Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Field Holster for 4" N-Frame with RDS?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I use a Comp Tac holster (International model) for my CZ pistol and had to remove only small section of kydex to make it work with my RDS installed. Just checked their site and they offer that model for the 4" N frame suitable for IDPA. I'm thinking this could work for field purposes. If I have a good week maybe I'll get one ordered. I use a USPSA legal version of the holster for my 6 1\2" 29 with RDS but wouldn't consider it secure enough for the field.
    I literally ordered the IDPA version via ebay last night after finding it by accident. It was cheap enough that if it doesn't work and can't be suitably modified, I'll just toss it and return to the leather options.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I literally ordered the IDPA version via ebay last night after finding it by accident. It was cheap enough that if it doesn't work and can't be suitably modified, I'll just toss it and return to the leather options.

Chris
    Standing by for your report.

Looks like that may be your solution, I want to know how it works out also.

Site Supporter
    Holster arrived yesterday and I immediately started hacking away at it with a pair of diagonal cutters (too lazy to break out the Dremel). I had to remove about an inch of the sight tunnel and adjust the tension to hold the gun, but it works.

The mount is a cheap weaver mount that I chopped an inch off (it's designed for pistol scopes or long tube-style red dots and way too long for an open-emitter style dot). If you use an Allchin or similar mount, you might get away with less butchery.

I haven't actually put the holster on a belt yet. When I was doing this, I had just returned from the gym and was wearing basketball shorts and too lazy to change into something with a belt (see a pattern here?). But, I can tell from the design it'll probably stick out a fair bit. Definitely not a concealment holster, but that's fine because it's going to be a field holster for hunting/camping.

Name:  holster.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  31.4 KB

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Holster arrived yesterday and I immediately started hacking away at it with a pair of diagonal cutters (too lazy to break out the Dremel). I had to remove about an inch of the sight tunnel and adjust the tension to hold the gun, but it works.

The mount is a cheap weaver mount that I chopped an inch off (it's designed for pistol scopes or long tube-style red dots and way too long for an open-emitter style dot). If you use an Allchin or similar mount, you might get away with less butchery.

I haven't actually put the holster on a belt yet. When I was doing this, I had just returned from the gym and was wearing basketball shorts and too lazy to change into something with a belt (see a pattern here?). But, I can tell from the design it'll probably stick out a fair bit. Definitely not a concealment holster, but that's fine because it's going to be a field holster for hunting/camping.

Name:  holster.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  31.4 KB

Chris
    Looks like a winner!

Site Supporter
    Tried it on with a proper belt...

With the default belt loop attachment, it sticks way too far out for concealment, but it's not made for that purpose. Still, it's out there. It would take a large bulky coat to come close to hiding it and you'd never forget it's there.

With the paddle adapter, it actually hugs the hip. It's still a bit bulky to conceal properly, but you could run into the store while on your way to deer camp without scaring the locals. It stays in place while drawing and doesn't slide around. I actually had it on at the same time I was carrying my LCR AIWB (how's that for a NY reload!). The paddle method is also more comfortable. I think that's how I'll use it.

For less than $35, I think it's a winner.

Chris

User Tag List