Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had Glock Gen5 trigger problems, what lube??

If you had Glock Gen5 trigger problems, what lube??

So it’s no secret that some Gen5 Glocks have developed rough, gritty, heavy triggers fairly early in their life. I have had this happen to several and may be connecting some dots, or might be a vase of correlation not equaling causation.

So if you’ve had Gen5 trigger problems, what lube do you use??

Edited post - Sorry, misunderstood, I have not had problems with any of the four Gen 5s I've had.

Site Supporter
    Gen 5 34 trigger started going bad at about 1000 rounds. Break Free CLP

Not sure about G5 Glocks, but for CZ sears I like a super thin layer of Lucas marine grease.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Qualifier: I am NOT a gunsmith, but I can take a Glock apart and get it back together. Yes, that's a (very) low bar.

I've noticed that happening on a couple of Gen 5 Glocks. The stock trigger (or an Apex one) is great, and then it becomes a bit "crunchy" or uneven. When it happened to mine, the round count was low enough (hundreds, maybe a couple of thousand) that I figured nothing was really worn out, so I assumed (coming from a long time 1911 background) that there was a problem with too little lube or maybe some burnt powder debris was collecting on some moving parts. I'm kind of anal about keeping guns clean, and, again, with the 1911 history, probably over lube parts.

Anyway, I'd field strip the gun, inspect everything in case the problem was visible, look at dispersal of lube, etc. If nothing was apparent, I'd blast the innards were spray cleaner, disassemble the slide and frame, and look at the striker channel and parts, all the moving parts in the frame, etc. One thing I do remember was that occasionally the finish (chrome?) on the connector and/or trigger bar would show some flaking. Same with the striker contact.

Not sure I could say I found "the one source" of the problem, but pretty much every time I cleaned the striker and channel, lubed everything according to Glock (although I do tend to use a bit of very light grease on the slide/frame contact points. Usually, that (a thorough clean and lube) would restore the trigger pull to its "original" condition.

Oh, and don't try to work the trigger like it's a 1911 trigger. Just smoothly press the trigger through, and don't try to stage it. At least that's what works for me.

@flyrodr

Agree with that. Trigger crunch in a Glock that’s acquired can often be from sprung parts in the slide like the safety plunger and striker so your process is a good one!

The trigger in my Gen5 19 MOS was "okay". I thought it would improve with shooting as that has been my experience, It hasn't. It has gotten worse. just yesterday I ordered an NP3 finished connector and striker block from ODT for it.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

What flyrodr said and also, a light polish with a Dremel and toothpaste is better (to me) than lube, at least on the right parts. Don't polish until the chrome flakes.
    #RESIST

I have a 34 and a 26. I use Lucas gun oil. I have used it on my Gen 4 guns that Ive owned for years. The two guns I have relatively low round count. I am making this post as a reference if I do begin to notice I can look back.

Any glock trigger issues I have had are not lube related.

If you are experiencing a crunch try inverting the plunger spring. If it is installed backward it potentially will not depress smoothly.

Another thing to look it is to see if the connector is causing the trigger bar to drag on the frame. You can tune (bend) the connector slightly to stop the dragging but still function 100%. Correcting trigger bar drag makes for a much better trigger. This can be overdone but it will be obvious when it fails a dry a function check.

User Tag List