Thread: Glock 19 Gen 2, w/ pre-update Black Parts

Glock 19 Gen 2, w/ pre-update Black Parts

Hi guys, i posted this on FTT too, but i'm looking for as much advise as possible.

I recently bought a Gen2 19 that has never had the 6-Part Update performed on it. I bought it because i wanted an old Glock (that's proof-marked!), and that has the reputation of 'perfection'. But since this is so old, it has the older Black colored parts that (from what i understand) might be potentially unsafe. Logic tells me to do the upgrade.

BUT.. if i have it upgraded, will Glock replace the parts with 'problematic' new parts (dip extractor)? If so, i'm going to be wondering if i'll have brass-to-face issues like i sometimes have with my "P" serial Gen3 RTF19.

So what would you do.... Run it as-is, all old-school? Update it 100%? Or mix it up.. like, keep the old ejector, and extractor.. but replace everything else?

I'm thinking of having Glock send the update parts to a local armorer, because i want to keep the old parts, even if they're not being used in the gun. Is that weird?

One last thing: it has a metal guide rod w/ captured spring. Toss that out? I have a spare Gen 3 guide rod setup.

Please advise, I'll appreciate it.

Pics:

In the store, about to be adopted:

~Greg

Site Supporter
    Do the upgrades.
    Don't worry about keeping the old parts, except for maybe the extractor and spring loaded bearing.
    Replace the metal guide rod.

If you want "Perfection" I wouldn't upgrade it as Glock will put in MIM parts. If it runs fine now, why fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Do the upgrades.
    Don't worry about keeping the old parts, except for maybe the extractor and spring loaded bearing.
    Replace the metal guide rod.
    Keep the old bearing? I hear ya, but i'm curious as to why you mention that guy. I assume it's because it's part a working extraction system.

Site Supporter
    The spring load bearing (SLB) is different for LCI and non LCI extractors.

So, if you're keeping the old extractor, you should keep the old SLB.

I would do the upgrades, but keep the old parts, especially the OEM extractor and bearing set. I'd toss the aftermarket RSA; 1) non-OEM units are noted for their abilities to provide interesting operational challenges/hiccups; and 2) since you have no idea how many rounds the RSA has absorbed, the prudent thing would simply to replace it with a new OEM RSA-and it's probably not such a bad idea to concurrently replace the trigger return spring with the new battleship gray OEM spring, the striker spring, all magazine springs, the slide lock spring, and the slide stop assembly (i.e., the slide stop with it's attached spring), and the firing pin safety spring.

You might also want to replace the OEM triggerbar with the appropriate 2-pin triggerbar with a smooth trigger for a G17/G22; it'll make your shooting experiences a bit more comfortable.

I'd personally replace the OEM polymer sights with at least the Glock steel sights for increased durability.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-30-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys. After f'in pulling TEETH to get my local 'Glock armorer' to believe what i was telling him, he finally called Glock after i got his boss involved. The upgrade parts only took 5 weeks to get to me.. lol. My armorers boss let me keep the original parts, so i guess i got what i wanted.

Things of interest, probably only to me:

I installed a set of Defoor's, 5 of my other Glock's have Defoor's and i love em. Went and shot it and discovered that i was hitting way low, it was quite bizarre. I went home and mic'd the factory rear i pulled off it and discovered it was a tall factory rear. A quick call to Rick fixed my issue, he sent me a tall rear and that fixed all my POI/POI issues.

The Upgrade parts kit came with a non-LCI extractor. I might give that a try, just because i'm curious about it, but i've still got the original if anything bad happens.

I decided to change the RSA to a stock unit, trigger bar, striker, and plunger. And i changed all springs, the load bearing spring, the slide lock, and trigger return spring. The Vickers slide release fits the G19 very well.

So far she shoots great! Tkanks for all the help!

User Tag List