Glock 19s where I saw a similar pattern. Even my HK P30 would puke on 115 ammo until it was broken in. Putting in a heavier spring may actually make it worse.. with the 115s. I know ammo isn’t plentiful, but I’d recommend sticking with 124 or heavier till it’s well broken in.
    I once thought that 115 gr ball was the one thing any 9mm would run on, even though I had guys with bringbacks tell me otherwise. Nowadays I am inclined to agree that if a pistol will run on the cheap 115 gr stuff, it will run about anything except maybe "outliers."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List