Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver equivalent of the "field pistol"

Revolver equivalent of the "field pistol"

The USP field pistol thread has a wealth of information. In my area, wheel guns are not all that popular as outdoorsman guns, hence the following question. What would the reccomended setup for a person facing both two legged and four legged threats be in term of
    1.) Calibre
    2.) Barrel length
    3.) Suggested brands/models

Site Supporter
    We did a thread on that a while back, while you wait to see what folks say check this out:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....cussion-thread

Edit to add: to actually answer the question while I have used a 4” Model 29 as a hunting back up in the past my ideal would be a 4” .357, probably a GP100 if I had to pick something in production today. The N frame grips are just a little too big for my hands. If the problems with the seven shot cylinder have been worked out I’d go with that otherwise the standard six would do.
    Last edited by sharps54; 07-08-2022 at 05:36 AM. Reason: To answer question

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    The USP field pistol thread has a wealth of information. In my area, wheel guns are not all that popular as outdoorsman guns, hence the following question. What would the recommended setup for a person facing both two legged and four legged threats be in term of
    1.) Calibre
    2.) Barrel length
    3.) Suggested brands/models
    What size four-legged critters are you facing?

What weight of gun are you comfortable carrying?

Do you reload or would you be using factory cartridges?
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 07-08-2022 at 06:41 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

It will be used when hunting. I'm out here in South Africa where the farm I frequently hunt has the big 5. Weight is not a huge consideration as it will be carried OWB. Though I'm not a very large built person. I reload exclusively for all my calibres.
    Thanks, missed the other thread. Reading it now.

@Lost River pretty much nailed it with the N-frame Smith & Wessons in the first post of that thread. Any cartridge that starts with "4" would be fine, although 44 Magnum has the edge in logistics. I'd want a 240-250-grain cast SWC or LFN at 1,100-ish fps. For hotter loads, I'd want a Ruger Redhawk.

With bears out of the mix, a 38 Special with a cast SWC or LFN at 900-ish fps ought to be plenty. There's also a strong case to be made for the 22 LR, especially one of the jewel-like 4" J-frame guns with adjustable sights.

Single-action revolvers are fine, but the more likely the problems are to have two legs, the more I'd want a double-action and a handful of speedloaders.

Barrels between 4 and 5 1/2" in length make the most sense.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    It will be used when hunting. I'm out here in South Africa where the farm I frequently hunt has the big 5. Weight is not a huge consideration as it will be carried OWB. Though I'm not a very large built person. I reload exclusively for all my calibres.
    Thanks, missed the other thread. Reading it now.
    Africa? Why didn't you say so?

http://www.reinfjord.net/art/ross%20...045%20colt.pdf

The guy who built that revolver also wrote this: https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

To make a long story short, scroll to the very bottom of the article.

The Ruger New Model Blackhawk is a pretty good place to start.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 8.16.29 AM.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  43.4 KB

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

In my particular area (Pacific Northwest/Washington State), where the primary 4-leggged concerns are black bear and mountain lion/cougar, I'm fine with .357 magnum; my choice is Ruger GP100 or Blackhawk for hunting, but for a hunting backup gun, I prefer a .40 Gen4 Glock G22 with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator cartridges, or my Glock G21 in .45 ACP with similar.

My logic is that if I'm surprised by something moving fast, especially in low or contrasty light, I want the capability of quick multiple shots with a greater capacity than 6 rounds on board, and an easy manual of arms for reloading if necessary. I also like the greater weather/environmental imperviousness of the Glock.

Best, Jon

Gun writer Ross Seyfried was at one time an African PH.

His choice was the 4” S&W .44 magnum.

He contributed to the design of the S&W 629 Mountain Gun as the perfect field pistol.

I met Ross at the SHOT show in 1991 and unlike most gun rag hacks, he is the REAL DEAL. He has done everything he wrote about and done it superlatively: IPSC World Champion, big game guide on two continents, a highly skilled handgun hunter and wing shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I met Ross at the SHOT show in 1991 and unlike most gun rag hacks, he is the REAL DEAL. He has done everything he wrote about and done it superlatively: IPSC World Champion, big game guide on two continents, a highly skilled handgun hunter and wing shot.
    And he can explain everything clearly without wallowing in his own glory. If anyone ever needed to write a book--even just a compilation of his articles--then it's him.

Okie John

Thanks guys, reading the attached resources. The reality is when out hunting at least one of us has the 375h&h or larger with us. I have also deliberated whether a larger calibre semi auto than the usual G19 with 147gr Rangers may be a better option given my parameters especially with regards to the prevalence of two legged threats here.

User Tag List