Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandman-S as a single suppressor for Rattler, 9” .300 and 11.5” 5.56?

Sandman-S as a single suppressor for Rattler, 9” .300 and 11.5” 5.56?

I’m getting ready to purchase my first suppressor. I am hoping I can find a single suppressor that will cover my Rattler, a 9” .300 upper and also a couple of 11.5” 5.56 uppers. One strong desire is to have a QD that is a FH, not a brake for more pleasant unsuppressed shooting.

It’s been suggested a Sandman-S would fill the bill. KeyMo FHes are available, you can get different front caps and there is no barrel length restriction.

Good choice?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’m seeing comments here that I may actually be better off with a Sandman-K.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m seeing comments here that I may actually be better off with a Sandman-K.
    No.

The Sandman K is borderline useless on anything under 16 inches. It will suppress and mitigate flash to some extent but it is not a good suppressor. It is a niche unit that has very limited real world use.

For example, there is a GIGANTIC difference in performance when comparing a Sandman K to a YHM Turbo K.

The S would work for your intended purposes but its heavy and not really all that great sounding. Keep in mind sound performance in the suppressor world is largely subjective. To some, a really nice meaty low tone is not as pleasurable to others.

I would recommend a Griffin Explorr 30 cal can or a Surefire .30 cal can.

The Sandman line of cans are very well made and they will last you a lifetime, I just don't find their weight appealing when coupled with their sound performance. I also don't really care for their tone. Lastly, the removable end caps are a double edged sword. They're great if you have an end cap strike but they never, ever stay in place.

Site Supporter
    I’ve got a Rugged Micro 30, which can be used in a short 5” (K) or 6.5” configuration. These lengths roughly correspond to the Sandman’s K and S lengths. I like the K length and use it on both a 9” 300 and 11.5” 5.56, however the 11.5” is still really loud. The difference between the 5” and 6.5” lengths on the 5.56 is pretty dramatic.

I don’t think I would be happy with a short K can for my only center fire suppressor.

Ok, skipping the Sandman-K for now. What about a Sandman-S for a single suppressor, at least for now? Trying to stay focused on the Sandman series for now, unless there is an overwhelming reason not to go with it.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    The Sandman S is a good general purpose starter can. It will work on both .30 cal and 5.56.

Eventually you will want a dedicated 5.56 can.

The best thing about DeadAir is the Keymo mount system. There are several good 3rd party Keymo mounts including the SOLGW Nox and the FCD A2 style mounts.

Dead Air has a new 5.56 can but I've had very good results with the YHM Turbo K modular 5.56 can with a DeadAir rear adaptor.

You will need an adaptor to square the shoulder of the MCX barrel to use non SIG suppressors or muzzle devices.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Sandman S is a good general purpose starter can. It will work on both .30 cal and 5.56.

Eventually you will want a dedicated 5.56 can.

The best thing about DeadAir is the Keymo mount system. There are several good 3rd party Keymo mounts including the SOLGW Nox and the FCD A2 style mounts.

Dead Air has a new 5.56 can but I've had very good results with the YHM Turbo K modular 5.56 can with a DeadAir rear adaptor.

You will need an adaptor to square the shoulder of the MCX barrel to use non SIG suppressors or muzzle devices.
    I'm in the vast minority here. I don't like keymo at all. I find it to be heavy and not all that secure. People say once you tighten it down it will never come off until you intend to take it off. I've had three keymo devices and a Sandman K. All of those cans/mounts didn't stay tight on their respective muzzle devices.

I am not a fan of Dead Air products and I won't hide that. They do make some "good" stuff I just think that they're over hyped and that there are better competing products.

If you like the Sandman S you're not going to be displeased with it and it will work fairly well in the role you intend to use it in.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I'm in the vast minority here. I don't like keymo at all. I find it to be heavy and not all that secure. People say once you tighten it down it will never come off until you intend to take it off. I've had three keymo devices and a Sandman K. All of those cans/mounts didn't stay tight on their respective muzzle devices.

I am not a fan of Dead Air products and I won't hide that. They do make some "good" stuff I just think that they're over hyped and that there are better competing products.

If you like the Sandman S you're not going to be displeased with it and it will work fairly well in the role you intend to use it in.
    The keymo mounting system has been 100% better than the AAC and Silencerco ASR I used before.

I've also used the Q Cherry Bomb mounts - great suppressor mounts but they kind of suck without a can.

The keymo mounting system has been 100% better than the AAC and Silencerco ASR I used before.

I've also used the Q Cherry Bomb mounts - great suppressor mounts but they kind of suck without a can.
    I do not disagree with anything you just said.

ASR is garbage. AAC's mount design is also garbage.

I've had really good success with Griffin's Plan A system.

Ive used YHM's mount, silencerco ASR, Griffin plan A along with Dead Air's Keymo and Micro systems.

Griffin is what remains on all of my guns and cans.

Luckily SIG provided the adapters in the boxes. I saw one reference to a tapered shoulder versions of the DA FHs and brakes, but only one mention so I’m doubting it’s correct.

And I agree that I’ll probably end up with a dedicated 5.56 suppressor at some point. I suspect cans are like potato chips (and Glocks) - hard to stop at just one.
    Ken

User Tag List