Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forward sling mount for 870 with XS mag tube extension?

Forward sling mount for 870 with XS mag tube extension?

Bought a Magpul 870 clamp on sling mount, but the provided screw is too short, and the clamp itself seems doesn't fit between the tube and barrell.

For reference the mag extension use is the XS version:
    https://xssights.com/products/reming...nsion-kit.html

On an 870 using an 18 in rifle sight barrel.

The extension itself so far has been good, but I want some way to put a sling on the gun that is not a single point.

Site Supporter
    Edge of lane:

I note this extra hardware kit is often bought on amazon with the mount as per the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-QD-Cup...0AEM35JM&psc=1

If it is just the matter of a screw, could a local, independent hardware store have something that could work?

Edited to add- I know a number of folks who ran this GG &G set up from the last century. It certainly worked for them as an evolution past the single point.

https://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-...tachments.html
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Edge of lane:

I note this extra hardware kit is often bought on amazon with the mount as per the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-QD-Cup...0AEM35JM&psc=1

If it is just the matter of a screw, could a local, independent hardware store have something that could work?

Edited to add- I know a number of folks who ran this GG &G set up from the last century. It certainly worked for them as an evolution past the single point.

https://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-...tachments.html

I've though about trying to find a screw that would work, but haven't had the time. But the bigger issue is it looks like it would only be a band aid as the main issue is the posts that connect the 2 halves are too thick to fit between the barrel and tube without flexing the tube concernedly.
    I would be concerned about cranking it down like that.

I've looked at the sling plates, but the XS is retained by the spring detent.
    The secondary reason I want a clamp on style is to help keep the extension from possibly unscrewing itself.

It might end up I need to get a different extension.
    The XS was what was available at the time I was looking.
    It's been a low priority project.

You could contact XS and see what mag clamp they recommend. Or you could run the mag extension without a clamp…

I ran my gun with a clamp for years out of fear the tube would come loose. I recently tried it at the range without the clamp and put about 100 rounds and there were no problems. Just in case, I drew a small witness mark across the tube and the tube extension as a quick visual aid to see if there was any loosening. I’ve talked to others who run without the clamp and they say that after a long or intense range session, they might have to re-tighten the tube a few clicks at the end of the day.

As for the sling, I now run a GGG Picatinny rail mount. With the rail, I can run a tac light and a rail mounted qd cup.

Here’s a pic of my sling mount/light setup, minus the barrel clamp…

Name:  602CE2EF-5C1A-4F3A-AD79-FE66506B36C4.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  48.5 KB

Site Supporter
    I have a 590 with a tube that goes almost to the end of the barrel, and then the sling mouting point really puts it out there. I have had a bunch of sling swivels that the muzzle blast absolutely destroyed. the uloop seems to be the solution.

pat

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    But the bigger issue is it looks like it would only be a band aid as the main issue is the posts that connect the 2 halves are too thick to fit between the barrel and tube without flexing the tube concernedly.
    This is a "thing" with some 870 parts. Sometimes it seems like tolerance stacking, but not always. The aftermarket clamps are the most frequent bad actors, but I have even seen some factory extension tube and clamp combinations that do what you describe, and they flat-out bent the tube down too far. In one case, Remington wanted the problematic one back to look at and then sent me a replacement that was good to go. The tubes and the barrel bore axis should be more-or-less parallel.

Remington's OEM extensions with the groove rolled into the tube are designed to - among other things - allow their clamp screw to clear the tube (and the barrel); I went back to the OEM setup after having a bending issue with one of the better-made aftermarket tubes and a reputable aftermarket clamp.

I do not think there is one perfect solution to increasing the capacity on trad 870s, but as I said, I went back to factory ones as the "least bad" option. YMMV.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I read in a different thread about people having problems with an extension tube and clamp for their Berettas. The manufacturer recommended loosening the tube about half a turn, then tightening down the clamp. They explained that by doing this the clamp wouldn’t add stress to the tube/barrel alignment and the clamp would prevent the tube from coming loose.

FWIW, this is a big reason why I stick with Vang or Wilson tube extensions that include the sling mount. I don't like the ones that sandwich between the extension and the main tube, as it reduces the thread engagement of the extension.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

This is how I do it...

...has worked fine so far;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List