Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock grip inserts and POI

Glock grip inserts and POI

Hey!

Guys,

I am one of those people who shoots low and left with my Glocks when I shoot them after a hiatus. The solution is to give it more finger which usually becomes second nature after a few mags. BUUt has anyone tried swapping out the various inserts to see if it has a repeatable effect on POI? I have my theories, but I am curious if anyone has tried to demonstrate results empirically.

Usually, a Glock points high for people used to other platforms. Low left for a righty is typically grip and/or trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Usually, a Glock points high for people used to other platforms. Low left for a righty is typically grip and/or trigger.
    This^^^

The Glock is particularly sensitive to grip and trigger finger placement errors.

If you want to shoot a Glock well you need to shoot it like a Glock not like everything else. Particularly stock Glocks. IME if you want to shoot a Glock at a high-level you need to primarily shoot Glocks.

Absolutely guys! It is definitely me. As I said, when I shoot Glocks primarily, the issue goes away. The most annoying thing is that I can float from 1911, to HK, to Beretta, to CZ, to S&W with no issue, but if I shoot the Glock after being away for a awhile....bam I am shooting left with the Glock. Its a well known issue with even shooters like Larry Vickers acknowledging sometimes he just drifts the sights.

Anyway, has anyone actually tried the various grips to see if they might give some unexpected results with regard to this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

Anyway, has anyone actually tried the various grips to see if they might give some unexpected results with regard to this issue?
    Yes and no. I've experimented with/without the M-backstrap on both my Glock 19 and 34 several times. Ultimately there wasn't any specific "aha" moment after each change; I always had to focus on trigger control to avoid shooting low and away.

At my last class with Tim Herron in February, he looked at my forearm to gun alignment and suggested I rotate the gun slightly, so they were straighter. The change was small, but had a very positive impact on my shooting results almost immediately. I think this underscores the importance of having a good diagnostic instructor look at you shoot to correct systemic errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Absolutely guys! It is definitely me. As I said, when I shoot Glocks primarily, the issue goes away. The most annoying thing is that I can float from 1911, to HK, to Beretta, to CZ, to S&W with no issue, but if I shoot the Glock after being away for a awhile....bam I am shooting left with the Glock. Its a well known issue with even shooters like Larry Vickers acknowledging sometimes he just drifts the sights.

I do. Kind of.

For my competition guns, I have to experiment with different size grips to place the trigger finger where it’s most ergonomic for me.

But low and left is a wrist thing generally not a trigger finger issue.

When you say you can float from non Glock platforms “without an issue,” what’s actually going on is that the lighter and shorter strokes mask the issue you’re actually having.

If you practice with a heavy DA revolver, it’ll smooth out your Glock press.

You might actually benefit from a smaller Glock backstrap so you get more mechanical advantage of the trigger finger and it might help prevent your wrist from trying to get in on the action.

No backstrap seems to have less of an angle than a standard Glock grip angle (Gen 3 or 4/5 with med backstrap). I end up putting a med backstrap on to give me more to hang onto (more purchase for my off hand).

I’ve been putting cut down medium adapters on my RDS equipped Glocks, and may start adding them to all. It makes a difference for me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I added the medium backstrap to my Gen5 G26 (and Gen4 G17) so that they would approximate my Gen2/3 G19 and Gen2.5 G26.

I found that without the medium backstrap, it felt a little squirrelly in my hands. The extra surface area mated better with my hands and left fewer voids.

The Talon Grip that @TC215 sent me made it even better.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

In my opinion, several factors that affect a lot of Glock shooters are the relationship of the:

• Grip arch to the beavertail
    • Grip arch to the grip angle
    • Gun hand to both points
    • Gap created in between

Because of the S-curve shape of the backstrap, there's a gap or low point created in between the beavertail and grip arch. It seems like this creates a disparity in grip pressure across the backstrap. You have high points at the arch and beavertail, a low point in between, and uneven grip pressure applied. I could see this leading to weird fulcrum-like characteristics. This is probably further exacerbated due to the grip angle and corresponding wrist angle required.

In my opinion, the Gen3 is worst at this due to the size of the arch creating a more significant low point in the S-curve. Gen1-2 are better. Gen4-5 are improved over Gen3. In general, I feel like building up the beavertail area to reduce the shallow part of the S-curve helps a LOT. There's the Grip Force Adapter as one option. For Gen4-5, you can also take a beavertail backstrap and cut the bottom portion to reduce the low point in the grip.

As an example, this isn't an exclusive issue to Glocks. IMO, the HK P30 and VP series also have a degree of this, at least with the larger backstraps. On those, I think the issue is masked a bit more due to the grip angle.

User Tag List