Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sandman-S as a single suppressor for Rattler, 9” .300 and 11.5” 5.56?

Lots of good suggestions on here already.

As noted above, the Sandman cans are really well built and durable... But heavy and not particularly quiet. Unless your goal is mag dumps from a registered lower I'd look elsewhere.

The Nomad is a great versatile can for not a lot of money. The Turbo K is also a fantastic 5.56 can that is absurdly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Well, I haven't bought a suppressor for a while. But, I can say from experience that AAC mounts suck a bag of dicks. Back in the day not so long ago SilencerCo was supposed to be the bestest new hotness. My Omega has been a self-disassembling PIA, although not as bad as AAC. So, I have to say that I'm not surprised to hear that Keymo may not be all that it's cracked up to be. It is not easy to make a good suppressor mounting system. In fact, I think it's more difficult than making a decent suppressor. Honestly, I care a lot more about the mount than dB or what the can sounds like.

If I buy another can, it will be either another Surefire or another TBAC.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Lol, my AAC mount for my 5.56 I just let carbon the heck up so it’s a solid weld from mount to can and I just thread the whole unit onto a barrel like a direct mount. Ha.

I ordered some more rocksett to semi fix things together once I decide what can should stay on what gun.

More and more I’m just deciding to fix cans to guns and not eff with mounting systems.

What kind of problems have you guys been seeing with your 51t mounts?

I've got a M4-2000 which is sitting on an older SBR which I really haven't used much at all lately.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    What kind of problems have you guys been seeing with your 51t mounts?

I've got a M4-2000 which is sitting on an older SBR which I really haven't used much at all lately.

Thanks
    Inconsistent mounting (locked in at an angle), loosening during firing, catastrophic baffle strike.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm new to the suppressor world. I finally got my tax stamp and picked up my Sandman-S a couple weeks ago. I don't have anything to compare it with. So far I have used it on a 13.7" Son's of Liberty AR and a 14.5" BCM AR. Both have A5 recoil systems with H2 buffers and Radian Raptor charging handles. When I moved the can to the BCM gun I started noticing a little eye irritation that is 100% not there on the Son's gun.

The Sandman certainly is a chunk of weight hanging off the muzzle. I'm using it as received and haven't bothered to try a 5.56 end cap. I have NOX muzzle devices for a few ARs and one in 7.62 that is going on my SCAR. I really curious to see (hear) how it performs on the SCAR.

I was interested in going with a Surefire can but nothing was available when I started the process in early 2021.

In my never ending quest to make life more complicated than it needs to be in terms of guns and gear related stuff, I've played with Keymo, YHM Phantom and the Kurz, Griffin Plan A and Q Plan B.

@Magsz isn't alone in not caring for Keymo. On top of being unobtanium at times, at a retail price of $250, with street price from vendors like Hansohn Brothers around $199, it's expensive as hell for what it is, which is a taper mount that makes a ratcheting noise.

The YHM Phantom is solid, with thicccc Acme threads, taper seal, and the secondary spring loaded locking mechanism, it locks up tight and stays put. It's ugly as sin though.

That led me to try the YHM Kurz. It's basically a shortened Phantom QD adapter that reduces the length by .6" or so.

Still not able to leave well enough alone, I decided to try the Griffin Plan A and Q Plan B. I was able to pick up both along with muzzle devices from the GAFS subreddit on Reddit. In terms of lockup, I felt like the Plan A and Plan B were equal. The downside to the YHM Kurz, Plan A and Plan B was they increased back pressure, and increased the decibel level over the Phantom and Keymo. Apparently letting the blast chamber do it's work and not cramming the muzzle device all the way to just behind the blast baffle is more important that I initially estimated. I'm not talking just on a decibel meter, I don't even have one, I'm talking about it was noticeably louder to the ear.

So after all that farting around, spending money, selling off mounts and muzzle devices I wasn't gonna use, I'm back to the full length Phantom QD that came with my Turbo T2 and I'm done swapping and trying mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    In my never ending quest to make life more complicated than it needs to be in terms of guns and gear related stuff, I've played with Keymo, YHM Phantom and the Kurz, Griffin Plan A and Q Plan B.

@Magsz isn't alone in not caring for Keymo. On top of being unobtanium at times, at a retail price of $250, with street price from vendors like Hansohn Brothers around $199, it's expensive as hell for what it is, which is a taper mount that makes a ratcheting noise.

The YHM Phantom is solid, with thicccc Acme threads, taper seal, and the secondary spring loaded locking mechanism, it locks up tight and stays put. It's ugly as sin though.

That led me to try the YHM Kurz. It's basically a shortened Phantom QD adapter that reduces the length by .6" or so.

Still not able to leave well enough alone, I decided to try the Griffin Plan A and Q Plan B. I was able to pick up both along with muzzle devices from the GAFS subreddit on Reddit. In terms of lockup, I felt like the Plan A and Plan B were equal. The downside to the YHM Kurz, Plan A and Plan B was they increased back pressure, and increased the decibel level over the Phantom and Keymo. Apparently letting the blast chamber do it's work and not cramming the muzzle device all the way to just behind the blast baffle is more important that I initially estimated. I'm not talking just on a decibel meter, I don't even have one, I'm talking about it was noticeably louder to the ear.

So after all that farting around, spending money, selling off mounts and muzzle devices I wasn't gonna use, I'm back to the full length Phantom QD that came with my Turbo T2 and I'm done swapping and trying mounts.
    I'm partial to the Plan A mounts as I said for a variety of reasons.

I will say that the YHM mount, despite being a little bit on the heavy side sure as shit works well. There's a huge taper and the rachet system as a secondary method of securing the can to the mount seems to work fairly well. My only gripe was that my YHM mounts seemed to shoot "one tooth loose". YHM assured me this was OK but I was never really happy with the end result so I divested and went elsewhere.

By and large, 99% of end users seem happy with the YHM solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I'm partial to the Plan A mounts as I said for a variety of reasons.

I will say that the YHM mount, despite being a little bit on the heavy side sure as shit works well. There's a huge taper and the rachet system as a secondary method of securing the can to the mount seems to work fairly well. My only gripe was that my YHM mounts seemed to shoot "one tooth loose". YHM assured me this was OK but I was never really happy with the end result so I divested and went elsewhere.

By and large, 99% of end users seem happy with the YHM solution.
    Had I known about the Plan A XL I would have probably gave that a whirl, as it seems to provide the added length that the YHM does at a fraction of the weight. It's only a couple ounces, but ounces on the end of the gun are the ones you feel the most.

It appears at least one serious user group supplanted their AAC cans with the Sandman-S. For what it's worth, a company called ECCO Machine will convert AAC cans to use the Deadair Keymo.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    …but I've had very good results with the YHM Turbo K modular 5.56 can with a DeadAir rear adaptor.
    Bumping this back up with a stupid newb question. I’m still shopping while I wait for my permanent address change and want to have a purchase plan in place.

I have decided on KeyMo and have been adding their muzzle devices to my rifles and SBRs. I plan to get a Wolfman for the 9mm and 300 BO SBRs. My understanding is that Wolfman will also work as a light duty can for my 5.56 SBRs and rifles, but I should do better for those if I intend to shoot a lot of 5.56.

I’m looking at two options for a more durable 5.56 suppressor - a DA Sierra-5 KeyMo or a YHM Turbo K. The price of the YHM is really appealing.

My stupid question - how exactly is a Turbo K adapted for a DA KeyMo? Is it using a DA accessory, or aftermarket? @HCM

I assume this is the YHM can: https://yhm.net/turbo-k-with-yhm-4302-28a/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Bumping this back up with a stupid newb question. I’m still shopping while I wait for my permanent address change and want to have a purchase plan in place.

I have decided on KeyMo and have been adding their muzzle devices to my rifles and SBRs. I plan to get a Wolfman for the 9mm and 300 BO SBRs. My understanding is that Wolfman will also work as a light duty can for my 5.56 SBRs and rifles, but I should do better for those if I intend to shoot a lot of 5.56.

I’m looking at two options for a more durable 5.56 suppressor - a DA Sierra-5 KeyMo or a YHM Turbo K. The price of the YHM is really appealing.

My stupid question - how exactly is a Turbo K adapted for a DA KeyMo? Is it using a DA accessory, or aftermarket? @HCM

I assume this is the YHM can: https://yhm.net/turbo-k-with-yhm-4302-28a/
    It uses the new de facto industry standard "Hub" 1.375Χ24 TPI threads that allow the can to accept just about any mounting solution. So you buy your Hub can and pick out what you want. I'm a fan of the Griffin taper mounts, Keymo is heavy, long, and expensive. YHM's mounts are also really good. If it were me, I wouldn't be considering something without Hub threads.

I'd look at what you listed plus the EA ARX. I've got a Turbo K on my AUG, works great, no issues.
    #RESIST

User Tag List