Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Choice

Suppressor Choice

Hello. Am looking for best options for some hosts. Have never had a suppressor, so forgive my ignorance here and am open to any advice. I don’t know what brands of suppressors are best. In my novice thinking, it seems a suppressor that can be disassembled is easier to keep clean? A friend once told me that if he has a baffle strike on his suppressor, he can order a replacement for that single baffle for his unit. I know some of them don’t have individual baffles, though. (He’s the one that told me that some models can’t be opened by the end user, I don’t know.)

I would like a suppressor (and brand) for the following platforms:

1. AR-15 and bolt action .223s. Barrel lengths can range from 16” - 20”. Would also use this for predator hunting.

2. .308 - this would be on a bolt action. Maybe on an FAL and M1A, if that’s possible. 20” - 26” barrel lengths.

3. .45 - this would be on a G21 or some such. I’m assuming a suppressor that would work on a .45-70 would be too large for a pistol, also?

4. .22 LR. Bolt action rifle, 10/22 semi and .22 pistols (Ruger MkII/IV, Beretta). Can the rifle suppressor work on the pistol?

5. 9mm for pistol and carbine

6. Other calibers, such as .243, .300 Win Mag, etc. Can the .308 suppressor be used on these?

How inefficient is it to use a can for something like a .308, on a .223 and .243? What about a .45 ACP can on a 9mm?

Also don’t know the benefits/drawbacks to materials choices - steel, aluminum, titanium tubes and baffles.

I know these are a lot of novice questions. After re-reading this, maybe too much for one post!

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Rack; 07-21-2023 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Hello. Am looking for best options for some hosts. Have never had a suppressor, so forgive my ignorance here and am open to any advice. I don’t know what brands of suppressors are best. In my novice thinking, it seems a suppressor that can be disassembled is easier to keep clean? A friend once told me that if he has a baffle strike on his suppressor, he can order a replacement for that single baffle for his unit. I know some of them don’t have individual baffles, though. (He’s the one that told me that some models can’t be opened by the end user, I don’t know.)

I would like a suppressor (and brand) for the following platforms:
    You ask some good questions, and if I read your post right you're looking for recommendations for each of these hosts rather than one do-all can.

1. AR-15 and bolt action .223s. Barrel lengths can range from 16” - 20”. Would also use this for predator hunting.

2. .308 - this would be on a bolt action. Maybe on an FAL and M1A, if that’s possible. 20” - 26” barrel lengths.
    There are a lot of different ways you can go here. You can go with a dedicated 5.56 can for your AR and .223's, or you can go with a .30 cal can that can be used across many different calibers. Many modern .30 cal cans will cover you from 5.56/.223 all the way up to .300 Win Mag. There are a lot of good options for both scenarios. I see a lot of people go with .30 cal cans and use them on a wide range of firearms and calibers, as this is the least expensive and easiest option. Cans like the Surefire SOCOM, Dead Air Sandman S, and SilencerCo Omega 300 are very popular. The HuxWrx cans also seem to be gaining a lot of popularity and are reported to have less blowback, but I have no hands-on experience with it. Keep in mind that the mounting method will be something you have to consider as well. Some cans are modular and allow you to switch back and forth between QD and direct thread, but not all. If you decide to go with something that's dedicated direct thread, like the Sandman S, you'll need to plan on installing an appropriate muzzle device on each firearm you want to use the can on.

3. .45 - this would be on a G21 or some such. I’m assuming a suppressor that would work on a .45-70 would be too large for a pistol, also?
    The SilencerCo Hybrid 46M can go up to .45-70, and can be used on pistols, although it might be a bit heavier than a dedicated 9MM or .45 pistol silencer.

4. .22 LR. Bolt action rifle, 10/22 semi and .22 pistols (Ruger MkII/IV, Beretta). Can the rifle suppressor work on the pistol?
    Most people will recommend a dedicated .22 can, and yes you can use it on rifles and pistols. Pay attention to the ratings, as some cans are only rated for .22 LR whereas others can handle .22 mag or .17 HMR.

5. 9mm for pistol and carbine
    I don't have much experience with pistol cans. The only one I have is a Rugged Obsidian 9 that I use on a CZ Scorpion SBR, and I like it quite a bit. It's lightweight, it can be disassembled for cleaning, and it can be run in a standard or K (short) configuration.

6. Other calibers, such as .243, .300 Win Mag, etc. Can the .308 suppressor be used on these?
    Yes.

How inefficient is it to use a can for something like a .308, on a .223 and .243? What about a .45 ACP can on a 9mm?
    You'll lose a small bit of performance, but it's not much. Many people consider the ability to run one can across many calibers to be well worth the small bit of performance you lose.

Also don’t know the benefits/drawbacks to materials choices - steel, aluminum, titanium tubes and baffles.
    Strength, weight, resistance to erosion. A lot of silencers are made from materials like inconel and stellite. A lot of them will have some combination of inconel and steel or stellite and steel. The blast baffle takes the most abuse in any silencer and often this one in particular is made of a more durable material, with steel making up the rest. Titanium is generally the lightest, but also erodes faster, so it may not be the best choice for a gun that sees a high round count/mag dumps. It's usually a good choice for bolt guns IMO.

I know these are a lot of novice questions. After re-reading this, maybe too much for one post!

Thanks for any help!
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Something I posted above was incorrect and I missed my window to make a correction. I apologize for any confusion. Correction below.

There are a lot of different ways you can go here. You can go with a dedicated 5.56 can for your AR and .223's, or you can go with a .30 cal can that can be used across many different calibers. Many modern .30 cal cans will cover you from 5.56/.223 all the way up to .300 Win Mag. There are a lot of good options for both scenarios. I see a lot of people go with .30 cal cans and use them on a wide range of firearms and calibers, as this is the least expensive and easiest option. Cans like the Surefire SOCOM, Dead Air Sandman S, and SilencerCo Omega 300 are very popular. The HuxWrx cans also seem to be gaining a lot of popularity and are reported to have less blowback, but I have no hands-on experience with it. Keep in mind that the mounting method will be something you have to consider as well. Some cans are modular and allow you to switch back and forth between QD and direct thread, but not all. If you decide to go with something that's dedicated QD, like the Sandman S, you'll need to plan on installing an appropriate muzzle device on each firearm you want to use the can on.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Suppressor Choice

I bought 3 suppressors on my first run… Dead Air Odessa 9, Griffin Bushwhacker 46 and Rugged Oculus 22.

For .22, get something that is user serviceable. I like the Oculus mainly because I can run it in long or short… even though it is in long 99% of the time.

My choice for 9mm was a little bit gun specific. I have a Stern upper that I wanted a suppressor to fit under the handguard. Odessa does that and I can adjust the length. With it being thin, I also can run on pistols with standard height sights. Getting the fixed barrel adapter was a pain to find in stock.

My general purpose suppressor is the Bushwhacker. It is a .46 can, but I run it on my truck AR most of the time. I leave the .36 end cap on it since I got the 3-lug adapter and my SBRed PTR 9CT. Other benefit of an oversized can is the reduction of back pressure. But that can does all of my 5.56mm rifles, some 9mm, .308 and… whenever I SBR/thread my .45 AR… that. I have the 3-lug, Taper mount and an A2 adapter. My truck gun is an 11.5” AR running the Adams Arms piston kit… Taper Mount would trap the piston from removal. [emoji107]

I’ve been looking at picking up 2 more suppressors… but probably a year or so out before doing it. First one, a dedicated 5.56mm that goes on the A2 (I prefer not running the A2 adapter on the Bushwhacker). None of my other than 5.56mm guns use an A2, so figured dedicated 5.56mm would be the best choice… but may do the .30 for future flexibility. Second… a 12 Gauge shotgun suppressor. Mainly for fun, but I would like to see how it would be on my 14” 870 (SBS). Just would have to send the barrel to be threaded… but would while I’m waiting for the stamp.

I was trying to make a similar decision a couple years ago, minus the .45. I ended up going with Dead Air Sandman S, Sandman K and Wolfman. That basically has me covered for everything except .45 and .22LR. If I were to do it over, I’d replace the Sandman K with a .22 LR can like the Mask for my first go-around. The K is too much of a compromise to be a multi-purpose can. The Sandman S is a great universal can with only drawbacks being weight and locked into KeyMo muzzle devices. I’d have no problem recommending Sandman S and Wolfman as first cans except for the .45 cal.

I shoot left-handed and use piston-driven ARs to minimize the gas blowback. I can notice the increased back pressure in the Sandman S over the K. If noxious gases are a concern, then the flow-through cans recently introduced are really attractive. The Huxwrx Flow 762 Ti seems to be an amazing can from all the reviews and weighs only 12 ounces. It could very much be the best rifle can for everything from .223 ARs to .300WM bolt guns. One drawback to Huxwrx is the cost and availability of muzzle devices.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 07-28-2023 at 10:10 PM.

Very limited suppressor experience here.

I have two OSS suppressors (now HUXWRX) with the flow through design.

Compactness isn’t a high priority for me, so I picked up one of their titanium (a bit lighter) 30 cal cans. I run it on my AR15 and 6.5 CM, and it works as advertised. No tuning at all required on the Sionics AR and I don’t get any blowback grime when shooting from the left shoulder.

I also have an OSS .22 can. My S&W AR15-22 runs well with it.

Having the quietest can isn’t a priority for me either. I don’t care how it compares to other cans.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    I was trying to make a similar decision a couple years ago, minus the .45. I ended up going with Dead Air Sandman S, Sandman K and Wolfman. That basically has me covered for everything except .45 and .22LR. If I were to do it over, I’d replace the Sandman K with a .22 LR can like the Mask for my first go-around. The K is too much of a compromise to be a multi-purpose can. The Sandman S is a great universal can with only drawbacks being weight and locked into KeyMo muzzle devices. I’d have no problem recommending Sandman S and Wolfman as first cans except for the .45 cal.

I shoot left-handed and use piston-driven ARs to minimize the gas blowback. I can notice the increased back pressure in the Sandman S over the K. If noxious gases are a concern, then the flow-through cans recently introduced are really attractive. The Huxwrx Flow 762 Ti seems to be an amazing can from all the reviews and weighs only 12 ounces. It could very much be the best rifle can for everything from .223 ARs to .300WM bolt guns. One drawback to Huxwrx is the cost and availability of muzzle devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Very limited suppressor experience here.

I have two OSS suppressors (now HUXWRX) with the flow through design.

Compactness isn’t a high priority for me, so I picked up one of their titanium (a bit lighter) 30 cal cans. I run it on my AR15 and 6.5 CM, and it works as advertised. No tuning at all required on the Sionics AR and I don’t get any blowback grime when shooting from the left shoulder.

I also have an OSS .22 can. My S&W AR15-22 runs well with it.

Having the quietest can isn’t a priority for me either. I don’t care how it compares to other cans.

Limited experience here, but maybe relevant as I'm cross-dominant (left-eye/right-hand), shooting rifle and shotgun lefty, and pistol righty.

First can was a Silencerco Omega. Nice, reasonable size/weight, very quiet...and a LOT of back-pressure and gas-to-face (GTF)!

Went Dead Air Sandman-S for my second can. Less gas-to-face than the Omega, kind of a good universal (5.56-to-.30 cal) can. The Keymo mounting system works well but it's a little long and heavy. There are excellent Keymo compatible muzzled devices, with my preference being those by Forward Controls Design.

Based on a number of reviews including Pew Science https://pewscience.com/ (I consider them to be a good source of info, but nothing is be-all/end-all), I went with a Huxwrx Flow 5.56 for my 3rd can. This is an excellent can for a gas-gun, zero GTF so far, and ejection pattern/cycling seems unchaged. I'm annoyed by the lack of muzzle devices (noted above) and don't particularly care for what Huxwrx calls a 'flash suppressor', but the design of the mounting system is substantially shorter than the Dead Air Keymo system...I really notice the difference in handling between the Sandman/Keymo setup and the Flow.

I'm very tempted to try the Huxwrx 7.62 version of the Flow, which was not available at the time my 5.56 Flow was purchased.

For dedicated .22lr I have a Dead Air Mask, which I like very much, albeit I have very little time behind it.

Everyone's priorities are slightly different. I'm more worried about 'at-the-ear noise' and 'gas-to-face' (or lack thereof) than pure downrange noise suppression.

Let us know what direction you go with this.

-Rainman

@Rack, my experience has led me to be very conservative in choosing suppressor manufacturers. I've seen and experienced how 'the new hotness' often comes with hidden issues, and how new suppressor companies disappear or fail to support their products. Mounting systems are especially tricky. If I could go back in time, I would only own Surefire and Thunder Beast (TBAC) suppressors.

About baffle strikes and repairing cans: don't have a baffle strike! Testing all ammo, and making sure the mounting system is solid should make a baffle strike extremely unlikely.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I’m still wading through the options that have been presented.

As for a baffle strike, I don’t remember how he said he had one, it’s been a while. I didn’t know if that was common or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Rack, my experience has led me to be very conservative in choosing suppressor manufacturers. I've seen and experienced how 'the new hotness' often comes with hidden issues, and how new suppressor companies disappear or fail to support their products. Mounting systems are especially tricky. If I could go back in time, I would only own Surefire and Thunder Beast (TBAC) suppressors.
    My first two cans were both 9 mm pistol cans. Bought the first one around 2005, second one around 2010. They were both made by well respected companies with awesome reviews on the internet back in that time frame.

Within a year of my purchases, both particular models were discontinued and in one case one of the companies went belly up and was purchased by another company.

There wasn't any warning given. There wasn't any you've got X number of months to get extra parts and supplies and accessories. They just completely shut down production. I don't know if it was Panic buying or if they just don't keep a lot of extra stuff hanging around but the parts and accessories and support disappeared absolutely instantaneously. I tried calling the companies directly to see if they had any suggestions and was treated quite rudely by both.

Maybe it's different these days, don't know.

Those two suppressors are basically stuck in the exact configuration they are in now.

I too am a Surefire and TBAC fan.

User Tag List