Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot

Site Supporter
    I am sorry for the loss of those who knew Abe-San. He was certainly a friend of the US and Taiwan as well as a good leader of Japan.

This assassination proves that bad people will have guns regardless of gun control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    What's the longest someone has been in cardiopulmonary arrest and survived? I know a few hypothermia cases have been over 4 hours, but I'm wondering about for normal body temperature... I'm assuming they were manually or mechanically pumping blood for those 4 hours?
    Without trauma, there have been a very few cases of survival with good neurological outcomes after about 1 hour, up to a possibly unique case of about 3.5 hours (A Case of Survival after Cardiac Arrest and 3½ Hours of Resuscitation). In that case, the patient went into arrest in a hospital setting and had every available option used, and (perhaps significantly) started hypothermic therapy and ECMO near the end of the 3.5 hours of arrest.

For traumatic cardiac arrest, which is also almost by definition outside of a hospital setting, the overall rates are starkly low just for survival at all, and tiny for survival with good neurological outcomes. In a recent Korean study that would be relatively comparable to the conditions of care in Japan: "The overall survival rate was 18.4% (traffic accident 18.0%, fall 16.4%, collision 32.0%, stab injury 14.2%, and gunshot injury 12.5%). Good neurological outcome was achieved in 0.8% of all patients (traffic accident 0.8%, fall 0.8%, collision 1.2%, stab injury 0.8%, and gunshot injury 0.0%)."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    What's the longest someone has been in cardiopulmonary arrest and survived? I know a few hypothermia cases have been over 4 hours, but I'm wondering about for normal body temperature... I'm assuming they were manually or mechanically pumping blood for those 4 hours?
    Hypothermia is a bit of a different critter. We will actually put a patient into hypothermia if we successfully resuscitate a cardiac arrest and they're unresponsive...typically because it saves tissue from damage and we want to save as much brain tissue as possible so they can hope to make a reasonable recovery.

In terms of successful resuscitation of a long term cardiac arrest, it gets pretty grim after a few minutes of pulselessness. And the longer it goes the less likely it is to succeed.

The ICU team at my hospital has successfully resuscitated human bodies after 20-30 minutes or longer, but they'll typically have so much hypoxic encephalopathy that all that's left of them is some reflex functions and the basic, life sustaining functions of their body.

The term I have taken to using has been "neurologically devastated"

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Hypothermia is a bit of a different critter. We will actually put a patient into hypothermia if we successfully resuscitate a cardiac arrest and they're unresponsive...typically because it saves tissue from damage and we want to save as much brain tissue as possible so they can hope to make a reasonable recovery.

In terms of successful resuscitation of a long term cardiac arrest, it gets pretty grim after a few minutes of pulselessness. And the longer it goes the less likely it is to succeed.

The ICU team at my hospital has successfully resuscitated human bodies after 20-30 minutes or longer, but they'll typically have so much hypoxic encephalopathy that all that's left of them is some reflex functions and the basic, life sustaining functions of their body.

The term I have taken to using has been "neurologically devastated"

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Essentially you're providing them opportunity for them to be organ donors.

People have grief covered but "shot off a soapbox with a homemade pipe gun" is a much better obituary than most of us could ever hope for.

Site Supporter
    From a Facebook page I follow. Supposedly the homemade shotgun used.

Name:  ShotGun.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  43.0 KB

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’m having a hard time with my limited knowledge of protective services understanding how a guy got so close to Abe San with such a bulky weapon (it’s certainly no LCP) to deliver the fatal blow? I can’t imagine a western protective detail of such a high profile individual allowing such proximity. Is it because handguns are so rare in Japan that it just isn’t considered as big a threat?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 07-08-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    From a Facebook page I follow. Supposedly the homemade shotgun used.

Name:  ShotGun.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  43.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I’m having a hard time with my limited knowledge of protective services understanding how a guy got so close to Abe San with such a bulky weapon (it’s certainly no LCP) to deliver the fatal blow? I can’t imagine a western protective detail of such a high profile individual allowing such proximity. Is it because handguns are so rare in Japan that it just isn’t considered as big a threat?
    How bulky is it really, though? Clunky, for sure, but look at the shoe behind it. Just doesn’t look that big.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Abe-sori is a personal friend of fourteen years, we first met immediately after his first term as Prime Minister, as he resumed his position as the president of the All-Japan Archery Federation, which I have served since 1994 as a technical advisor. He was an archer in his university years.

I last saw him in December 2019 at a mutual friend’s wedding in Osaka.

I am beyond devastated. One expects this sort of danger for a prominent politician just about anywhere, but not Japan.
    Man, sorry to hear that.

Dan Bongino opined today that his security detail seemed to be operating bass ackwards compared to USSS training and standards.

If they got the basic response wrong, what else was wrong at the time?

pat

User Tag List