Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police pre employment polygraph questions

I’m way out of my lane in this part of the forum, but it occurs to me that the poly may well be the LE voodoo that meets big academia’s “peer review” publishing criteria.

Anyways, don’t mind me, carry on, carry on.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The reasoning behind the 2nd poly (from what I’ve been told) is that you can ask certain questions after someone has signed a conditional job offer that you cannot ask before the conditional. That’s one of the things I’m learning about.
    Just out of curiosity what kind of questions are those? Man if I’d been told I had to take another poly after my first one I really would’ve been tempted to throw out the double claw. k9ese for bird.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Just out of curiosity what kind of questions are those? Man if I’d been told I had to take another poly after my first one I really would’ve been tempted to throw out the double claw. k9ese for bird.
    I think they can get more into precious medical and mental health type questions. That’s why I’m looking for agencies that do a second poly, I don’t wanna recreate the wheel.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Meh. CVSAs and polygraphs are just tools to assist in the background…as in they may possibly send the investigator in a direction they may not have already covered. Good background investigators find most of the stuff anyway.

When I was doing backgrounds, even if the candidate failed the CVSA it wasn’t a death nail… way more weight was thrown towards the actual background and what it revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The reasoning behind the 2nd poly (from what I’ve been told) is that you can ask certain questions after someone has signed a conditional job offer that you cannot ask before the conditional. That’s one of the things I’m learning about.
    Then just give them one after the conditional offer. Problem solved.

In NH polygraphs are commonly used, but always after the conditional offer due to ADA protections that apply prior to the conditional. Based upon what I've been trained on, I don't see much value in a pre-conditional poly, as it's basically impossible to do any background investigation before the conditional.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I was just listening to Scott Reitz's story about his partner using the roof mounted can light, the PA, and the radio mic as a poly for a suspect. You'd be hard pressed to prove it's more/less reliable than a real machine.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I was just listening to Scott Reitz's story about his partner using the roof mounted can light, the PA, and the radio mic as a poly for a suspect. You'd be hard pressed to prove it's more/less reliable than a real machine.
    Many moons ago I saw some creative officers run some copper wire from a collander to a copy machine. They also placed a sheet of paper with the word "LIE" in large type on the glass. They put the collander on the head of some crook and after every question, the 'Examiner' pressed the print button and held up the results. Poor dumb crook. Turns out dumbass didn't do the crime in question. But he did confess to a separate burglary.

Site Supporter
    My experience was doing background investigations for TS clearances and CI investigations. A poly would be done only if credible derog was developed during the investigation. If the subject came up DI on the poly, more interviews followed. Polys were rarely done.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

User Tag List