Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel length/style and reliability in 9mm 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I spent some time a few years ago obsessing over all that stuff
    I’m glad you did - I just ordered four magazines and those baseplates to try.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Keeping things basic has worked for me. I cannot remember ever having a problem with either of my Colt O-1992 Government Model 9mm pistols using standard OEM or Metalform 9-round magazines. My son has not been as lucky; he experienced endless problems with a Commander-sized Ruger and a Springfield EMP.

Name:  Colt O-1992.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  40.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    To me, this has been the most prevalent issue with 9mm 1991s. And since I was originally using them for IDPA, it was even more problematic. Between the tapered round and oversized (for 9mm) magazine, the round wants to nose dive. The thing that worked best for me was the pre-Wilson CMC magazines, with the spacer in the front. Unfortunately, these aren’t made anymore.
    In this case it turned out to be a simple matter of a little too much extractor tension.

Didn't the ejector break in the TLG pistol and it kept running? Not saying that like it is a good thing, but all of the 9mm/38S ejectors are extended from the 1911 45. I think a couple of mine will touch the ejector a bit.

But I think they do have this obscure low profile baseplate as an accessory. Not exactly what you want but not as clunky as the big one.

Attachment 91544
    You can always release the bottom of the ejector to clear the magazine when fully inserted. Still plenty of meat to get the job done getting the 9mm case clear of the gun.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This just popped up in my email (no affiliation):
    https://fusionfirearms.com/1911-full...-9-round-black

This just popped up in my email (no affiliation):
    https://fusionfirearms.com/1911-full...-9-round-black
    Dang my wife is going to go crazy when the CC bill gets here.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    A friend of mine used to universally say to her "It was such a deal!"
    And when I say "used to", I mean pretty sure he isn't married to her any more...

ETA: For example, when he bought an outboard motor at a garage sale, and they didn't have a boat: "It was such a deal!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...

A friend of mine used to universally say to her "It was such a deal!"
    And when I say "used to", I mean pretty sure he isn't married to her any more...

ETA: For example, when he bought an outboard motor at a garage sale, and they didn't have a boat: "It was such a deal!"
    The male corollary to "They were having a sale! The more I bought, the more we saved!".
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I mean, honestly...Colt did a good bit of engineering and work into making a 1911 in 9mm back in the late 1940s. Just like Jack Northrop and his Flying Wing...just because the math happened back then, doesn't mean it's not applicable now. If you take a today-made Colt 1911 Commander in 9mm back to 1948, they're gonna go "Yeah, so?" ...they might get a little more excited about modern magazines though. (assuming a non-ramped gun, that is)

A 4.25" Commander sized gun in 9mm is the prototypical 9mm 1911, pretty literally. It'll work, it's designed to. Now, getting things to feed it...that's where todays' puzzle lies

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    I mean, honestly...Colt did a good bit of engineering and work into making a 1911 in 9mm back in the late 1940s. Just like Jack Northrop and his Flying Wing...just because the math happened back then, doesn't mean it's not applicable now. If you take a today-made Colt 1911 Commander in 9mm back to 1948, they're gonna go "Yeah, so?" ...they might get a little more excited about modern magazines though. (assuming a non-ramped gun, that is)

A 4.25" Commander sized gun in 9mm is the prototypical 9mm 1911, pretty literally. It'll work, it's designed to. Now, getting things to feed it...that's where todays' puzzle lies
    Yes. Though I would add extractor shape and tension to the puzzle with magazines, especially based on recent experience. My Wilson Combat 9mm Commander runs great now that I've got the extractor tension squared away. But then, to your point, that was true in the '40s too.

User Tag List