Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carbine standards

carbine standards

I have always wanted to be a great rifleman. As a Marine, I was an expert and got to use those skills in the real world while in Afghanistan. Now that I am a civilian, I still hold myself to the idea and need to be a good rifleman. So far I have settled on holding myself to that standard using a 556 carbine (14.5 inch bcm).

Some of the standards I stick to are:
    1)Defoors 100 yard carbine standards, 10 rounds in 20 seconds at 100 yards on a b8. I hold myself to a 90 or better. It is shot from the standing to prone, on the beep you drop down.
    2) for close in carbine use (50 yards and in) I use the marsoc standards which you can find here https://www.thearmorylife.com/shoot-...meusoc-marine/

Does anyone else have any really good carbine drills?

Been meaning to give this one a try.

Target / Time: SR42 / 2 minutes

Start at 100y, run to 200y. Prone 2 rounds, Run to 100y, kneeling 2 rounds, Run to 50y, standing 2 rounds Run to 25y, standing 2 rounds Run to 10y, standing 2 rounds. Scoring: 80/100 to pass

I think longer distance marksmanship should be something folks train more on.

One important standard is knowing how to deal with a malfunction.

This drill was fantastic in Mike's class.

Theory.

I’m a big fan of the Modified Navy Qual that Jeff Gonzales made popular. It tests your ability to shoot from three different positions, with reloads, under time pressure, with strict accuracy standards (the target is an 8” circle and a missed shot costs you more points than an overtime shot). All you need is a 50 yard range, a timer, 3 5-round mags, and an 8” circle.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have always wanted to be a great rifleman. As a Marine, I was an expert and got to use those skills in the real world while in Afghanistan. Now that I am a civilian, I still hold myself to the idea and need to be a good rifleman. So far I have settled on holding myself to that standard using a 556 carbine (14.5 inch bcm).

Some of the standards I stick to are:
    1)Defoors 100 yard carbine standards, 10 rounds in 20 seconds at 100 yards on a b8. I hold myself to a 90 or better. It is shot from the standing to prone, on the beep you drop down.
    2) for close in carbine use (50 yards and in) I use the marsoc standards which you can find here https://www.thearmorylife.com/shoot-...meusoc-marine/

Does anyone else have any really good carbine drills?
    I like the Defoor standards and shoot it quite a bit. I was not familiar with the MARSOC standards but I'm gonna work that into the mix in the future.

If you have 300 yards to work with, I like the Valor Ridge Rifle Standards. I wasn't able to find it written out so I'll link a video of Reid Henrichs shooting it. If you don't have 300, the 100 yards and in portion of the drill is still good.

Last edited by Casual Friday; 07-10-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Been meaning to give this one a try.

Target / Time: SR42 / 2 minutes

Start at 100y, run to 200y. Prone 2 rounds, Run to 100y, kneeling 2 rounds, Run to 50y, standing 2 rounds Run to 25y, standing 2 rounds Run to 10y, standing 2 rounds. Scoring: 80/100 to pass

I think longer distance marksmanship should be something folks train more on.
    I would be curious, out of the two minutes, how many seconds are shooting, and how man seconds are running? On a typical uspsa field course, I plan about sixty percent of my time is shooting, and forty percent is moving. Quick wag, but is this drill 75 or 80 percent running?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ve been using Paul Howe’s instructor standards as my general framework.

TRI RIFLE STANDARDS 2017

The enclosed drills are designed with three purposes in mind:
    A measurable standard to maintain.
    An efficient stair-stepped workout program that covers all the bases.
    To test the individual shooter at various times to show areas needing improvement.

DISTANCE / STANDARD

Ready 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1.00 sec.
    Ready 2 shots 1 target 7 yards 1.50 sec.
    Ready 2/1 Body/Head 7 yards 1.75 sec
    Ready 5/1 Body/Head 7 yards 3.00 sec.
    Ready 2 shots /2 targets 7 yards 3.00 sec.
    Ready 1 Rifle /1 Pistol 7 yards 3.25 sec
    Ready 5 shots /1 target 100 yards/prone 20 sec. *
    Ready 5 shots /1 target 75 yards/kneel 20 sec. *
    Ready 5 shots /1 target 50 yards/kneel 20 sec.*
    Ready 5 shots/1 target 25 yards/stand 8 sec.

Total: 37 Rounds Rifle/1 Pistol
    I mix in some other stuff such as reloads and usually omit the pistol transitions.

I like Reid Henrichs snap shot standards as well and am trying to get my 100 yard shot down as I see it having a lot of field application (as opposed to things like pistol transitions).

I rather liked the simplicity of the 'grapefruit standard' from Arfcom:

-Hit a 5-6" circle with the first shot, off-hand standing

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-T...d-/118-348400/

And from the originator of the drill:

"I was thinking more like a 6" grapefruit, and with the first shot. Next time a group of friends are together, pin up 6" balloons at 50yds, and see how many can hit it with the first shot.

The "baloon drill" is one I run for a group of us who get together monthly. Get your guys in a single file line, 1st takes the shot and if he missed the next guy up takes the shot and so on until all the balloons are broke. Dont take your time, step up and shoot.

I bet 8 out of 10 people on this forum [Arfcom] would miss with the first shot."

Along a similar vein, the drill reminds me of when Atticus Finch has to shoot the rabid dog in a no-miss context. Looks to be about 30yd, for a headshot, which is about a 3" target.

I guess we'd call that the "One Shot Finch" drill:

Name:  IMG_20220702_202151_502.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  48.2 KB

Defoor test on a b8. Carbine used was a 14.5 bcm and wolf steel case. 10 rounds in 20 seconds at 100 yards. Optic was an 4x acog.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Name:  IMG_20220702_202151_502.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  48.2 KB

Defoor test on a b8. Carbine used was a 14.5 bcm and wolf steel case. 10 rounds in 20 seconds at 100 yards. Optic was an 4x acog.
    That looks like a 94 to me! Three 9s and a 7. Do you know which shot was the 7?

User Tag List