Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bodyguard v.2 18350

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Very nice, I commit to buy one.
    Thanks Yung, I'll keep you posted!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

LEGO Lot #2

A small quantity of this build will be available in about two weeks. PM me if you want to reserve one.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

The BG Interface in Use

For those who have not tried the Malkoff Bodyguard, the "step-down" feature is unique.

The BG heads (v.1 and v.2) are the exact same heads, the only difference is the range of voltage they can work with. The original v.1 head is designed to work with a single CR123 battery, with which it produces 600 lumens on high. It can also use a single Li-ion cell (4.2 volts) to produce 800 lumens or two CR123 batteries to produce 900 lumens. The v.2 version produces 1,000 lumens on either a single Li-ion cell or two CR123 batteries.

Small, high-output lights generally require some timed "throttling" to prevent over-heating of either the light itself or of the CR123 battery (which have limited current-handling capability compared to a Li-ion cell). Most other lights use a gradual, imperceptible reduction over a minute or so to reduce the current draw to a sustainable level. The step-down on the BG heads is for the same purpose, except that it's designed to be a user feature instead of just a safety measure.

Note - the Malkoff E2 Super head is essentially a Bodyguard head with identical beam characteristics but without the step-down, producing a continuous 850 lumens.

In use, the Bodyguard step-down is actually quite useful. The light always activates on high and remains there for eight seconds, which I find is more than enough time to scan my surroundings. The light can be quickly turned off and then back on (a blip of the switch) to reset the 8-second timer for maximum output.

However, in every day use I find the low setting of 250 lumens to be excellent for most tasks. Walking the dogs or navigating a dark parking lot, the 250 lumens spread over the wide, even beam the Bodyguard's TIR lens produces is very useful. The other major advantage is run time - the current draw at 250 lumens is about 20% of what it is on high, which greatly extends the run time. This is something to consider for an EDC light that might be called on to provide continuous illumination for a few hours without over-heating or depleting the battery.

For "tactical" or self-defensive use, the 8-second drop-down may not even come into play. If the light is being used with a "flash and move" technique, I find it's rare that it stays on for more than a few seconds. Since I use the momentary function of the switch for this application, the Bodyguard essentially becomes a single, high-output light.

For a dedicated "fight light" I prefer single mode operation with no step-down. My EDC light for this purpose uses the larger, high-candela Malkoff E2XTD head which is blindingly bright but has high current draw and only about 15 minutes of run time on an 18650 cell. The Bodyguard is better suited for more conventional use and can most certainly be used effectively for self-defense purposes.

These two lights compliment each other and between the two of them fully cover my EDC needs. They're small and light enough that I find it's no issue to carry both, but if I could only carry one it would be the Bodyguard.

I made a batch of three....

...two are sold, one remains available. PM me if you want to claim the last one!

• Malkoff Bodyguard v.2 head upgraded with UCL™ v3 Lens - AR Coated Borofloat® lens
    • LF E1 Classic Gen 1, 1 Cell Flashlight Body
    • LF E2T tailcap with medium press McClicky boot
    • Custom lanyard

Critical specs;

• Weight = 2.6 ounces as shown (with 18350 cell and lanyard)
    • OAL = 3.815" (just enough to get a good grip on)
    • Output = 1,000 lumens/12,000 candela on high, 250 lumens on low (approximately 3,000 candela)

Recommended Cells for the BG v.2 18350

As per previously discussed, here is my preferred cell for this light;

https://www.orbtronic.com/18350-batt...i-ion-flat-top

This is a quality cell with Li-ion / Hybrid IMR chemistry and high current handling.

This is also a recommended cell;

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...-flat-top.html

For those who would prefer to use a protected cell, this one fits in the BD v.2 18350 and has an 8-amp continuous draw rating;

https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...utton-top.html

This cell measures 39.0 mm in length (vs. 34.7 mm for the unprotected flat top cells above). It slides into the battery compartment with no resistance and just fits lengthwise with a bit of spring compression left to spare. I've used this specific protected cell in my BG v.2 18350 and it works without issue.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Sidebar

What is the difference between uses for protected vs unprotected cells? Advantages vs disadvantages and other important considerations?

Feel free to refer me to wiki-style reading somewhere if need be..
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Sidebar

What is the difference between uses for protected vs unprotected cells? Advantages vs disadvantages and other important considerations?

Feel free to refer me to wiki-style reading somewhere if need be..
    Good resource here - https://batteryuniversity.com/

Generally speaking....

• Unprotected cells can have much higher current carrying capacity due to their chemistry
    • Unprotected cell manganese chemistry is more stable than the cobalt chemistry used in protected Li-ion cells - https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...afety-concerns
    • The protection circuit in a protected cell is a PCB wafer on the negative terminal. This makes the cell longer, which can be an issue in a tight battery compartment.
    • The "protection" provided by the circuit is mainly protection for the cell itself: over discharge, over charging, over current conditions that can damage the cell
    • The primary safety benefit of the protection circuit is the prevention of catastrophic cell failure (potential fire, explosion) if the cell is short circuited (like carrying a cell in a pocket with change, keys or other conductive things that could bridge the positive and negative terminals of a cell that's not in a protective container)
    • The main disadvantages of protected cells are (1) greater length compared to a standard CR123 and (2) the PCB can be damaged and/or fail. This is why using a protected cell in a critical use device (such as a WML) is not the best option.

For those of us who CCW and regularly handle firearms, learning the safe handling procedures of unprotected cells should not be a big deal. IMO, using unprotected cells in quality EDC flashlights is no more hazardous than carrying AIWB with a loaded chamber. ;-)

I can't seem to find any unprotected 16650 batteries. Any suggestions for good quality 16650 batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I can't seem to find any unprotected 16650 batteries. Any suggestions for good quality 16650 batteries?
    https://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...n-battery.html

Otherwise protected 16650 cells from KeepPower or Orbtronic are the way to roll.

I purchased one of NH Shooter's BG v.2 18350 "Lego" flashlight assemblies.

I only recently got some of the 18350 Li-Ion batteries for it, and have been able to assess its working qualities.

It's extremely bright when first clicked on, and used in any sort of confrontational dusk or nighttime setting, the initial 8 second focused 12,000 candela beam, directed toward the face, ought to be more than sufficient to disorient any person with "bad intentions", and interrupt his immediate plans.

I consider the size to be pretty much ideal.
    It's only an inch wide at the head (the widest portion of the light), and just under 4" in overall length, so it easily goes in a pocket, though I hope to find some sort of belt pouch for it for sake of quicker access, and so it doesn't get too dinged up.
    It weighs next to nothing.

The step-down brightness (nominally 250 lumens) is more than enough for any routine indoor searching or illumination task I'd ever expect to perform, but since my main interest in purchasing the light is its "deterrence value", I consider it an optimum EDC light for my purposes.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List