Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: California DOJ bungles New portal and releases personal information of CCW holders an

CA DOJ bungholes database....

Almost sounds like some needle dick was upset at a series of SCOTUS rulings and decided to get back at those evil conservatives.

I'd laugh if it back fired and lots of homes without guns got robbed and pillaged, but that would be bad karma.

I don't believe in coincidence.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    The AG, Rob Bonta, issued another press release today exposing that the data breach was significantly broader and worse than previously acknowledged. He didn't flat out say it, but the language he used seemed to tacitly acknowledge it was an 'inside job'. Somebody done fucked up bad. Doesn't sound like this was an "authorized" accidental release.

Yeah sounds like it was anyone who submitted to a background check since 2011. Of course, you have to submit to a background check just to buy ammo here so this is pretty much every lawful owner in the state who has done any shooting over the past decade...

Site Supporter
    While it might be "comforting" in a perverse way to think of this as a direct and deliberate attack on gun owners in CA, this sort of thing is commonplace and almost always due to incompetence. Even now, when we all know privacy is important and how to prevent such obvious disclosures they still continue to happen for a variety of reasons. If you look at the OWASP Top 10 list (which applies with this being a web portal), most of them are simple human error, not technological failures in properly configured systems.

It's scarier to realize that not only was this an accident, it's going to happen again and again to all of us via every service and product we use.

CA, to its credit, does have or plans to have, some of the better privacy regulations in the country. This is one area that Europe and other parts of the world are more clued in than the US.

Chris

Site Supporter
    The outbreak of incompetence, worldwide, is almost pandemic.

"bungles"
    #RESIST

I suppose that it could be incompetence but...
    - Cal is a super lib state
    - A large % all elected officials are anti-gun
    - SCOTUS just handed down a pro-gun ruling
    - There was some work that just happened to occur now on the gun owner database
    All the above could be a coincidence...
    - The AG indicates it was an inside job but that it wasn't an authorized inside job
    Well he11, that is exactly what I would say if I ran the department that did the 'inside job'.

Nothing digital is "confidential". The Internet was designed to share information, which it does quite well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "bungles"
    "Buggers"

pat

User Tag List