Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MINIMALIST kydex holster for a J frame?

Site Supporter

MINIMALIST kydex holster for a J frame?

Hey does anybody know of a good MINIMALIST IWB holster for a J frame. I am re-aquiring a J frame and nearly all the holsters I have seen out there that are good in concept for a mid size 9mm (read glock 19) are merely resized slightly for other pistols, to include the J frame revolver. I may just end up carrying sans holster with a barami hip grip, but I am looking for a very minimalistic IWB holster that will fit a J frame that uses thin kydex and the least amount of material necessary to retain the gun (to include smallish attachment straps).

Jason,
    Your biggest problem is likely to be that without a fair amount of material in the holster, it may be really uncomfortable. Many have found that holsters for longer guns (like a G19 in a G17 holster) is more comfortable because that extra material stabilizes the gun. I guess if you're not going to be carrying it a lot, maybe running out to walk the dog or something like that, a Barami isn't a terrible choice, I have one but haven't used it in years. Relatively comfortable, certainly easy on and off, but no retention whatsoever and it rides so low on the belt that drawing is a two finger process.
    If you're going to ccw a j frame all the time, buy a good IWB that will e comfortable and secure.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I understand all the issues, I have been carrying concealed for over 16 years in one capacity or another. Mostly its been Glock 19's and a glock 26 with a Kahr PM9 thown in. But for just stepping out of the house for a brief period of time I am looking for something very minimalistic for the J frame. With the weight of the J frame I dont think it is necessary to have a holster as long as what is used to stabilize a larger gun. Plus, keep in mind all the weight of the j frame is in front of the hand as you hold it. With a Semi, allot of it is in the slide or in the grip when fully loaded. This pulls the gun down if you dont have material to stabilize it. With a J frame it is lighter in the grip area, so if anything this helps keep it down.

I guess you got it covered then
    if you want to try a Barami without laying out the cash, shoot me a pm, you're welcome to borrow mine and see if it does the trick

Site Supporter
    Thanks, thats a very friendly offer, but I have on on its way anyway. I may try that for a while and a kydex if I can find one that fits the bill. Everything just seems to be made for Mid size semi-autos with none taking full advantage of the special qualities of the J Frame.

Site Supporter
    You may want to consider the CustomCarryConcepts Versaclip:

http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/...=3&productId=9

Garrity made a fairly minimalist IWB for my wife, with a steel clip on the outside. Works well for when you just want to grab it and step out side.

I am looking for something a long these lines also.
    Chemist.

This might be a little bit of a dead thread, so I'll apologize in advance for the necropost.

The most minimalist IWB holster out there for the J-Frames would likely be the Mr Softy from High Noon Holsters. Quite minimalist, but made of leather. Well made, good materials (not like DelFatti quality leather or anything, but more than up to the job).

Comfort is so-so, but that could just be because my love handles make holster fit a PITA. I keep the S&W M&P 360 in it and use it as the late night dog walking gun (i.e. when I really don't want to deal with a real weapon and am just walking around the block).

Only real downside I can think of is re-holstering. Being a J-frame though, I always figured that it can "re-holster" into a pocket on my jeans if need be.

For $29 and with a 30 day return policy, it is worth a try.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod..._mr_softy.html

Site Supporter
    No need to apologize for a necro post. Looking for Kydex here. I think the Concealed Carry Concepts Versaclip is the best kydex iteration of this, but he isnt taking new orders right now (bummed). Worth the wait however.

User Tag List