Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RDS-specific Drill or Training Program?

RDS-specific Drill or Training Program?

I'm new to RDS and am wondering if there is a specific drill progression that is recommended? I did search here but didn't find anything. I can certainly make one up on my own, based on mastering presentation from low-ready, from holster, transitions, etc., but if someone has already found an efficient system that works, I'd appreciate it.

So, this is an interesting one. I have friends and people I respect who don't think anything special needs to be done and I've got friends/those I respect who disagree.

Some thoughts based on what has worked in classes & feedback from others ...
    - work your draw, the presentation in reverse. Instead of starting at the holster, start with the dot on target and being the gun back to blew your chin & then back on target, repeat. Then from where your hands to the dot on target, etc. Regularly add that into dry practice.
    - dry practice & live fire occluded optic drills. I'll use blue painter's tape on the downrange side of the optic. Dominant eye sees the dot but not the target, the non-dom eye sees the target but not the dot. 90+% of the time the brain puts the images together and it breaks front sight focus.
    - Add in the acquisition, re-acquisition of the dot when transitioning between targets, after reloads, stoppages, & the like.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I'm new to RDS and am wondering if there is a specific drill progression that is recommended? I did search here but didn't find anything. I can certainly make one up on my own, based on mastering presentation from low-ready, from holster, transitions, etc., but if someone has already found an efficient system that works, I'd appreciate it.
    Max Michel Patreon
    Train with Max.

Full program with drills and demonstrations.

Great tips from the posts above. Dry practice is the way. I have the Laserpet 2/LASERHIT system and I have thousands of draws on them. You need one of these systems they are worth their weight in gold.

1) You have to train your brain to stay target focused throughout the entire process. From the target ID to the presentation, trigger pull and whatever your process is getting back to the holster. It sounds simple, but I catch myself almost subconsciously shifting my focus from the target back to the optic at times. Possibly from shooting front-sight focus for so many years. I believe many shooters do this and don't even know there doing it. Don't "Hunt for the dot". Stay target focused. It can be trickier than it sounds.

2) "Drop from 12 o'clock". This helped me acquire the dot on presentation. You always want the dot to drop from 12 o'clock, so it falls into your view onto target reliably. An effective high draw, to a high presentation. You're driving the gun forward on an angle, as subtle as it needs to be, so that the dot drops from 12 o'clock right as you reach full extension. I believe Pat Mcnamara did a short Youtube vid on the technique.

3) Don't train for speed/complexity at first. Simple dry practice draws. Be smooth and work on the target focus/draw/dot acquisition.

4) I carry the ACRO P2. I like it a lot and it will stay as my primary optic, but in all honesty I've seen the Holosun 509 with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. It is a lot easier to pick up. Make sure you do your homework on dot choice.

5) Good chance that once you go dots you'll never go back. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Triarii View Post
    2) "Drop from 12 o'clock". This helped me acquire the dot on presentation. You always want the dot to drop from 12 o'clock, so it falls into your view onto target reliably. An effective high draw, to a high presentation. You're driving the gun forward on an angle, as subtle as it needs to be, so that the dot drops from 12 o'clock right as you reach full extension. I believe Pat Mcnamara did a short Youtube vid on the technique.
    Going to give a big “fuck no” to this one.
    That’s a training wheel crutch to an inefficient draw.

It’s such a “no” that it even has a name: “fishing / casting” and is specifically derided by good shooters.

The gun comes from below so if you keep the muzzle presenting at the target the dot will come from slightly below.

If you drop from 12 o clock high you’re streaking the muzzle from above which is inefficient and induces angular momentum that adds slop.

Play it in slow motion if that helps.

Press out instead of drop down and you can get this kind of speed and accuracy.

Site Supporter
    You should consider getting formal training with a reputable instructor as soon as possible. I spent about a year experimenting with pistol mounted optics before taking a specialized class on the subject with Scott Jedlinksi of Modern Samurai Project.

Based on my experience, I can say that it would have been far more efficient and cost effective to have trained with Scott much closer to the beginning of my pistol mounted optics journey before wasting thousands of rounds doing it far less efficiently trying to figure it out on my own with only the internet as a resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@dogcaller

You’ll get all kinds of half assed advice from different people in their development, so that’s why I like the Max Michel program so much. You have a world class teacher and shooter that is in the prime of his ability. Not a has been or someone who did something 15 years ago.

I like Aaron Cowan’s “nose to backplate” advice on finding the dot on press out.

Here’s a video I just made on why porpoise draws are stupid.

My noob wife with the “nose to backplate” advice can do a non porpoise draw and find her dot just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    You should consider getting formal training with a reputable instructor as soon as possible. I spent about a year experimenting with pistol mounted optics before taking a specialized class on the subject with Scott Jedlinksi of Modern Samurai Project.

Based on my experience, I can say that it would have been far more efficient and cost effective to have trained with Scott much closer to the beginning of my pistol mounted optics journey before wasting thousands of rounds doing it far less efficiently trying to figure it out on my own with only the internet as a resource.

Yeah, would you believe I recently (barely) missed the opportunity to train with E. Langdon, practically in my back yard, and I’m shooting an LTT 92RDO… 😖

MSP and Sage Dynamics are sold out for the foreseeable future…

Site Supporter
    Yeah, would you believe I recently (barely) missed the opportunity to train with E. Langdon, practically in my back yard, and I’m shooting an LTT 92RDO… [emoji37]

MSP and Sage Dynamics are sold out for the foreseeable future…
    I hear you - it took a long time for the planets to align for me to take Jedi’s class as well. In the meantime, there are at least some MSP endorsed instructors who might be more available sooner. For example, Gil Narveaz of Fortitude Consulting was Jedi’s assistant instructor for my class, and he was an excellent teacher and shooter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Some thoughts based on what has worked in classes & feedback from others ...
    See if this makes sense... Along my dot journey, I took specific PMO instructor courses and used one through several handgun classes. Putting the pieces together, I find that there's less a need for a particular, dot-centric process and more for a dot-minded approach applying normal fundamentals. Four things to do...

1) acquisition- presentations for holster, normal firing positions, irregular firing positions, dry and live
    2) tracking- singles emphasizing follow-through and target focus, then varying cadences and distances
    3) alternative sighting methods
    4) installation and PM

Everything added something, but I think I got the most work and PMO lightbulb-moments during the weekend of Confined Space Pistol Skills with @Jackdog and Caleb, followed by High Accountability Pistol with @Dagga Boy and @Wayne Dobbs. Lots of applied basics through normal and abnormal conditions and high accuracy expectations.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List