Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    On the topic of suicides, when I looked into firearms ownership rates versus firearms-related deaths in countries for which data is available, Switzerland stood out as another high-suicide-rate country.
    wikiwand.com/en/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate:
    South Korea  21.2
    United States 14.5
    Japan 12.2
    Switzerland 9.8
    France 9.7
    Czech Republic 9.5
    Germany 8.3
    Denmark 7.6
    (suicide rates per 100,000 population, 2019)

I don't think, Switzerland has a high suicide-rate. Can you link your source? What you've perhaps read: A high suicide-rate with guns in Switzerland. But over-all similar to other western European countries, I would say. In countries with less guns, people use other means to commit suicide.

I included Czech Republic in the list because they have the most libertarian firearms law in the EU (as far as I know). France gun law is similar to Germany's (mediocre).
    Last edited by P30; 07-09-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Pics seem to show batteries on the underside of the board, suggesting electrical ignition. I could see something like home made black powder and model rocket ignitors.
    That would be my guess, as well. I'm old enough to remember when the coated model rocket igniters came out. Before, one had to loop nichrome wire around the tip of a pencil a few times to make a little coil, tape that up into the engine's nozzle. Apply battery power and maybe, just maybe, the rocket would launch in ten to fifteen seconds. The coated wires made for near-instantaneous ignition.

For a one-shot weapon with black powder, it's probably be far more reliable than any other method.

Unless fireworks are totally banned, there's nothing there than can't be sourced in any modern nation.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when the coated model rocket igniters came out.
    Congratulations on making it this far!

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I read an old Gun Digest from the early 80's that had plans for an electronically ignited black powder pistol that used model aircraft glow plugs for ignition.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Me, too. There was also a commercial electric muzzleloader.

I suspect the assassin to have used fireworks powder and was smart enough to use the lifting charge, not the bursting charge.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Me, too. There was also a commercial electric muzzleloader.

I suspect the assassin to have used fireworks powder and was smart enough to use the lifting charge, not the bursting charge.
    Or maybe it was just homemade, which isn’t that hard if you can source all 3 ingredients. A friend’s dad who was big into the mountain man lore and mythology made a small batch when we were kids, he showed us all the different steps. Then we got to watch him shoot it off in his Hawkins (with no bullet, just paper wadding) on the 4th. Yeah, it was as awesome as you would think it was for an 10 y.o. kid.

Yes, I know the methods are well circulated.
    Maybe they will show his facilities.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Or maybe it was just homemade, which isn’t that hard if you can source all 3 ingredients.
    1,000+ year-old chemistry. When you think about it, what he made was a two-shot hand-cannon with a modern ignition source.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List