Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rifles built on non-Ruger, aftermarket 10/22 receivers.

What do they end up at when you price out everything? I always figured it'd cost the same to buy a Volquartsen or something (about $1500).

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Jeez, I've just stood on the edge and looked down into the rabbit hole. A person could get sucked in and spend a lot of money down there.
    Oh yeah. It’s like the AR and 1911 rabbit holes had a love child. A buddy says 10/22 builds are the quickest way to spend $1K on a $300 rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    What do they end up at when you price out everything? I always figured it'd cost the same to buy a Volquartsen or something (about $1500).
    It depends on what you want it to do, how top shelf you want to go and how good you are at finding deals/how patient you are waiting for a deal to come up.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I found this article about a few 10/22 style relievers:

https://blog.refactortactical.com/bl...10-22-receiver

Has S&W un-f'ed itself since 2018?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-center-tcr22/

I was more thinking about the way I build ARs. Picking out quality parts to put together a rifle with all the features I want at the best price I can figure out, without having to buy something and upgrade it and throw away a bunch of parts.
    Are you asking about the extractor issue for Smith and Wesson? If so my first 15-22 had that issue and a return fixed it. The second one didnt have that problem.
    Curious about what the purpose of this rifle will be.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I have a brownells receiver with a TacSol barrel. I've no complaints but I only use it for plinking with my young son. I replaced the ruger receiver when I was troubleshooting a misaligned KRG stock.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I SBR'ed a Kidd receiver awhile back. I figured I might as well do as nice a receiver as I could since I'll be stuck with it. No complaints. The Enoch Deep Six chassis and Midwest Industries folding stock are the third or fourth stock I've had for it, and I think I'm finally happy with this one.

Attachment 90733
    I'll be in my bunk...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Are you asking about the extractor issue for Smith and Wesson? If so my first 15-22 had that issue and a return fixed it. The second one didnt have that problem.
    Curious about what the purpose of this rifle will be.
    No specific intent, other than an accurate range toy.

So far, it looks like the typical program is, buy this expensive part, that expensive part, those expensive parts, and have a modicum of skill while putting them together to not f the whole thing up, and then set about testing a bunch of ammunition, including the premium stuff, to find what it likes best. You will probably end up with a semi-auto that's almost as accurate as an off the shelf bolt gun that cost half as much.

Am I getting close?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I built one on their takedown receiver a couple of years ago when they cleared out the threaded take down barrels. I haven't tested it for groups but I ran it at 25 and 50 yards on on steel plates before I retired at my old department range and was able to get hits pretty easy. I cleared out a 333 rd box of winchester, about 50 of the remington golden bullets and around 100 various other rounds and didn't run into any issues. It fed from the ruger 25 round and 10 round mags without issue. I used mostly "competition" parts for the internals and a steel trigger group I bought off eBay. My brother also built one and it also runs pretty well. He is able to keep it at an inch at 50 yards with cheap ammo.

So far I would say I trust it. Might put a red dot on it as I picked up a t-2 with a 10/22 mount from aim point.

No specific intent, other than an accurate range toy.

So far, it looks like the typical program is, buy this expensive part, that expensive part, those expensive parts, and have a modicum of skill while putting them together to not f the whole thing up, and then set about testing a bunch of ammunition, including the premium stuff, to find what it likes best. You will probably end up with a semi-auto that's almost as accurate as an off the shelf bolt gun that cost half as much.

Am I getting close?
    I like this guys videos shooting standard ammo here with I thought pretty good groups. Ive looked at building them too and Id just go buy a Kidd. Ive read several times people with off the shelf solution eventually going with the Kidd trigger.

https://ozziereviews.com.au/ruger-10...-custom-rifle/

This doesnt display properly on my phone so you might want to try it on a different format.

Heres another option. https://www.ct-precision.com/

My buddy who does airgun work does a lot of barrels. Its a lot of work he dials them in on the lathe then cuts the chamber and lead in with a reamer he made. He feels that and reaming the muzzle are the most important. Of course airguns are choked and he has his own design apparatus for doing a precision choke.

The other important issue is the bore on center. There was a run of airgun barrels that had the bore off center and people were having horrible accuracy issues on a high dollar custom air gun. He did a ton of barrels for that problem.

I only mention this because the average guy has no way of running these checks or the knowledge to do so.

User Tag List