Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most comfortable/concealable G17 OWB holster

Site Supporter
    In leather Milt Sparks 55BN.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

To illustrate
    Name:  IMG_20220816_102853.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  74.9 KB

The rear sight is not tucked in very tight

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    To illustrate
    Name:  IMG_20220816_102853.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  74.9 KB

The rear sight is not tucked in very tight
    My, er… circumference is bigger than yours, so I get good tuck and concealment with this style holster. I think @TheNewbie is more your build, so he should probably try first.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    The best OWB holster I have used is a Kramer Belt Scabbard. However, I have not worn an OWB holster in years, since I find that IWB is better for my needs.

Glock’s Sport/Combat holster is surprisingly good for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I have had a love hate relationship with OWB carry for almost a decade and have amassed a number of OWB rigs. I have found a few things to know before engaging in a holster search.

1) Decide where you want to carry 230, 300, 330, 4, 430, 500. Open button down shirts and suit jackets blow open in the wind and don't conceal 230/300 as much as I would like.

2) The size of your waist. If you are smaller waisted like me (I'm 32-33 pant) and you want to wear around 230 or 300, you have to find a holster that can really bend around the waist. Not many do. Pancake style are awful and and you will have major gaps in your belt because the holster won't bend. Raven Perun and the JM OWB 2 (small waisted version) configured in straight drop falls into this category for me - the butt of the gun is sticking out so bad. There was a company that made an "offset" style construction in straight drop (Andrews Leather) that was the best I've found for comfort and concealability for a g19 but I didn't like other things about it. I wish this design of holster was more prevalent to have more options but its the only one I've found. Offset construction is not only more comfortable but also more concealable as it kicks the but of the gun in. The JRC SSA was also pretty good but he just announced he is no longer making holsters. I have a straight drop Milt Sparks 55BN which is amazingly made but just doesn't conceal well at 230/300

3) Cant - Anything for me at approximately 3:00 to 5 I need cant. You have may have to articulate your wrist more for the draw than you want for the specific location though which I hate (for example I want straight drop at 300 but I need cant at that position to conceal it). If you are ok with cant and around 4/430 the Raven Perun (configured for cant) is a no brainer for the price. It conceals pretty well and is comfortable. A bunch of the OGs on this forum like SLG and the Louisiana troopers raved about the Mitch Rosen 5JR for comfort and concealability back in the day. They also make an "offset" construction of it called the president which I imagine is even more comfortable. Galco makes a similar offset construction (they call it forward molded) called the concealable belt holster. I've never tried them as I am not sure they make it for optics on a G19. I also have an old Raven with standard belt loop up front and pancake in the back that is awesome - I never use it anymore because it doesn't really fit a gen5 with optics and I am not sure I want to mod it.

4) Rib cage - getting the part of the gun below the beavertail where the web of your hand goes positioned so that your rib cage fits in there will help with the poking issues.

5) Rear belt loop - I haven't searched for OWB recently but if you need to tuck the butt of the gun the rear belt loop on the holster is key. The raven pancake and the JRC SSA where the rear belt loop is is in line with the center of the pistol (and not really curved at all) makes a world of difference in concealing the butt of the gun. I wish the perun had that option but it sadly doesn't. Most pancake and avenger-style leather holsters **look** like they will work but they are actually too curved or have so much leather in the loop that it just kicks the gun out too far.

Hope this helps you. Report back what you decided and how it works. I'm always looking for new solutions to this problem.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 08-26-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Ended up with a JMCK OWB 1. Looks great but I haven’t had time to try it yet but I look forward to doing so. I’m sure this won’t be my last OWB holster for the Glock.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Look forward to some leather gear at some point as well.

The problem with holsters is that they accumulate in a box, a grave yard of holsters that I thought were a good idea at the time. I look in that box occasionally and chuckle. At the same time, it is a time capsule of products no longer made. I have discovered that my Sam Browne duty belt has shrunk with decades of non-use. Funny how leather does that.

One of the holsters in my collection: Mine was the Bianchi model 2800 plain leather, non-swivel. They definitely aren't made for quickness of draw in a seated position.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220605...front-part-ii/

I like Crossbreed combination holsters. I get this one in horsehide because it has the largest piece of leather. The horsehide is stiffer and stronger than the other leather but it still ends up conforming itself to my body. I cut the leather down to fit me and the pistol best. You can cut it w/ almost anything and then smooth the edges w/ some 100grit sandpaper.
    https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/s...b-holster.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Ended up with a JMCK OWB 1. Looks great but I haven’t had time to try it yet but I look forward to doing so. I’m sure this won’t be my last OWB holster for the Glock.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Look forward to some leather gear at some point as well.
    Interested in your findings.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Interested in your findings.

I like it a lot. The quality of it is obvious and it carries the G17 well.

That said, I really need to get a Wilderness belt. The garith (sp?) I have is good for a G26 or LCR, but is not the best for the G17. Additionally I have lost a decent amount of weight over the last 6 months. By cutting out all wheat and peanut products, and eating a bit less, I’ve lost around 15 pounds without even really trying. Didn’t even really plan to lose weight as I wasn’t all that pudgy in the first place.

The upside is I feel better, the down side it seems to effect how the gun feels on my waist. Hitting the bone a bit, but that can be overcame I believe. Just trial and error.

I need bigger shirts as well. I’m no buff dude, but I lift enough that even large shirts are affected by my shoulders and chest. Just a little longer and all would be well.

The holster is top quality, and will conceal well given the correct garments. A guy not much bigger than I would have even less issues, and a G19 or G26 would be a non issue.

The holster is a quality purchase, I just need to get a better belt (simple fix) and figure out my shirt situation. When I go hiking (about the only time I open carry) and I finally get my wilderness belt, the holster will be a great asset.

User Tag List