Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone CCW sometimes an iron sight handgun and sometimes one with a red dot?

Site Supporter
    I have not. I have had them or others on my list and have never pulled the trigger

Should I try one, I will post up. Please do the same.

Fully concur re the "vintage" ones I have from MEX are too thin, at least in white and off white.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I bounce back and forth between irons and RDS without any issues so far, but I’d like to try a class that introduces stress to see how well I can manipulate a RDS when things get dicey. My smaller RDS equipped guns were all milled with no backup irons.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I was an iron-sight guy for a long time, including about 10 years shooting competition in various iron-sight divisions. My conversion to RDS was largely forced on me due to aging eye-sight. About 5-6 years ago I started wearing Clic readers to see things up close (reading, phone, or computer screen). I did play around with some safety glasses that had .5 diopter lenses which helped me stay with irons for another year or so, but eventually my up-close vision progressively got worse and my daily readers are now 2.25 diopter. So for the most part I’ve switched to red dots for my competition guns. Every now and then I shoot an iron division (i.e Prod at 2020 Locap Nats and SS at this year’s Classic Nats) and I wear safety glasses with 1.0 diopter lenses (roughly half the strength of my readers). Without the corrected lenses I can see the front sight but it takes my eyes too long to focus on the front sight post and target focus for me only works out to 7-10 yds. At Nats there are usually too many partials and mini poppers at 17-22 yds for that to work…

3-4 years ago I also started putting red dots on my carry guns. If I use my regular readers to shoot iron sights the front sight is well in focus but the target is too blurry. I started with a P10C (roughly Glock 19 size) with a RMR, but eventually settled on a 365XL w/ HS407K as my go-to EDC carry and periodically will shoot a match with it for practice. Also have a LTT RDO w/ RMR by the bedside.

I do have a Glock 43 irons-only that lives in my mtn biking pack bc it’s small and lightweight, but truth be told it’s bc I haven’t gotten around to having it milled or get a 356X. 95% of the time I’m EDC-ing a gun with a RDS.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I have not. I have had them or others on my list and have never pulled the trigger

Should I try one, I will post up. Please do the same.

Fully concur re the "vintage" ones I have from MEX are too thin, at least in white and off white.

I think I’m going to order one of the blue ones. It looks more opaque than the ones from Mexico but only trying one will tell me for sure. If I do it I’ll post up the results here.

User Tag List