Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunbroker enabled Model 10

I got bit by exactly the same bug.

After reading Jerry Kuhnhausen’s shop notes (as opposed to simply using it as a reference), I decided I need more PBP (Pre Bangor Punta) guns.

So I happened across this 10-5 on GB. The SN says it left Springfield in the 1963-65 time frame.

Since I don’t do safe queens, I normally shop for shooter-grade guns and thought that was what I bought, but this very-little-used blue & walnut beauty showed up at my dealer.

The BK adapter is my addition.

I haven’t shot it yet since my new-gun protocol is to tear-down, inspect & clean.

This gun was very clean except for an over abundance of oil in its innards.

The BC gap won’t take a .004 feeler. No detectable end shake.

The only downer was the DA pull, which was even but felt like I was pulling an 18-wheeler with my finger.

I didn’t measure the before pull weight, but a couple hours of judicious stoning has it down to a manageable 9.5 lbs (my pull gauge isn’t digital, so 1/4-lb increments are the best I can detect.)

The stocks number to the gun and are pristine, except for oxidation around the monogram.

There is just no comparison in looks between diamond walnuts and the later goncalo alves.

Range trip this week.

Very nice model 10s friends

And they are such a pleasure to shoot and to carry! Thanks for the pics! and a Happy 4th to y'all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    And they are such a pleasure to shoot and to carry! Thanks for the pics! and a Happy 4th to y'all!!!!

Totally agree! Happy 4th to all as well!

I received my P-F orange AIWB K-frame holster from Tony a few weeks ago. Excellent work as always.

Hopefully get to the outdoor range and shoot some steel before the week is over.

Great looking revolver jtcarm!

I don't own any safe-queens either. Guns are made to shoot!

Just thought I tag on here with an update and some pics and observations of the Model 15 I also picked up (mentioned in the Enabling Thread ).

I picked up the Model 15 Wednesday. Wow. Tyler grip adapter, S&W holster, and nice and tight with great bluing.

I did take it straight onto the range. The first 6 rounds at 7 yards had 5 touching. I pulled the 6th 2 inches high at 1 o'clock. I lack the skills of most of you guys, but the joy of shooting is there.

I made it out to the outdoor range Friday with the (disassembled, cleaned, stoned and reassembled) Models 10 & 15.

We shot steel from 7 to 15 yards... I should take pics (reminder to old self). The orange paint on the model 10 front sight really helped.
    I've done the same to the model 15 and it's drying as I type this.

I ran around 100 rounds through each. The brass is tumbling now to reload.

Tony's (JMCK) holster is excellent of course.

Thanks for the "enabling"! And thanks for the tips on revolver disassembly and maintenance. Heck, I even took my 1992 640 apart and gave it a much needed cleaning yesterday.

Revolver internals are not nearly as daunting now LOL.

Attachment 91310

Attachment 91311

Name:  S&w model 15 disassembled.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  S&W model 15.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  63.7 KB

Attachment 91314

Really nice looking guns

Site Supporter
    For a great many people the HB 3" RB Model 10 is the end all and be all. However this thread got me to wondering, has anyone ever seen or did S&W ever make a 3" skinny barrel, RB Model 10? Inquiring minds (and people too lazy to cross the room and spend 5 minutes trying to find something in the S&W book) want to know.

PS: I think that would be a very KOOL Model 10.

Dave

There were some oddball Australian Model 10 3" with a "heavy tapered barrel that came back to the states several years ago. Unusual barrel configuration with a square butt. Google Australian Model 10s. Somewhere in that response will be that aforementioned gun. Good shooters had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    There were some oddball Australian Model 10 3" with a "heavy tapered barrel that came back to the states several years ago. Unusual barrel configuration with a square butt. Google Australian Model 10s. Somewhere in that response will be that aforementioned gun. Good shooters had one.
    Sorry I missed out on those. I’m sure they’re an arm & a leg now.

For guns I do own, first dozen from the “new” M10. Standing SA at 50’

I had over-caffeinated that morning and it was sure noticeable.

I need to load ammo but am low on bullets. NormallyI cast, but it’s 100+ around here with no relief in sight, so guess I’ll bite the bullet and order some.

User Tag List