Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Med Kit

I have a trauma bag in the car, along with several tourniquets. I’ll grab one tourniquet out of the glove compartment when I leave the car, and the whole bag when I’m at the range, or a distance from the car. I also keep a couple of tourniquets at home. Bleeding is my biggest concern.

There's not really anything that fits what you're looking for; if your jeans are so tight that you can't conceal an ankle kit, I don't see how you're squeezing something useful in your pocket.

A strip of Phrog tape, Combat gauze, and a SWAT-T all held together is about as low-profile as you're going to get and it's going to still be pretty noticeable/bulky for a front pocket while providing very minimal capability. That's what I carry in the cargo pockets of my linen shorts when going to a beach-ey area.

If you wear a low-profile TQ on your belt using elastic bands, such as the previous generation SOFT-TW, that will free up some room for whatever you want to put in your pocket.

Somewhat unsolicited comment: I'm dubious about your claims regarding the ankle kit, as someone that has carried an ankle medical kit almost every day for the last 7 years. Your statement reads the same to me as how most people on here would read and react to a statement that one can't conceal a Glock 19/P2000/P-07/M&P Compact sized gun.

ETA: The Phlster Medical Emergency Wallet.....

This is something with components that are trivial and gives people a false sense of security/capability. The size of the hemostatic dressing is so small as to be useless for an actual life threatening hemorrhage; it's only 8" in length, whereas a proper fullsize hemostatic gauze is 144" (and that's for a reason). The mini-compression bandage is pretty useless in application. The only useful thing in that kit is the gloves and H&H flat compressed gauze.

Know what you're carrying, and whether it's actually worth carrying or just a rabbits foot magic talisman to make you feel better. Calling that thing a "medical kit" should be a crime.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-05-2022 at 07:02 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There's not really anything that fits what you're looking for; if your jeans are so tight that you can't conceal an ankle kit, I don't see how you're squeezing something useful in your pocket.....

Somewhat unsolicited comment: I'm dubious about your claims regarding the ankle kit, as someone that has carried an ankle medical kit almost every day for the last 7 years. Your statement reads the same to me as how most people on here would read and react to a statement that one can't conceal a Glock 19/P2000/P-07/M&P Compact sized gun.
    I hear you. Depending on the work that day, I wear a couple different pairs of boots. And I try to wear properly fitted jeans, so there's not much room between the boots and pant leg without it looking rather obvious, or me having to reset my pant leg every time stand up, etc. I don't want people wondering what the various bulges in my clothing are, and I don't care to get into conversations about it either, so I'm trying to be ultra discreet. I've walked into my office since 2005 only carrying my coffee, so a fanny pack or similar would get people wondering, too.

After alot of fooling with various kit today, I feel like I might have a minimal amount pocket contents worked out. Now I have to figure out how to carry a TQ

eta: understood about the limitations of an abbreviated med kit, but "something better than nothing" is about where I'm at

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I hear you. Depending on the work that day, I wear a couple different pairs of boots. And I try to wear properly fitted jeans, so there's not much room between the boots and pant leg without it looking rather obvious, or me having to reset my pant leg every time stand up, etc. I don't want people wondering what the various bulges in my clothing are, and I don't care to get into conversations about it either, so I'm trying to be ultra discreet. I've walked into my office since 2005 only carrying my coffee, so a fanny pack or similar would get people wondering, too.

After alot of fooling with various kit today, I feel like I might have a minimal amount pocket contents worked out. Now I have to figure out how to carry a TQ
    Is your polo shirt tucked or untucked?

If untucked, rubber band a flat-folded SOFT-TW to your belt in a horizontal position. If that works, buy this and remove the plastic piece....just use the velcro elastic straps to strap it to your belt. Or, if you have some other elastic straps handy, that would do as well.

Phlster has a flat-pack TQ holder to do the same thing, but like most Phlster gun-bro products it sort of misses the mark. It's more expensive and adds unnecessary bulk.

If your shirt is tucked in, your best bet might be offsetting a SWAT-T in another pocket or dare I even mention the RATS slid down your pants. I shudder at the idea of suggesting the RATS or giving business to the crooked fucks that sell it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Is your polo shirt tucked or untucked?
    My shirts are untucked. I've slid a couple of ranger bands around the belt as I don it, and it can hold a TQ reasonably well. It's not a very elegant solution, but I guess it matches the ranger banded seal/gauze/bandage in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    My shirts are untucked. I've slid a couple of ranger bands around the belt as I don it, and it can hold a TQ reasonably well. It's not a very elegant solution, but I guess it matches the ranger banded seal/gauze/bandage in my pocket.
    I used a PHLster flatpack to do something similar for quite a while before switching to an ankle kit. I used it with the plastic backer behind the belt and the elastic reaching around to hold the TQ on the other side. It works really well if your spacing of the belt allows you to just keep that assembly on it (mine did). I've since given it to a friend but I personally found it to be great for its intended purpose. I liked that removal just required popping the elastic bands off their hooks instead of pulling the TQ out of closed rubber loops - I found it easy to do with either hand even though I carried it weak side instead of centerline.

I'd recommend sticking to a SOFT-T as opposed to a CAT for discreet carry. The CAT is my objective preference but I have a few SOFT-Ts specifically for when I need FLAT.

I also wouldn't feel guilty just having a TQ or even nothing on me and supplementing with off body. I may have a TQ plus gauze on me, or just a TQ in a pocket, or nothing depending on what I'm wearing and doing on a given day. If you can't reasonably carry a bag into the office, maybe have an IFAK at your desk and one in your car?

I'd second trying just the TQ on an ankle. TacMed Solutions makes a TQ-only ankle kit: https://tacmedsolutions.com/products...0431710a&_ss=r
    Gadsen Dynamics has one too: https://gadsdendynamics.com/tourniquet-ankle-band/
    My ankle kit is an SFD Responder, and its best feature is being as slim or bulky as you make it with the contents. It would work great with just a TQ (mine only has a TQ, a tiny flat Gerber rescue hook, super compact flat packed gauze, and some gloves). Pricy but I've been using mine near daily since about 2017 and it's still going - it's made with some amazing velcro, apparently. https://saferfasterdefense.com/product/sfd-responder/

I understand the boots and jeans problem, but for what it's worth that SFD works really well for me with a pair of Redwing Iron Rangers and very well-fitting Madewell straight leg jeans.
    Last edited by Elwin; 07-05-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Mastermind Tactics makes an IWB TQ holder. I've never used it but for $17 it may be worth a try.
    Very convenient, minimalist way to carry a TQ. With one exception, mine has stayed put through vigorous activity and everyday wear.

On other stuff in the thread, in general...

Think hard about what you need to carry, where, for what. The more you know, the less you may need.
    Am I backed up by a public access STB kit, range kit, car kit, etc...
    > task/risk, >stuff/inconvenience
    What and how much you need depends on the wound.
    I like chest seals, but you don't need one in a right-now kit. Problems are late, and you can use a piece of tape, or a hand, or...
    I love hemo gauze and regular gauze, but you can use a lot of other stuff. Gauze is pretty small these days though.
    Trauma dressings are fine, but some folds of theraband, esmark, or a SWAT-T take up less space.
    SWAT-T is a decent TQ when you have both hands that work fine and you're in normal body positions.

Prioritize a mechanical windlass TQ. After that, principles, skills, and layers.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

A SWAT-T or the old army bungee TQs fit well in a back pants pocket. A SOFT-T flatpacked is not bad either.

The SOFT-T flatpacked, with a Ranger band/strip of inner tube around it can be suspended by a piece of cord attached to a belt loop, and dropped IWB.

I can carry the Ryker ankle rig with an Israeli bandage and gauze inside any pair of slimmer jeans or chinos I wear, with sneakers, boots, oxfords.

Off-body carry is also reasonable.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Janitor:

One of the things my Dad taught me was to always carry two (2) handkerchiefs. My Dad served at the tail end of WWII as an infantryman. He had been taught to carry two handkerchiefs and only ever use one for its intended purpose. In the event of a shooting, he had a small, flat and unobtrusive wound compress and a way to secure it to most limbs etc. My Dad saw violence up close, and I cannot ever remember him not carrying his two handkerchiefs. I always thought that was an elegant solution. I adopted that practice earlier in my life and continue it today.

I also tend to prefer to carry tools that have more than a single use/purpose. The ubiquitous handkerchief, if sized appropriately, can be used as a water filter, pressure dressing, improvised satchel, signaling device, char cloth/fire starter, tourniquet and probably several other things I haven't thought of. Two maxims from the bushcraft/backpacking world tend to guide my preparations along these lines: "Skill weighs nothing." and "The more you know, the less you need." If you ever get the chance to get some wilderness first aid/first responder medical training, those folks usually talk about using a wide variety of improvised items for wound care. It is worth a look.

My point is that it gets harder and harder to carry all the "stuff" we think we might need, especially in polite company. While I am a huge proponent of the idea that most critical incidents, of whatever kind or nature, tend to be true surprise events and are "come as you are" events, it becomes more and more difficult to carry all the "stuff" we want. A pair of handkerchiefs, sized big and a pair of nitrile gloves (the gloves can also be used as an improved occlusive dressing for penetrating wounds) and I can do pretty good work. I will say that I have dedicated trauma kits handy when I am doing classes or high-risk events. I also consider driving to be a high-risk activity and I have a trauma kit attached to the head rest of the passenger set of my rig so I can access it in the event I have a rollover accident (God forbid).

If you come up with an answer you like, please share it with us. Food for thought.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Site Supporter
    My Philster Flat packs had the annoying habit of ejecting my SOF-Ts through incidental contact, like with the car seat and seat belt. It was very reassuring to hear my TQ hit the ground while deploying my rifle with a trainee, to look for a drunken dude with a shotgun.

Found and arrested him, luckily without needing a TQ.

Currently running BFG Hammocks at work, Hammock under other belt mounted stuff most of the time on my time.

Imagination...Adaptation...Till something gooder comes along.

pat

User Tag List