Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone CCW sometimes an iron sight handgun and sometimes one with a red dot?

Anyone CCW sometimes an iron sight handgun and sometimes one with a red dot?

I’m sorry if this has already been discussed. I tried searching for a similar topic but couldn't find anything.

I primarily pocket carry a P365 with night sights in Florida. On days where a cover shirt is feasible (lower temperature) I carry a Glock 19 in an OWB holster. It’s not practical for me to carry the P365 with a red dot (it won’t fit in my pocket) but I’m tempted to give a red dot a try on the Glock 19 because of age and eyesight.

If the red dot would work for me on the Glock I would still have to regularly pocket carry the P365 with iron sights; I can’t wear a cover shirt on hot Florida days without getting overheated.

Does anyone else go back and forth between CCW’s with iron sights and a red dot? Will switching from one to another cause me any issues? I’ve read that with red dots one focuses on the target and with irons the focus is on the front sight. I guess I’m worried about the initial focus point of two different sighting systems being an issue. Or maybe there are other concerns I should have?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Once I got bit by dots I kinda went all in. Life is easier now.

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
    I’m sorry if this has already been discussed. I tried searching for a similar topic but couldn't find anything.

I primarily pocket carry a P365 with night sights in Florida. On days where a cover shirt is feasible (lower temperature) I carry a Glock 19 in an OWB holster. It’s not practical for me to carry the P365 with a red dot (it won’t fit in my pocket)
    Why can't you pocket carry the P365 with a dot?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ry-with-a-MRDS

Does anyone else go back and forth between CCW’s with iron sights and a red dot? Will switching from one to another cause me any issues? I’ve read that with red dots one focuses on the target and with irons the focus is on the front sight. I guess I’m worried about the initial focus point of two different sighting systems being an issue. Or maybe there are other concerns I should have?
    How much trigger time do you have with iron sights? How about with a dot?

I can’t wear a cover shirt on hot Florida days without getting overheated.
    South Florida resident here—lightweight fishing shirts are your friend. Columbia, Orvis, Howler Bros, and Ex Officio (among many others) offer ventilated shirts that work quite well as cover garments and are more than tolerable in summer, while being a common wardrobe option and not standing out as "tactical."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Yes. Mostly due to work requirements.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    To pick up Casey's point:

Absent a medical condition, the types of shirts he described, or even a step farther, something guayabera like with a square bottom in linen/cotton/poly blend wick enough to be be reasonable comfortable, cool and fashionable without being tactical teddy looking at all.

I say this who does this in the KCMO area where we can have 80 plus degrees and/or 80% humidity on any given day from April thru September.

I am in a state of transition and am carrying a G17 w and RDS most frequently, an iron sighted G19 and an iron sighted G35 the rest of the time. I suspect I will RDS the vast majority of the time by the end of 2023.

Purpose designed holster with a purposed designed belt.

https://www.amazon.com/MAXJON-Guayab...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 07-03-2022 at 06:27 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I primarily pocket carry a P365 with night sights in Florida. On days where a cover shirt is feasible (lower temperature) I carry a Glock 19 in an OWB holster. It’s not practical for me to carry the P365 with a red dot (it won’t fit in my pocket) but I’m tempted to give a red dot a try on the Glock 19 because of age and eyesight.

If the red dot would work for me on the Glock I would still have to regularly pocket carry the P365 with iron sights; I can’t wear a cover shirt on hot Florida days without getting overheated.

Yes. I do.

Pocket revolver (iron sights) and red dot semi-autos.

I compete with red dots and it has made my iron revolver shooting even better.

Yes work requirements.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

I do.

I carry a 17/RMR when I want, and carry a 26/Ameriglos when I want.

I’m a huge fan of red dots and shoot one more than I don’t. My irons shooting hasn’t diminished at all and I am still confident that an iron sighted 26 is a damn good sidearm.

User Tag List