Thread: Browning BPS - Muzzle Damage & Possibly More... Help please.

Browning BPS - Muzzle Damage & Possibly More... Help please.

I purchased Browning BPS recently and it was packaged improperly when shipped to my FFL. He picked up the package from the porch and noticed a scraping sound of the muzzle dragging concrete (completely bare). No idea if it was dropped on the porch or previous to this but obviously it's got some grinding down of the corners of the muzzle. I'm not accepting the transfer yet and have the option from the owner to return it on his dime for a full refund.

I like the gun overall and would like to keep it but have concerns whether or not there could be damage I cannot see if it were dropped hard on the muzzle. The barrel looked to be straight to the naked eye but haven't been able to really check it for true on a flat level surface by rolling it over. Thought to do this when I go back to pick up if I decide to keep it. I got a good enough deal on it at $275 shipped to where I'm considering taking the risk of basically loosing out big time if the barrel or receiver is seriously damaged from this.

I don't know enough to take the gun apart so that's off the table and wouldn't even know what to look for either. Anybody well versed on these able to comment here one way or another before Tuesday? Here's the thread I've been posting in until now but thought this forum was more likely to get a response hopefully. It's a beautiful gun, hoping to keep it without regretting it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....g-BPS-Riot-Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    So I had this delivered to my FFL today only to get a text from him that there was likely damage upon receipt of the box. Whoever boxed it up didn't have a clue and basically it was not disassembled and just stuffed in a box that with the exact same length as the gun with just plastic bubble (think what Amazon uses) on either side of the gun. The muzzle came through three layers of corrugated cardboard and got scraped by the cement on my FFL's porch.

I can't tell any other damage other than that but wonder if it's possible that the barrel is somehow damaged beyond the cosmetic. There's no removable choke and my main concern is something like a bend in the barrel (which wasn't obvious sighting down it) or something else if it was dropped hard enough. The FFL wasn't home when it was left on the porch so no idea how hard it may have been banged.

Can anybody knowledge tell me what may have been damaged beyond just the obvious scrape on the muzzle? I talked to the owner of the sending FFL after this and he's willing to give me a full refund ($275 w/ shipping) to have them send it back on their dime. I asked about doing a bit of a rebate on it just to have it gunsmithed but he refused and said they'd fix it themselves. So it's keep it and deal with it as is or send it back for refund. Ideas?

Attachment 90933Attachment 90934
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 07-03-2022 at 07:09 PM.

It’s a shotgun, not a rifle. Inner curve looks unbattered.

And it’s a shotgun. So even if it were, who cares? Haha.

Take a black sharpie or some rustoleum and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    It’s a shotgun, not a rifle. Inner curve looks unbattered.

And it’s a shotgun. So even if it were, who cares? Haha.

Take a black sharpie or some rustoleum and call it a day.
    Yes, I understand it's not a precision tool by any means. I understand a dent inside the barrel can be hazardous but also easily fixed if shallow enough.

I'm less concerned about that then damage to the receiver which could make it unsafe to fire but it's a forged steel receiver so I'm going to lean towards that being pretty unlikely without some serious beating.

Yes, I understand it's not a precision tool by any means. I understand a dent inside the barrel can be hazardous but also easily fixed if shallow enough.

I'm less concerned about that then damage to the receiver which could make it unsafe to fire but it's a forged steel receiver so I'm going to lean towards that being pretty unlikely without some serious beating.
    Looking at the damage pattern it looks like a superficial abrasion and not an impact.

And you clearly see the curve of the inner is unbroken.

Also look at how broad of a scrape it is. It clearly turned over as it was scraping.

An impact wouldn’t affect that amount of curvature.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Also look at how broad of a scrape it is. It clearly turned over as it was scraping.

An impact wouldn’t affect that amount of curvature.
    It definitely was a scrape at the very least because my FFL heard the metal scraping as the box was picked up. The question remains if it were dropped prior to the scrape because there was literally nothing but a couple layers or corrugated cardboard on the muzzle and no padding whatsoever.

I can't help but think it would take some serious force to damage even if it were dropped hard considering competitors do similar dumping their guns in those barrels muzzle down on the ground.

Improper packing strikes again. I’d hit it with blue and drive on, it looks cosmetic to me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List