Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police pre employment polygraph questions

Police pre employment polygraph questions

I’ve been tasked w revamping our background check process and I’m looking for input. I know some agencies actually have 2 polygraph tests - one before and one after a conditional job offer. I’m look for examples of the questions asked in the second polygraph. Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Sorry I don’t think my post will be helpful.

Who uses two polygraph tests? Why? No offense but fuck that. Mine lasted 3 and a half hours and the guy running it was an asshole. I walked out feeling low and thinking there’s no way I’ll get hired. I hates them I do. One bad experience sours the bunch.

We did have a pre polygraph interview with a hiring Detective going through the questions you’d likely be asked.

As a side note after I’d been on awhile and asked around a little I learned the guy who interviewed me wasn’t liked and my opinion of him was shared. I worked with a guy for thirty years who failed his first poly given by my guy. He failed it. He went to DPS and passed theirs. The hiring Sergeant brought him back for another poly by another examiner which he passed. He was hired and was three classes ahead of me in the Academy. He was a K9 legend.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    My experience as well. My entire academy class had nightmares about the poly. The examiner told me I failed, when I didn't. This department was 4 hours from home, and hired me.

That was the second poly. On the first one I fell for the lie told by the examiner: "be honest, tell us everything. Nothing in this interview will be used against you unless you are lying." Was inconclusive on that one and barred from ever reapplying. Dry ice bombs as a teen. On private property. With no damage. No law enforcement contact. Bounced and barred for admitting to a 4th degree felony for constructing an explosive device, and a 3rd degree felony for detonaring it. I was honest, the poly did not detect deception, and it was my pre poly interview that got me bounced and barred.

Even when that agency was falling all over itself to hire tons of cops with bonuses and more pay, I refused to apply on principle.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve been tasked w revamping our background check process and I’m looking for input. I know some agencies actually have 2 polygraph tests - one before and one after a conditional job offer. I’m look for examples of the questions asked in the second polygraph. Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks
    Polygraph is only as good as the examiner. It’s basically an interview prop.

CBP has had significant issues with their contract polygraphers. One of my co-worker’s wife applied for CBP and it turned into an internal affairs investigation. The examiner give her his hotel room key and told her she would fail if she didn’t come to his room and….

That said I recall someone (possibly @BehinfBlueI’s ) mentioned his agency recently added a question about masturbation while at work which has eliminated significant numbers of candidates.

The only thing a polygraph does is show consistency in responses.

Other than that, I really do think its almost worthless given how many people walk out of their polygraphs thinking that the examiner was biased as hell. We've all heard the stories of polygraphist's and psychologists failing applicants for whatever their own inherent bias or agenda may be.

Having said that, the two thoughts above are from my uneducated point of view having been the recipient of two polygraphs during my hiring process.

Site Supporter
    Lon, what is the reasoning behind a second polygraph exam? Unless there is a significant amount of time between the original poly and the conditional offer, it would seem to be redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s basically an interview prop.
    Keeping in mind that the same person who invented it also invented Wonder Woman's lasso of truth.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

That said I recall someone (possibly @BehinfBlueI’s ) mentioned his agency recently added a question about masturbation while at work which has eliminated significant numbers of candidates.
    Yup. The most common reason given was 'stress relief'.

Polygraphs are modern day casting of bones. A way to scare the ignorant and nothing more*. Never admit to knowing how the polygraph works or they'll accuse you of using countermeasures. Just be ignorant.

*if it's done honestly. If it's done dishonestly, it's a way to fail 'undesirables' from the process without admitting what you're doing. Oh, gosh, they failed the poly. Oh no. We liked them so much...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Agree with BBI.

I’ve had 4 over the span of my employment with 2 police departments. Big waste of time.

My last one was earlier this year. Retirees can come back part time but have to go through the whole process other than the PT test. There’s one specifically for them but it’s a cake walk.

PG interviewer: “Mr Lwt16. Have you ever carried a firearm concealed? “

Me: “Yes, I have one on me right now, Kathy”.

PGI: “Oh, really? Gee, you hide it well. I didn’t even see it when I put the chest thingies on you.” She used the correct term for chest thingies.

PGI “Okay. Mr Lwt16. Have you ever discharged a firearm at someone?”

Me: “Yes, you know that Kathy. Are we about done?”

PGI: “Oh yeah, how’d that trial turn out?” Huge explanation of all that drama followed.

Pure silliness.

She’s a retiree as well so I guess whatever she was charging the city was worth it to her. To me it was a waste of an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Lon, what is the reasoning behind a second polygraph exam? Unless there is a significant amount of time between the original poly and the conditional offer, it would seem to be redundant.
    The reasoning behind the 2nd poly (from what I’ve been told) is that you can ask certain questions after someone has signed a conditional job offer that you cannot ask before the conditional. That’s one of the things I’m learning about.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List