Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada out of internet

Site Supporter

Canada out of internet

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/08/11105...nternet-outage

I don’t know much about this but that sucks in the life of interconnectivity. Hope this gets sorted soon

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2022/07/08/11105...nternet-outage

I don’t know much about this but that sucks in the life of interconnectivity. Hope this gets sorted soon
    That explains the glaring lack of @Maple Syrup Actual in some of the recent threads…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Providers didn't get vaccinated.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Do I post a Richard Stallman macro or Kaczynski?

Time to get the beavers back up on the running wheel.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Someone say something unkind to Castreau?

https://yewtu.be/OtLmNnhlMY0

https://yewtu.be/rT-p2_jlB-0

* No networking, so malware is not an issue.

Day by day, however, the machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them; more men are daily bound down as slaves to tend them, more men are daily devoting the energies of their whole lives to the development of mechanical life. The upshot is simply a question of time, but that the time will come when the machines will hold the real supremacy over the world and its inhabitants is what no person of a truly philosophic mind can for a moment question.

Our opinion is that war to the death should be instantly proclaimed against them. Every machine of every sort should be destroyed by the well-wisher of his species. Let there be no exceptions made, no quarter shown; let us at once go back to the primeval condition of the race. If it be urged that this is impossible under the present condition of human affairs, this at once proves that the mischief is already done, that our servitude has commenced in good earnest, that we have raised a race of beings whom it is beyond our power to destroy, and that we are not only enslaved but are absolutely acquiescent in our bondage.
    - Butler, Samuel. Darwin Among the Machines (To the Editor of the Press, Christchurch, New Zealand [13 June, 1863])
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 07-09-2022 at 11:35 AM.

Did they have to reboot after the spyware upgrade?

Castreau trying to avoid the Sri Lanka treatment?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That explains the glaring lack of @Maple Syrup Actual in some of the recent threads…
    Ironically this is almost the opposite of the truth in the most complex way possible:

The company that had the outage is currently trying to buy the company I work for, and as a result I've been incredibly busy recently (also a random other thing I do is eating a ton of time but my day shifts are done at a sprint pace all day as we frantically try to get everything up to speed before any buyout happens) and the outage was so damaging I suspect it bought me another month before the deal could go through...so I actually might have a little more time again.

But I finally took a bit of vacation and was at my cabin for a week. Sometime around Thursday I turned my phone on and discovered I had no reception, which isn't that unusual, but I wanted a look at the weather so I walked down to a spot where there's always been reception, and still nothing.

It was a bit surprising but we were at the beach so I didn't focus too much on it, and about two hours later my phone buzzed in my pocket so I looked at it and saw it give me a good connection for about ten seconds, then nothing again. In that ten seconds I got an emergency notification, so of course I opened that up, and it was notifying me about the lack of connectivity, which of course made me burst out laughing.

Anyway, very strange. Public sentiment about it is fairly hostile, but personally I think this has less to do with it being an egregious act by the company that had the shutdown, and more to do with the failure of a lot of major services to have a reliable failover system, which to me is the big story everyone is ignoring here.

I also think it's a pretty interesting glimpse of just how fragile the world we've built can be, which, again, a lot of people really don't want to face. In another topical irony, I suspect there is a strong correlation with ability to/insistence on working from home for covid, and complete refusal to face the reality of systemic fragility.

But that's another story.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List