Thread: Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum

Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum

I managed to snag this one a while back. Remington used to only make a few small production runs of this gun every year. I say "used to" because with the current state of Remington from a business and financial state, I'm not sure what they are, and are not producing any longer. The only positive identification that the gun is an actual Police Model of the Marine Magnum, is the 25047 Order Number on the box.

There is no other identification on the gun to determine it's a Police Model..... Except for the rifle sights, and the all metal trigger group. ("Special Purpose Marine Magnums" have the front bead only sight, and the Polymer trigger group, and the 25012 Order Number.) The Police Marine Magnum also comes with a milled extractor, (not MIM), and is put together on the Police and Wingmaster assembly lines, to a higher degree of fit and finish. Not the Express line.

I was able to purchase this through Davidson's, who, at the time, received a small number of them. (They were sold out within a couple of hours). Be advised there are A LOT of these guns being misrepresented as Police Models of the Marine Magnum, that are NOT. Again, the order Number MUST be 25047 for it to be an actual Police Marine Magnum.

Site Supporter
    have you had a chance to sight it in yet? I picked up a rifle sighted barrel and at 30 yards it was 6 inches high with federal hydra shock and hollow point flight control. Have heard the rifle sighted barrels are a belly button hold (which seems to be about right) but on my buddy's 11-87 we were able to get it dead on. I didn't bring my xs big dot barrel, but I didn't have that issue with other shotguns I have owned.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    have you had a chance to sight it in yet? I picked up a rifle sighted barrel and at 30 yards it was 6 inches high with federal hydra shock and hollow point flight control. Have heard the rifle sighted barrels are a belly button hold (which seems to be about right) but on my buddy's 11-87 we were able to get it dead on. I didn't bring my xs big dot barrel, but I didn't have that issue with other shotguns I have owned.
    Beautiful thing about the RS models is you can replace the sights and get it zeroed in right.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I replaced the standard sights with the trijicons, but it didn't seem to help, if anything it made it worse. Not sure I want to keep chasing the dragon. I am going to try out the XS sighted barrel since that setup seemed to work fine on my mossberg. Just curious if others have had the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Beautiful thing about the RS models is you can replace the sights and get it zeroed in right.

I replaced the standard sights with the trijicons, but it didn't seem to help, if anything it made it worse. Not sure I want to keep chasing the dragon. I am going to try out the XS sighted barrel since that setup seemed to work fine on my mossberg. Just curious if others have had the same issue.
    There are probably dozens of option out there for replacing the front sight on a ramped front sight like that. Back when I worked in the gun shop we had drawers full of them. All different heights. A quick perusal of brownells shows lots of options. HiViz has at least 3 different heights.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-prod9506.aspx

If it was mine, I would call the King of sights - Dave Dawson (Dawson Precision) and ask him if he could make me the appropriate height sight. He’s a helluva nice guy. He’s got a sight calculator on his website can help you figure out what you would need. He can also probably make a night sight one for you if that’s what you want. He’s made me some custom height Sig front sights (tritium) over the years.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

have you had a chance to sight it in yet?
    Yes. It required a slight windage adjustment, (most likely due to the fact the screw was slightly loose out of the box), but at 50 yards with Federal Tactical Rifled Slugs, (blue case), it was spot on. Some years back I bought a rifle sighted barrel for my Remington 1100, that required a major change in elevation to bring it dead on. It shot about 6" low at 50 yards.

I just thought I would toss this out there if anyone is interested in a similar type of shotgun. Davidson's is currently showing a Remington Fieldmaster 870, stocked in Walnut with a 20" rifled barrel, drilled & tapped receiver, and rifle type sights in stock. (Currently 8 available as I type this).

The downside is it's only a 4 shot capacity. But I'm sure there are a multitude of different aftermarket magazine extension kits available for it. Street price on this gun in my area runs right around $575.00 out the door, give or take. Not too bad. The Special Purpose Marine Magnum, (Order Number 25012), is showing a MSRP of almost $1K, but they're currently out of stock. They no longer list the Police Marine Magnum, (Order Number 25047).

Remington 870's of any kind are becoming somewhat difficult to find. Again, this is based on the current state of Remington from a business and financial standpoint. Who knows how long they'll be producing anything in the future? Especially now with the economy descending into all but certain recession.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...&zipcode=86404

Site Supporter
    It almost makes me wonder if there is some kind of fitting that is off with the barrel I got. Even after major adjustments the closest I can get it is 6 inches. Windage is dead on. I have tried it with the sights that came with it, and a set of trijicon night sights. Next trip I am going to use the standard barrel that I fitted an XS dot to, I was just really hoping that I could use rifle sights for a better overall picture.

Quote Originally Posted by billt460 View Post
    Yes. It required a slight windage adjustment, (most likely due to the fact the screw was slightly loose out of the box), but at 50 yards with Federal Tactical Rifled Slugs, (blue case), it was spot on. Some years back I bought a rifle sighted barrel for my Remington 1100, that required a major change in elevation to bring it dead on. It shot about 6" low at 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by billt460 View Post
    I just thought I would toss this out there if anyone is interested in a similar type of shotgun. Davidson's is currently showing a Remington Fieldmaster 870, stocked in Walnut with a 20" rifled barrel, drilled & tapped receiver, and rifle type sights in stock. (Currently 8 available as I type this).

The downside is it's only a 4 shot capacity. But I'm sure there are a multitude of different aftermarket magazine extension kits available for it. Street price on this gun in my area runs right around $575.00 out the door, give or take. Not too bad. The Special Purpose Marine Magnum, (Order Number 25012), is showing a MSRP of almost $1K, but they're currently out of stock. They no longer list the Police Marine Magnum, (Order Number 25047).

Remington 870's of any kind are becoming somewhat difficult to find. Again, this is based on the current state of Remington from a business and financial standpoint. Who knows how long they'll be producing anything in the future? Especially now with the economy descending into all but certain recession.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...&zipcode=86404
    I was looking at these, Bud's has them for $505.00 - https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ld+12+20+fr+rs

A local shop in McPherson, KS has them at $521.00 of the GoG site.

Not bad.

From this description, is the Fieldmaster a new name for Express?

ROCK-SOLID WORKHORSE. WORKS AS SMOOTH AS SILK.

The all-new 870 FieldMaster, an All-American pump gun, brings hunters the best of all worlds. The ready-for-work exterior of the Model 870 FieldMaster lies the same quality, precision, and dependability that you'll find in our legendary Model 870 Wingmaster®, but at a much more affordable price.

Like all Model 870 shotguns, it features a receiver milled from a solid billet of steel for maximum strength and reliability. Improved twin action bars prevent binding and twisting so that you'll always have the chance to get off a second shot.

Appropriately dressed for the hunt and not for the wall, each shotgun sports non-reflective matte black metalwork and an open grain, grade A walnut stock set.

The 12-gauge models are offered with your choice of a 26” or 28” vent-rib barrel with a single white bead sight. The receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mount. From an open too tight shot patterns, the 870 FieldMasters will come with three Rem™ Chokes that can adapt to any hunting, self-defense, or clay target event that may come your way.

Its solid, dependable action makes it America's favorite pump shotgun. Continual upgrades and evolving designs make it the most advanced, well-rounded pump shotgun in the world. Its superiority is a matter of rugged dependability, great pointing characteristics and versatility. For more than 70 years, The Model 870™ has set the standard for slide-action performance.

Offered in 12 and 20-gauge.
    Shoots both 2 3/4" and 3" shells (3 1/2" offerred in R68860).
    26" or 28" vent-rib white bead-sighted barrel
    Sling stud on magazine cap and stock
    Drilled and tapped receiver for scope mount
    Receiver milled from a solid billed of steel for maximum strength and reliability
    Improved twin action bars prevent binding and twisting for maximum strength, reliability, and a silky-smooth cycle of operation.
    New FieldMaster finish on barrel and receiver provides better durability and protection against rust.
    Comes with cable lock, magazine plug, choke tube wrench and three flush Rem™ Chokes: Improved Cylinder, Modified and Full.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

That's an excellent price from Bud's. I haven't been paying much attention to Remington's production like I used to before the bankruptcy, but I believe you're correct. They've dropped the "Express" name in favor of "Fieldmaster". At least it would appear so. I'm surprised they're putting a Walnut stock on it. Most all of the "Express" models had either Birch, or synthetic stocks. While it's not the high gloss "Bowling Pin" finish you see on the Wingmaster line, it's still nice to get some form of Walnut, along with a milled, steel receiver.... Especially for that price.

User Tag List