View Poll Results: Which optic for training gun?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eotech EXPS 3-0

2 11.11%
  • Aimpoint T1/T2

9 50.00%
  • TA11 ACOG

2 11.11%
  • Budget LPVO

5 27.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Gun Optics Choice: Training-specific use case

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I like EO Techs on Unity risers for NVG usage otherwise I perfer to use Aimpoints on my short rifles. On the some of the 14.5 and 16 inch barreled ones I do have LPVO's. Two have Vortex Razor HD's. One a NF NX8, one a Trijicon Credo. I also have one of the older Leupold 1.5-5 MR/Ts mounted on one of my AUGs. Of all the LVPOs I think I prefer the NX8 the most though the Razors seem like they have a slightly bigger eyebox. For anything "real" I'd ever have to do in my retired .mil/ gun guy life with a AR, I am confident that one of my Aimpoint equipped rifles is more than adequate. Everything else is duty grade and fun but honestly really just for larping at this point...at least for me.
    Name:  76FDD64E-B41C-4F4D-B362-0FC381483913.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  31.9 KB

I have two uppers; 1 equipped with an Aimpoint Comp M4 with SIG 4X mag and #2 with Trijicon TA 11 3.5X . Both have strengths and weaknesses. The TA 11 is awesome beyond 25m, clear bright glass, mine has a chevron that I find easy to use. But up close, support side? Slower and less precise to my eyes. Overall better than the Aimpoint with 4X at distance but the Aimpoint with flip to side magnifier is waaay better up close and no slouch at distance. I hear the EOtech magnifier has clearer glass so that's something to try.
    At my last 2 gun match I brought the TA 11 equipped upper and as soon as I started wished I had the Aimpoint since most of the rifle stages were fast and close. Only one stage at 300m . The TA 11 handled the lone 300m stage with ease.

IMO, for unpredictable and changing field conditions I would agree with those who say an Aimpoint w/magnifier or a ACOG with RMR might be best.

This is where I ended up. Thanks for all the feedback both in the thread and on the poll. Just to reiterate: for a go-to gun, my 11.5 as shown in the OP with NX8 + RMR and suppressor is my go-to. It covers all the bases for me. This new 14.5 is a second AR to serve as a training/competition beater that is also quality enough that it could be pressed into service if needed.

I decided on the T2 Scalarworks combo for the optic. All the 3gun matches I’ve shot around here are 200yds max. I’ve taken top spot in some of them with a 10.3 and a T1 in the past. This gun allows me to have a non-NFA gun to beat on a bit for these matches and/or training. As to the whole “train like you fight” the RMR on my 11.5 really is my primary optic, so the T2 on this 14.5 replicates that well. The NX8 is there as a decent RDS alternative/backup on 1X with 8X on top end if needed for PID/precision.

As to the Aimpoint/mag combo, I’ve had that combo in the past as well and similarly to the TA33 ACOG, I found the FOV akin to looking through a straw.

Just got the barrel back from ADCO from a pin/weld and FSB shave.
    G receiver set
    G MK4 13.5
    G LPK
    G SD-E
    G Trigger Guard
    BCM RE kit
    BCM Mod4 CH
    BCM Grip
    Magpul CTR w/enhanced pad
    Magpul MBUS pro sights
    Surefire 640 Scout Pro
    Aimpoint T2 on Scalarworks