Thread: Trigger "Pinch" on small pistols

Trigger "Pinch" on small pistols

An issue I've found shooting some very small pistols is the trigger sort of pinching my finger under recoil. As far as I can tell what's happening is the flesh of my trigger finger gets caught between the bottom edge of my trigger and the trigger guard under recoil. I've experienced this on an LCP II, a P365, and a PPS M2. My experience has been that adjusting my finger placement helps some on some guns, but not 100%. For example on the P365, switching to the tip of my finger reduced pinching a bit (in exchange for shooting a bit off) but on the LCP there was really no way I could mitigate it.

I found a small auto that I didn't really have this issue on, a Kahr CM9, but when it comes back from its second trip back to the factory I am getting rid of it, so I'm in the market for a small 9 again. I don't really have an option to rent the top candidates in my area, so I've been trying to sort of guess based on the shape of guns whether I'll encounter the issue, but I do wonder if there's anything I can or should be doing to mitigate this issue. This gun will be riding under tucked in work clothes in an Enigma, so unfortunately it'll have to be pretty small.

I'd really like to minimize this issue if I can, even if that means aftermarket triggers, because I like to shoot my carry guns every time I get to the range and I'm concerned about developing a flinch over time.

I don't have especially meaty hands but I do have long fingers, so I tend to sink a bit more finger on the trigger shooting small guns, especially in a hurrry.

Any recommendations in terms of technique I should try here? I've gotten very different responses from people on this about the same guns, so it seems to me like a hand shape and technique issue as much as an equipment issue.

Sig P938 / Kimber Micro 9

It’s a 1911 style so it’s not possible to pinch your finger in the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Sig P938 / Kimber Micro 9

It’s a 1911 style so it’s not possible to pinch your finger in the trigger.
    I'm a little sketched out by micro 1911s, but I am becoming more interested in 1911s lately and these and the S&W CSX could be on my radar.

I did a little more digging, and it turns out the cause of my issue is a condition called clinodactyly, which I thought I should post here in case anyone else has this issue. Essentially, it turns out my index fingers are slightly crooked past the knuckle. This causes them to angle down as I close my hand, generally placing them at a downward angle across the trigger no matter my finger placement, and get caught a bit at the edge.

With that in mind, I think I'm just going to wear gloves most of the time when I shoot very small guns. I dont expect I'll notice the pinch under real world stress, I just want to avoid giving myself a flinch. Maybe I won't need to use as much soap washing my hands after a range day lol

Name:  20220712_150446.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  44.8 KBName:  20220712_150529.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  50.0 KBName:  20220712_150454.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  39.8 KB

I have the same trigger finger issue. I have found that SFA pistols place the web of the shooting hand higher than the trigger and exacerbate the issue. From what I can tell, hammer fired pistols place the web of the shooting hand more in line with the trigger and fit my bent trigger finger better. YMMV
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List