Thread: Sandstorm Precision G43x/G48 Storm Grip

Sandstorm Precision G43x/G48 Storm Grip

This topic is regarding the G43x/G48 backstrap from Sandstorm Precision:

https://www.sandstormprecision.com/p...-43x-backstrap

I bought and installed the standard version for my G43x (which wears a Holosun 507k).

As someone who had long-ish fingers I like how it adds front-to-back width. This addition allows my fingers to sit between the first and second knuckle of the finger instead of towards the 2nd knuckle, clearing more space on the side panel for better recoil control.

However, when presenting from a holster with a red dot, I find my dot is consistently low and out of my FOV in the window of the optic. I also get slide bite as it pushes out my hand enough that the meat comes up above the radius of the backstrap.

What are your experiences with it?

@Sauer Koch (post link: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1222769)

Pics of frame with Storm Grip on left:

"Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    I have no experience with it because I didn't know it existed. This may make me try a 43x(again).
    --Jason--

I just picked up a G48 and one of these from Sandstorm, but I got the model with the beavertail. Haven't shot it yet. Will try to get to the range this weekend and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I just picked up a G48 and one of these from Sandstorm, but I got the model with the beavertail. Haven't shot it yet. Will try to get to the range this weekend and report back.
    I purchased my short beavertail back strap on 9/13/2021. I've been running it for almost a year. I don't shoot my carry gun all that much so I honestly only have about 400 rounds through it.

The beavertail stopped the slide bite that I was experiencing with my G43X. I also dig the added front to back width added to the grip as I find the G43X frames to be a little bit on the small side. (rightly so).

I was at first a little skeptical of the 3m adhesive tape holding the back strap on but its been a year and that damned thing is on there. I did however shave down the beavertail itself as it is HUGE. It is probably 90% bigger than it needs to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Let me know how it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I purchased my short beavertail back strap on 9/13/2021. I've been running it for almost a year. I don't shoot my carry gun all that much so I honestly only have about 400 rounds through it.

The beavertail stopped the slide bite that I was experiencing with my G43X. I also dig the added front to back width added to the grip as I find the G43X frames to be a little bit on the small side. (rightly so).

I was at first a little skeptical of the 3m adhesive tape holding the back strap on but its been a year and that damned thing is on there. I did however shave down the beavertail itself as it is HUGE.
    It is probably 90% bigger than it needs to be...
    As was I. I got a sheet of talon grips pro material and wrapped it around onto the Storm, then added a strip of skateboard tape for extra adhesion. Can you post pics of you modified beavertail both in your shooting hand and on it's own?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    General comments based on shooting the Glock Platform sine 1990ish.

While all manner of tape ( I use 3m stair on the front strap of my one and only 1911) can help with purchase on a given platform, particularly, Glocks, it is a short/mid term solution.

IMHO, If you feel that more purchase beyond factory texturing, "stippling" a polymer framed pistol is far superior. I fully acknowledge that:

a. My position places function well over over form/appearances.
    b. Stippling can trigger classification issues in the various shooting sports.
    c. Stippling can lower the value of a pistol, often dramatically in the trade in context.
    d. I stipple pistols and grip panels as a side business for money/goods though I do not have an "gunsmith" or other FFL such that I am not trolling for your business in any way.
    e. All of my carry training Glocks are stippled and could I could be biased

If the tape works for you. Rock on. Please know it is a consumable that will need to be monitored and made need to be replaced on a regular basis for maximum effectiveness.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

@Jay585 Having big hands, I do seem to remember getting slide bite a time or two, but nothing at all like what you got. I don’t have a dot, so I can’t comment on that, but when doing press-outs with my irons, I think the adapter removes about 95% of the ‘problem’, which I guess is good enough?
    I’d need to do some drills with it, to verify how easily I’m acquiring a sight picture, but haven’t done that yet.

Name:  3B98E382-0784-431F-8247-ED6AB0460B99.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  27.5 KBName:  92204DC0-D732-4898-8744-16B68373F08C.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  35.6 KB

User Tag List