Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangers of Blades

I feel genuinely lucky to have come out of my knife attack uninjured.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yup. A couple of years ago I was working in Paris. One morning while on a run along the Seine, I was attacked in a narrow foot tunnel by a guy with a 12" kitchen knife. There was zero warning--the guy just leaped out at arms length. Fortunately he was not prepared to fight, and turtled when I defended.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

They are not you.
    -Dr. William Aprill

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Another example from recent days...
    Action begins about a minute and fifteen seconds in.
    https://youtu.be/k0ElvzXBnME
    From reading the thread title, I was also expecting some mention of that incident.
    Here's a couple article links from the Post if you haven't seen them, first one has more video.
    (NY Post) Video compilation shows events that led to deadly NYC bodega stabbing
    (NY Post) NYC bodega worker Jose Alba is ‘very sad’ over fatal stabbing: ‘Please forgive me’
    (NY Post) Bragg says he’s ‘absolutely’ considering dropping murder charges against Jose Alba: bodega group

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Would such a bleed be able to be stopped with hemostatic gauze regardless of size?
    Yes. I've personally done it, as have many.

Judging by blood loss alone, this could be preventable death. You'd obviously need 1) Someone that knows what they're doing close by with proper equipment, and 2) The permissiveness to allow care. The stars would have to align in that regard and this is no-shit a bad situation, but it's definitely not something I'd write you off for.

Now, there's certain things that can happen that will complicate things and turn it into a non-survivable wound...like if the vascular structure were completed bisected instead of just "cut", among others. In addition, I do not understate "someone that knows what they're doing". There's a lot of skill-craft in proper packing of a wound that can make the difference on ensuring a positive outcome...skill-craft that typically isn't taught at most levels outside of SOF-specific live tissue classes. Most instructors at TECC/TCCC classes, every civilian EMS provider I've personally worked with, and especially lower level Stop the Bleed class instructors "do not know what they don't know", in this regard. Most people end up getting taught "pack to the bone" as their goal, which in reality is a fallback for when things are fucked and you can't do better. Outside of extended instructor-student contact time typically encountered in live tissue training it can be tough to teach people how to identify the site of the bleed using fingers to feel pressure-differentials between pooled blood and gushing blood. However, even someone with basic wound packing training should have a pretty decent chance at reducing the rate of exsanguination for a bleed of this severity to a survivable amount if they were nearby, prepared, and able to intervene.

If you're in an area with a progressive EMS system trialing whole-blood in the field, your chances of survival go up significantly as well as drastically decreasing complications upon your survival. In short: heavy blood loss can fuck with your body, even if you survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Humbly submitted to our MD folks:

I’m also curious about the survivability of a wound like that too. Even if you stop the blood loss what percentage of the brain is being starved of oxygen and and what kind of a cognitive outcome would be expected for the patient?
    Adding to what I already detailed above, he didn't lose that much blood in the video. The rate of blood loss was significant, but he didn't lose enough total in that amount of time to cause any brain damage. This genuinely qualifies as a Bad DayTM, but 3-4 pints of blood is a lot more than what you see on the ground here. The rate of loss is likely what fucked him up to the point you see him collapse, as his brain perfusion was likely lower than required for consciousness. However, he likely didn't expire for several minutes. So, if you are able to stop that blood loss, he'd regain perfusion. You'd typically need 4+ minutes of no perfusion to the brain before looking at permanent brain damage.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Humbly submitted to our MD folks:

I’m also curious about the survivability of a wound like that too. Even if you stop the blood loss what percentage of the brain is being starved of oxygen and and what kind of a cognitive outcome would be expected for the patient?
    Survivable if you can get that to the OR rapidly enough. A person that young could live on a single carotid and jugular no problem. If wound extended into the great vessels in the chest it's a complete clustercuss of a difficult exposure. Would die in my hands at my facility for sure. In a busy trauma doc's hands with a great, experienced team, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    This is a stabbing so it may not count but it's an excellent example of just how quickly a knife can fuck you up all the way. Very NSFW and I don't think the victim pulled through this. Perfect counterpoint to anyone who would discount police or an armed citizen shooting someone armed with a knife at close range.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DocumentedF...eb2x&context=3
    Wow, those videos, plus the one above, really give me the heebie-jeebies. I'm probably naïve; I've never seen knife strikes/one stab kills like these. I'm probably not going to watch them again, but it sure was eye-opening seeing them.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Wow, those videos, plus the one above, really give me the heebie-jeebies. I'm probably naïve; I've never seen knife strikes/one stab kills like these. I'm probably not going to watch them again, but it sure was eye-opening seeing them.
    It's fucking dark. It was a couple of vids like that, which prompted me to take EWO in the first place. One in particular (which I won't find for folks, but just describe generally): where the victim manages to get 2-on-1 of the perp's free swinging stabbing arm, but doesn't know what to do with it. And subsequently finds a few more stab wounds into his upper thoracic cavity with expected negative results.

When someone says, "Oh people in the dark ages died more from infection than actual blade wounds." - I just assume they are completely ignorant about the efficacy of ramming even quasi-sharp pieces of material into people. It might have been true in the days of musket balls that more died from infection than musket ball wounds, but it certainly was not the case in the pre-firearm era.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Mission accomplished.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Mission accomplished.
    My generation of cops have almost a pathological fear of blades. The Calibre Press video "Surviving Edged Weapons" was a huge part of that fear. I saw it first when I was in high school, again in the academy, and it is still with me in my mind.

Haven't watched it all, but it looks like it is available on YouThing.

It can be a bit controversial, and in some folks cause a court liable overreaction. If you look at numbers and photos in the web, knife wounds are far scarier than most gunshot wounds (even fatal ones) an American cop will encounter.

@Mas

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    My generation of cops have almost a pathological fear of blades. The Calibre Press video "Surviving Edged Weapons" was a huge part of that fear. I saw it first when I was in high school, again in the academy, and it is still with me in my mind.
    I went through the academy in early '94 and they showed us that video...and it left impressions on me that last to this day.

User Tag List