Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constitutional Carry in Louisiana for Veterans

Site Supporter

Constitutional Carry in Louisiana for Veterans

The law is here. Basically it says that Louisiana residents who have been honorably discharged from active duty, the Reserves or the Army or Air National Guard, or folks in the military and stationed in Louisiana, may carry concealed without a permit. Requirements are pretty much the same as for a carry permit - must be able to legally own a firearm, can't go armed to places state and/or Federal law puts off-limits, etc. - you just don't need to have the permit. It does require some ID showing active duty or veteran status. It goes into effect on 8/1/22.

I wish they had that here. I wouldn't have to drive 75 miles to the county court house, apply for a renewal, pay the fee and wait 30 days..... for the rest of my life.

My shipmate and good friend who lived in Shongaloo, LA. would have welcomed this. Too little, too late, but a great tribute to veterans still alive. Well done.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-01-2022 at 11:04 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

This is complete crap. All it does is promote that some of us are lessor because we are/were not part of the elite [government] class.

How many veterans were actually well trained in firearms by the military?

What percentage of veterans actually used guns as part of their military job?

How much experience did veterans have CCWing while they were active duty and living on a military base?

Constitutional carry should be a 50-state constitutional thing. I'm unhappy that retired police get special privileges. I'm unhappy that veterans get special privileges. I'm unhappy with this law.

This is something, and a positive step forward. While it may be accurate to characterize the state in general as “ruby red”, there are also large dependent populations in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and along the Delta.

We have a D governor, and while he may be prior service and more broadly conservative than the national party, he’s still taking national party money, direction, and influence.

Soon enough he will be gone, and with hope, replaced by an executive who would not attempt to wield his veto against the citizen’s right to self defense. Until that day, this is a win that gets us closer to other pro-gun states.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    This is complete crap. All it does is promote that some of us are lessor because we are/were not part of the elite [government] class.

How much experience did veterans have CCWing while they were active duty and living on a military base?

Constitutional carry should be a 50-state constitutional thing. I'm unhappy that retired police get special privileges. I'm unhappy that veterans get special privileges. I'm unhappy with this law.
    Part of me says, Common law means something and I agree with you. That includes the USAF Retired part of me.

Part of me says, You've moved the sticks and got a 1st down. Keep moving the ball down the field with Constitutional Carry as the end zone. That is the part of me who testified in support of Constitutional Carry in Indiana three times this year, and numerous times over the last five years.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, the state legislature passed Constitutional Carry the session before last but the Governor vetoed it. We'll get there.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Anyone trying to tie carry for anyone to training while simultaneously talking about constitutional carry seems to be missing their own argument.

It's not about well trained, or even well disciplined. Veterans as the elite class? Somebody should fucking alert the VA. No, it's about recognition of service and being willing to put the needs of society above your personal needs. American society could do with a bit more social standing for cops and soldiers, because you can't recruit to those sorts of jobs based solely on money. Not and get the people you want.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I would buy that, BBI, but for two things:

lots of people serve the public at peril to themselves
    I have never been about TMFMS

I appreciate them having the stones to dunk on the Guv after the veto, but that's all this is.

Site Supporter

What’s the actual harm here? It seems like a step in the right direction, and unlikely to be the last. It could serve as a good example down the road to show that permitless carry didn’t cause problems, and bolster the argument that it should apply more broadly.

On a practical level, more "good guys" carrying is a positive thing, especially for a violent place like LA. Temper tantrums about perceived fairness shouldn’t get in the way of actual progress. Your position seems to be “if I can’t have it, nobody should”, and that is just not sensible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    What’s the actual harm here? It seems like a step in the right direction, and unlikely to be the last. It could serve as a good example down the road to show that permitless carry didn’t cause problems, and bolster the argument that it should apply more broadly.
    If ConstCarry for everyone is realized quickly, then no harm, no foul. However, I too am not crazy about giving "special groups" rights of any kind not enjoyed by others. Granting veterans this right further feeds into the narrative that only "professionals" are trustworthy with firearms (see that general's quote about "if you want to shoot assault weapons, join the military" from several years ago).

Chris

User Tag List