Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: California DOJ bungles New portal and releases personal information of CCW holders an

Sounds fishy to me too, especially considering they only JUST went live with it... business as usual I'd say.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I read something about the state directing LE to immediately transition to "shall issue" processing of CHL applications.

This could certainly be a "tit for tat" back at the firearms community.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I read something about the state directing LE to immediately transition to "shall issue" processing of CHL applications.

Makes sense, right as I’m about to leave.

You have a source for this?

On this subject, I don't buy it is an accident, intentional "mistake" by some upset left winger in the bureaucracy who will be excused and not be held accountable....

The CA approved roster and how it has been run is enough proof that the CA bureaucrats are not dealing honestly with their duties when it comes to firearms, probably attributable to the far left ideology of their bosses the elected officials who will wink at it.

Saw that too, trying to remember where. Maybe Mr. Guns n Gear’s YouTube video on the SCOTUS ruling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Makes sense, right as I’m about to leave.

You have a source for this?
    I got an email from the Second Amendment Foundation this morning about a motion they filed in NYC for an injunction against the NYPD and the city of NY regarding their proper cause requirement for CCWs in NYC. They referenced how within 24 hours of Bruen, both the states of NJ and CA told their law enforcement to not enforce the proper cause requirements for CCWs. That’s the only place I’ve seen it other than this forum.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

To recap so far...

Last Thursday, the US Supreme Court released the Bruen decision, affirming the right to bear arms outside the home.

Last Friday, California Attorney General Bonta sent a letter to LE officials in California stating that the "just cause" requirement in CCW applications was unconstitutional.

On Monday, the California DOJ (run by Attorney General Bonta) had a data breech that leaked the names and addresses of hundred of thousands of CCW permit holders. Apparently birth dates and race may have also been released.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

The reality is the California state government has been anticipating the Bruen decision and preparing their response. Governor Newsome acknowledged that in a video he released on Friday. I won't embed the video, but it can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK1xKGMrPlE

Already this week, bills have been introduced in the California legislature that are designed to cripple widespread CCW issuance, before it even starts.

Tuesday, Sen. Anthony Portantino, a Democrat from Glendale, introduced legislation that he said would “update” the state’s concealed carry law to make it more restrictive, while also complying with the highest court’s latest dictate.

The bill, which was authored by Bonta’s office, would create a new statewide application process that explicitly disqualifies applicants who have committed certain felonies or are the subject of restraining orders. Applicants would also need to be at least 21, provide three character witnesses and take an additional firearm storage and safety course.

Beyond the additional hurdles required of applicants, the bill would expand the number of designated “sensitive places” where even a concealed carry license holder would not be allowed to take their firearms. That exception is taken directly from the Supreme Court ruling, which held that the government is allowed to prohibit guns in certain areas, namely schools and government buildings.

Portantino’s Senate Bill 918 would deem all the following “sensitive”: all school grounds, college and university campuses, government and judicial buildings, medical facilities, public transit, public parks, playgrounds, public demonstrations and any place where alcohol is sold. More here: https://calmatters.org/justice/crimi...ncealed-carry/

Bruen was a great win for the 2A community, but Californians shouldn't pop the champagne corks yet.
    Last edited by Mark D; 06-29-2022 at 06:01 PM. Reason: add link

This CA DOJ "bungle" is an interesting case where Hanlon's razor and Occam's have a bit of a conflict.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.

That's a big "nope". They are absolutely NOT going to transition to "Shall Issue" in most CA jurisdictions. In fact, I predict that many departments are going to cost their cities/counties a lot of money by playing fuck-fuck games with CCW permits. Some people are gonna sue, and lawyers are gonna smell the blood in the water.

Some will be clever about their malfeasance....but the Sheriff of San Francisco just issued a public statement saying he will NOT be dropping the 'Good Cause' requirement from the permit application. So basically "I intend to willfully violate the Constitutional rights of my citizens in flagrant defiance of clear guidance by SCOTUS". That's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see how that works out for him. The fact that he can be personally sued for such stupidity has not occurred to this overeducated moron.

As Ron White once said "I didn't know how many it was going to take, but I knew how many they were going to use".

That seems appropriate with CA here. They know how it ends but they won't go willingly.

Some attorneys are already looking at a windfall from the lawsuits that will be generated from this.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List