Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does it mean to be a good shooter?

Site Supporter
    A good shooter depends on the context of what the firearm is used for. We have all the mindset, situational awareness, knowledge of relevant law, etc. Now as far as speed/accuracy standards there are lots out there. Greg Ellifritz, Tom Givens, Karl Rehn, etc. have published extensive analyses of such.

I will offer this from Claude Werner - great practical teacher (great snubby class). It's a little different take: https://thetacticalprofessor.net/202...dgun-shooting/

Basically don't do this - The Top 5 Missed Shots in Handgun Shooting

The first shot.
    The last shot.
    The first shot after reducing a stoppage (which includes a reload).
    The shot after an Unintentional Discharge (it’s missed because it’s not fired).
    The first shot after the transition to another target.

More analysis in the piece. About number three - I did a classic. Fired one shot - went to slide lock and reloaded. Forgot to re-engage for the second shot. I swore in my mind I did but I didn't. Saying you don't go to slide lock isn't for DA STREETZ.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 07-11-2022 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The Top 5 Missed Shots in Handgun Shooting
    I like your post, think it indicates important points. But what's the consequence of these observations, the solution to these problems?

1. Take more time for these shots?
    2. Focus more on the shooting basics for these shots?
    3. Practice these shots more often?

I suppose, #3 is most important.

PS:
    Ah, I clicked on the link in Glenn's post. There we get specific remedies for each of the top 5 missed shots. So I think, practicing these 5 remedies is the answer to my question.
    Last edited by P30; 07-11-2022 at 02:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Any definition of a “good shooter” is meaningless without context.

Some contexts favor speed, some favor accuracy, sone favor a balance of both.

Just like “mindset” is context dependent.

In gun fighting mindset usually refers to a willingness to recognize the need to use force and to use force without hesitation when and where appropriate.

In pure technical shooting mindset can have more to do with focus, having the “soft eye,” flow state whatever you wanna call it.

While the Venn diagrams often overlap, technical shooting proficiency and “gunfighting” are two separate skill sets. Being good at one doesn’t always translate to bring good at the other.,

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    My strengths are a lifelong dim view of human nature, 28 years of ghetto copping, and a relaxed aura of radiated hate.
    27 years for me, and the radiated aura does indeed clear shitheads from the path.

Site Supporter
    My old memory led me to this tidbit from an Insights class with John Holschen:

Amateurs think (or talk) equipment,
    Students think techniques,
    Masters think tactics
    Anyway, I think we are clear on one has to determine to goal state and objectives of the 'good shooter' term.

Since 2004, if I pass the state Q for CHL, I'm good enough.

That's just 18 of 25 rounds in an 12x18 box at 3-7yds every four years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ken Hackathorn identified four levels of shooters - incompetent, competent, good, and great. He offered that you didn't have to be a great shooter but you needed to be a good shooter. Dr. Lewinski has offered that "an expert has automatic use of the tool." This tells me than one should be able to manipulate the pistol efficiently, be able to hit in a timely fashion, and remain calm as the world devolves into noise and chaos.

I think of trigger control as a series of steps:
    1) Press the trigger without disturbing the sights
    2) Press the trigger quickly without disturbing the sights
    3) Know how to throttle trigger control (and firing solution*) based on target difficulty/size
    4) Be able to run the trigger while tracking the sights
    5) Know how to apply enough firing solution to be able to hit a moving target

For technical shooting skill to solve real world problems, the point of diminishing returns starts at C class and is reached by B class.

My favorite definition of whether you can shoot "good enough" is the ability to spin a Farnam Rotator, ideally in one magazine. The Farnam rotator makes the shooter break shots in time frames the shooter does not control. You must make the shot "now!" or fail the task. That need to be able to break a shot "now" while still hitting is a critical skill that is often neglected.

While some people scoff at "convoluted" shooting drills the real measure of how well you've mastered something is your ability to sequence rapidly through various skills. For instance I have three drills - 1 round from the holster, a Bill Drill, and a draw 1 round reload one round. The draw-1-reload-1 is the most predictive of real world success.

For this reason, I really like the Hateful 8. If you can run Hateful 8 and keep all your rounds in the 8 ring or better, you are a "good enough" shooter that you can worry about other stuff like empty hands, strength and conditioning, etc.

Just a final side note, when we're talking about times to complete certain tasks, we really need to specify where the gun is coming from. AIWB is not an apples-to-apples comparison with concealed strong side hip or a duty rig.

* - firing solution is my shorthand for the fundamentals. It's not just sights and trigger. For some problems I don't have to have a great "stance" or worry about breath control. The harder a shot is the more "firing solution" you have to apply.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Farnam Rotator

John, can you explain or expand more on the Farnam Rotator drill? Does anyone have a video of the drill?

Quote Originally Posted by strow View Post
    John, can you explain or expand more on the Farnam Rotator drill? Does anyone have a video of the drill?
    Plugging Farnam Rotator target into my browser brings up these results:

A YouTube video of Farnam talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FykTl3uW-vk

And a company selling a target system of the same name: https://ravelingroup.com/product/rot...shotguntarget/

Further down the search results page there is a thread on IGO with someone selling the above-mentioned target and in it he says, "...this is the target system originally used by John Farnam when I attended his classes as part of his 'final qualification' exercise. It's a very challenging target to get spinning but fun as well." The author's for sale thread links to the Ravelin Group's Rotator target.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The draw-1-reload-1 is the most predictive of real world success.
    I would be super interested to know why you think that is?

User Tag List