Thread: Ready Position During Short Transitions

Ready Position During Short Transitions

Background: Really old, otherwise healthy guy.,shooting a 9mm 1911 in Steel Challenge. Trying to (finally) figure out the best handgun retention during the very short transition required in the Outer Limits stage where you engage two targets, transition 6 feet to a second box and engage three targets the first of which is generally a 12" plate at slightly over 20 yards.

Most recently I've been trying to keep the gun up and fully extended to minimize the time to get the gun steady on the target and break the shot. I'm not tracking the target during the 3 step transition, but rather keeping the gun pointed in the general target direction. Generally arriving in the second box I'll go with whatever stance I land in - not ideal but the surfaces do vary somewhat. I've found it very difficult to get the gun steady on the target using this approach, almost like an inadequately-damped oscillation. Perhaps if I were stronger this would be less of an issue and I'll get some additional data when I try this with my much lighter Staccato C.

I'm thinking that I would be better off in high compressed ready during the transition since the press-out would then closely mimic my draw stroke which is generally very solid. I'd really like to hear what others might have to offer on this subject.

Not sure what current time breakdowns are, but if I recall correctly, last match had me at about 5 seconds on OL.

Lead with your trailing foot, keep the gun in the eye / target line, experiment with elbow rotated outward vs downward while moving. Dropping your weight is slow. Move with purpose. Arrive ready to break the shot with zero delay.

ETA: For me, full extension of the arms is less than ideal.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post

Lead with your trailing foot
    I am somewhat confused.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I think he means that he steps into the second box with his trailing foot first then brings his leading foot into the box.

Right handed shooter will usually start in the left box on Outer Limits. Shoot two targets, then move right to the center box. Trailing foot means step into the box with the left foot first, then bring the right foot (leading foot) into the box. All the while have the gun up and indexed on the first target and break the shot as soon as you’re inside the box.

Its been a while since I shot SC, but I think this translates over to moving into a new position on a USPSA stage, or that classifier stage Times Two with the two shooting boxes. I experimented with this a bit, and seems like I am more stable if I step in with the ‘trailing foot’ then bring the ‘leading’ foot into place. I found it to be more stable with a less abrupt stop.

My first step out of the l/h box is with my right foot and my first step into the center box is with my right foot. I'll experiment with a bit less arm extension during the transition.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Background: Really old, otherwise healthy guy.,shooting a 9mm 1911 in Steel Challenge. Trying to (finally) figure out the best handgun retention during the very short transition required in the Outer Limits stage where you engage two targets, transition 6 feet to a second box and engage three targets the first of which is generally a 12" plate at slightly over 20 yards.

Most recently I've been trying to keep the gun up and fully extended to minimize the time to get the gun steady on the target and break the shot. I'm not tracking the target during the 3 step transition, but rather keeping the gun pointed in the general target direction. Generally arriving in the second box I'll go with whatever stance I land in - not ideal but the surfaces do vary somewhat. I've found it very difficult to get the gun steady on the target using this approach, almost like an inadequately-damped oscillation. Perhaps if I were stronger this would be less of an issue and I'll get some additional data when I try this with my much lighter Staccato C.

I'm thinking that I would be better off in high compressed ready during the transition since the press-out would then closely mimic my draw stroke which is generally very solid. I'd really like to hear what others might have to offer on this subject.
    What is the actual distance you are moving ? How many steps is it for you ?

What I’ve picked up in US PSA is generally four steps is a good “rule of thumb” between keeping the gun up and breaking down for more efficient movement.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am somewhat confused.
    Right handed shooter begins in left box. After the first two plates, rotate hips toward other box, lead with the left (trailing foot), then right, then left foot into box, take the large rear plate while settling, engage right plate, then stop plate. I'm 5-0, so the steps of others may work out differently.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I think he means that he steps into the second box with his trailing foot first then brings his leading foot into the box...
    Got it. This is slower for me, OL or USPSA. I don't get stable enough sight pic until I get leading foot planted. Planting trailing first makes me wait till leading comes around. Planting leading first allows me to start aiming while I am dragging trailing in. Occasionally picking up a procedural...

This is my idea of near perfect technique. Near because JJ steps all the way in. Other SC pros step in barely enough to keep trailing leg on the box.

Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I think the most important part of Outer Limits is being able to call your shot and efficiently exit the first box.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks for the quick responses. Just by way of clarification: My first step out of the box is with my right (lead) foot. My first step into the center box is with this same foot. Looking at the video, albeit a bit of a blur due to JJ's skill, I can see the value of the narrow stance which certainly would speed up breaking the shot. The big step I take with my left foot to get in the box contributes to unsettling the sight picture I'm trying to refine. I'll see how it goes today with both my iron sight 1911 and my Staccato, now with an ACSS reticle.

User Tag List