Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browning BPS Riot Gun

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Yes, y'all gotta have the tube.

Is it drilled and tapped?
    I'm thinking piccy rail and a dot.

My very first shotgun was a BPS field special.
    Action was slick.
    I literally just found that video and watched it before I saw you posted it. I don't believe it's tapped, I asked about a top rail and it was a negative. Actually planning on keeping as is other than the tube if I can find one suitable. It's going to be KISS kinda thing for me and truthfully the aftermarket pretty much sucks so there's little to choose from in the BPS world.
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 06-29-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Moral of the story for me here : sometimes it pays to get into bed late from drinking and wake up early @ 4 AM because you're a bit hungover only to find a friendly PF enabler share the prospect of a 'new toy'.

The first defensive shotgun I ever bought was one of those Browning models. I grew up shooting Brownings so when I saw a Browning defensive shotgun I thought it was perfect. The problem was that I always shot autos growing up and never shot pumps so it was pretty unnatural for me to run it. I would shoot and then wonder why it wouldn’t reload. :-)

I recall paying $500 for it new and it sat in the safe for many years before being traded off for about……$250.

Site Supporter
    The bps was much better than the Ithaca I had. That a fucking steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Moral of the story for me here : sometimes it pays to get into bed late from drinking and wake up early @ 4 AM because you're a bit hungover only to find a friendly PF enabler share the prospect of a 'new toy'.
    Darn it, my cleaning living ways worked against me on this one!

Looks like you got an excellent deal. Enjoy!
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Once I owned the BPS security version with the extended magazine tube. These weapons are heavy to start with. The long tube version when loaded was too heavy. Our PF member bought a fine defense shotgun. It's lean and mean as it is but has enough heft to comfortably handle buckshot. Also I owned a BPS 10 ga slug gun with a 22 inch barrel. I loved it The shells were 3.5 inches long. I used it for home defense loaded with 3.5 inch shells holding 2 ounces of number 4 lead shot. I was fortunate to own and shoot many different shotguns. Our sheriff had a full automatic Browning Auto 5 that he let me play with. He had confiscated the gun which was full auto because of Bubba gun smithing. After I had my fun, he had it repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Darn it, my cleaning living ways worked against me on this one!

Looks like you got an excellent deal. Enjoy!
    Normally I'm clean as a whistle but happened upon a case of strong IPA's a few days ago and have been having one here and there.

It seemed like a good deal considering you can't buy even BPS barrel from Browning for less than that. I wish I knew what MSRP or retail was on these though but I'd never seen them before, I wondered for years if Browning made something like this after owning a 28" Field model with Mossy Oak Breakup Infinity Duratouch coating on it. That was a beautiful gun but I never got out to hunt with it and just traded it years ago.

So I had this delivered to my FFL today only to get a text from him that there was likely damage upon receipt of the box. Whoever boxed it up didn't have a clue and basically it was not disassembled and just stuffed in a box that with the exact same length as the gun with just plastic bubble (think what Amazon uses) on either side of the gun. The muzzle came through three layers of corrugated cardboard and got scraped by the cement on my FFL's porch.

I can't tell any other damage other than that but wonder if it's possible that the barrel is somehow damaged beyond the cosmetic. There's no removable choke and my main concern is something like a bend in the barrel (which wasn't obvious sighting down it) or something else if it was dropped hard enough. The FFL wasn't home when it was left on the porch so no idea how hard it may have been banged.

Can anybody knowledge tell me what may have been damaged beyond just the obvious scrape on the muzzle? I talked to the owner of the sending FFL after this and he's willing to give me a full refund ($275 w/ shipping) to have them send it back on their dime. I asked about doing a bit of a rebate on it just to have it gunsmithed but he refused and said they'd fix it themselves. So it's keep it and deal with it as is or send it back for refund. Ideas?

Name:  C89A3824-1F46-4657-A63B-AD334EF24B2A_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  31.8 KB Name:  8B31AF8C-36BD-49ED-B323-E3158F3FE1EE_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views: 270
Size:  26.5 KB
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 07-02-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    So I had this delivered to my FFL today only to get a text from him that there was likely damage upon receipt of the box. Whoever boxed it up didn't have a clue and basically it was not disassembled and just stuffed in a box that with the exact same length as the gun with just plastic bubble (think what Amazon uses) on either side of the gun. The muzzle came through three layers of corrugated cardboard and got scraped by the cement on my FFL's porch.

I can't tell any other damage other than that but wonder if it's possible that the barrel is somehow damaged beyond the cosmetic. There's no removable choke and my main concern is something like a bend in the barrel (which wasn't obvious sighting down it) or something else if it was dropped hard enough. The FFL wasn't home when it was left on the porch so no idea how hard it may have been banged.

Can anybody knowledge tell me what may have been damaged beyond just the obvious scrape on the muzzle? I talked to the owner of the sending FFL after this and he's willing to give me a full refund ($275 w/ shipping) to have them send it back on their dime. I asked about doing a bit of a rebate on it just to have it gunsmithed but he refused and said they'd fix it themselves. So it's keep it and deal with it as is or send it back for refund. Ideas?

The dude who packed and wrapped your gun ships long guns and handguns all over the United States. He has shipped 18 for me. In every instance I have observed him to pack expertly. Though I did not observe him pack the BHP, I think he would performed this task well. Disassembly is not necessary. Many rifles are shipped in this manner.

If you wish to keep the shotgun, you can send the barrel to me at my house, and I will take it to my gunsmith and pay for the repair myself and then return it to you. There will be no time delay. The few bucks that I spend will not matter at all. I'm at a place in life where money can't help me. I can afford to pay for this.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The dude who packed and wrapped your gun ships long guns and handguns all over the United States. He has shipped 18 for me. In every instance I have observed him to pack expertly. Though I did not observe him pack the BHP, I think he would performed this task well. Disassembly is not necessary. Many rifles are shipped in this manner.

If you wish to keep the shotgun, you can send the barrel to me at my house, and I will take it to my gunsmith and pay for the repair myself and then return it to you. There will be no time delay. The few bucks that I spend will not matter at all. I'm at a place in life where money can't help me. I can afford to pay for this.
    Of you choose not to keep it, I will take it as-is.

User Tag List