Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: carbine standards

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That looks like a 94 to me! Three 9s and a 7. Do you know which shot was the 7?
    I think you're right! My second. I was getting my breathing situated and pressed the shot early!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m a big fan of the Modified Navy Qual that Jeff Gonzales made popular. It tests your ability to shoot from three different positions, with reloads, under time pressure, with strict accuracy standards (the target is an 8” circle and a missed shot costs you more points than an overtime shot). All you need is a 50 yard range, a timer, 3 5-round mags, and an 8” circle.
    Great drill though it came from “those Navy people with the good hair” I associate more with the late Pat Rogers. It was usually the last evolution of his carbine operator class.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Great drill though it came from “those Navy people with the good hair” I associate more with the late Pat Rogers. It was usually the last evolution of his carbine operator class.
    It’s been a long-ass time ago (sadly) but I seem to recall the first time I shot that quail with Pat he gave Jeff credit for it?

I could be remembering wrong. It could be that I had just seen it first online from Jeff.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Slightly OT but one of my biggest regrets with regards to shooting is never having taken a class from Pat Rogers.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Some of the standards I stick to are:
    1)Defoors 100 yard carbine standards, 10 rounds in 20 seconds at 100 yards on a b8. I hold myself to a 90 or better. It is shot from the standing to prone, on the beep you drop down.
    Question / clarification:

Is it 14 seconds?

Name:  B16A323C-9FD0-467B-A60B-03535318AB44.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  48.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Question / clarification:

Is it 14 seconds?

Name:  B16A323C-9FD0-467B-A60B-03535318AB44.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  48.0 KB
    I think to earn a hat which is the expert kind of level for his class. He wants everyone (from what I've seen in his video) under 20 and preferably under 14. I'm not there yet, soon I should be able to always clear 14.

It's 14. I just missed a hat in Indiana a couple of months ago with a 91 in 14.02. Painful.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    It's 14. I just missed a hat in Indiana a couple of months ago with a 91 in 14.02. Painful.
    Thank you for clarification, what carbine set up? I want to blame my use of wolf steel since starting to reduce my time but mostly it's my natural point of aim never being directly on

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Thank you for clarification, what carbine set up? I want to blame my use of wolf steel since starting to reduce my time but mostly it's my natural point of aim never being directly on
    I was shooting an 11.5 Centurion Arms pistol with a T2, unmagnified with some PMC brass .223. Consistent NPOA was 100% my issue while getting into prone.

I was told it started with the other guys from Bragg. Quien sabe? We also ran it at shorter distance with pistols.

Another drill from that era that must be shot from four different distances, from a different shooting position at each (prone, sitting, kneeling/squat, standing) .

Example:
    Start at 200m, 5 rounds
    Run to 100m, 5 rounds
    Run to 50m, 5 rounds
    Run to 25m, five rounds

I can't recall the time standard. For fun you can add pull-ups before starting. To keep from gaming it and using the more stable positions at distance, you could mandate a certain position at each yardage.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List