Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grover Improved #5, 44 magnum

Grover Improved #5, 44 magnum

I recently purchased, via an accidental meeting with a previous owner, this Grover #5 in 44 mag. I would have been much happier with a 45 Colt gun, but, couldn't be a chooser. I am a revolver fan, a single action revolver shooter, and am a nut (probably not too strong of a word) for unusual, high-quality guns.
    This one checks all of those boxes.
    Any of have one of these and a desire to discuss same?
    Jimmy

Is that one of the Texas Longhorn Arms ones? I’ve always been really curious what those are like.

That's one of my grail guns! Available funds and an available #5 improved have never lined up though. Congrats!
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

IIRC Alan Harton at Single Action Service will go through it for you and bring the internals up to snuff. That's based on hanging around a forum that had a couple of TLA collectors as regular posters. I think they were on the soft side as they came from TLA.

And congrats! A TLA is on my list of things to buy if I ever get to the point that money is no object and I can seek out rare/unusual or custom single actions just to collect.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Alan Harton, Single action Service

Thanks guys, I didn't know these guns had issues like that. I'll pull it apart and check. I talked to Mr Harton a while back about action jobs on some Colt clones and he was amenable to doing the work. I also bought this gun a companion lever action Marlin (JM) with intention of cutting it to a 16 inch plus threaded carbine (for suppressed use). I don't mind cutting and threading someone else's gun but haven't done this one yet. Like I said, I really like the 45 Colt round much more than the 44 mag.
    This revolver is very solid, shoots well, and is as accurate as me it seems. The balance makes it feel lighter than it is, and the surface finish and blue is really nice.
    So, all in all, it's pretty happy here, and will be here awhile. I'll try to get some pictures up when things slow down a bit.
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    ^^ This ^^

OP is flirting with bannation with extreme prejudice.

PICS!

Someone said #5s?

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    I recently purchased, via an accidental meeting with a previous owner, this Grover #5 in 44 mag. I would have been much happier with a 45 Colt gun, but, couldn't be a chooser. I am a revolver fan, a single action revolver shooter, and am a nut (probably not too strong of a word) for unusual, high-quality guns.
    This one checks all of those boxes.
    Any of have one of these and a desire to discuss same?
    Jimmy

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Without pictures, we can’t be sure that there even is such a gun.

Name:  IMG_3602.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  61.0 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List