Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California DOJ bungles New portal and releases personal information of CCW holders an

California DOJ bungles New portal and releases personal information of CCW holders an

Just found out that a lot of firearms owners in California had their personal information exposed thru the new firearms information portal launched by the California DOJ yesterday.

It sounds like a lot of information was exposed including Assault Weapons registrations and Firearms Safety Certificates including driver's license number and date of birth.

"California gun owners have been put at risk by the Attorney General’s office after a new dashboard leaked their personal information."

"The California Department of Justice’s 2022 Firearms Dashboard Portal went live on Monday with publicly-accessible files that include identifying information for those who have concealed carry permits. The leaked information includes the person’s full name, race, home address, date of birth, and date their permit was issued. The data also shows the type of permit issued, indicating if the permit holder is a member of law enforcement or a judge.

The Reload reviewed a copy of the Lost Angeles County database and found 244 judge permits listed in the database. The files included the home addresses, full names, and dates of birth for all of them. The same was true for seven custodial officers, 63 people with a place of employment permit, and 420 reserve officers.

2,891 people in Los Angeles County with standard licenses also had their information compromised by the leak, though the database appears to include some duplicate entries as well."

https://thereload.com/new-california...e-information/

I was unfortunate enough to have my personal information exposed by the CA DOJ under AG Kamala about 8 years ago when they handed over driver's license number, DOBs, and addresses for Firearms Safety Certificate instructors to a reporter in San Diego. I got a whopping 12 months of credit monitoring from Kamala for it.

There's no excuse for this. I'm more than a little miffed about this.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 06-28-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    I really wish I could believe this was just incompetence, and not a deliberate thing to provide for lots of doxxing and various other ways to ruin someone's life.

Site Supporter
    I'm sure there is a state agency that is supposed to look into this sort of thing. Oh, wait, never mind...

https://www.oag.ca.gov/privacy/databreach/reporting

God damn it. That’s inexcusable.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I really wish I could believe this was just incompetence, and not a deliberate thing to provide for lots of doxxing and various other ways to ruin someone's life.
    Sometimes “bugs” are actually features.

Can’t get out of this damned state fast enough!

This was my first thought exactly.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    There is precedent for this sort of thing in other states as well. A small-time NY newspaper felt compelled by Newtown to create heatmap of social undesirables with gun registration data. Think of the children.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/ne...map/index.html
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

"bungles"

Site Supporter
    My first reaction.

Second reaction was... "yeah right... a mistake.... sorry, not sorry".
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So for the last week I've been getting 3-5 "your car's warranty is about to expire" spam calls. I almost never give out my phone number and for the last few years I've gotten maybe 1 spam call a week. I had assumed the increase in spam was because I ordered a used engine from LKQ online 2 weeks ago and they sold my data, but maybe it was the DOJ's data breach...

User Tag List