Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on LW 1911 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    The 4.25" Ronin in 9mm is a rare bird in these parts, but the one I have gotten my paws on is "a bit of all right." I am not a big fan of alloy-framed 1911's, but this particular Ronin appears to be as good as the Range Officer analogue I have spent considerable time with.
    Does the 4.25” Ronin have proprietary parts as it is an EMP model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    Does the 4.25” Ronin have proprietary parts as it is an EMP model?

The EMP Ronin versions are 3" and 4". The 4.25" is regular 1911 LW Commander in all dimensions.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The EMP Ronin versions are 3" and 4". The 4.25" is regular 1911 LW Commander in all dimensions.
    Thank you for that clarification! That is good news … at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Consider the Sig P210 Carry. I was smitten by the one I recently handled. Dan Wesson money ~$1300.

My 9mm Operator heavily tuned by Dave Sams is probably the most spectacular pistol I own but big and heavy. I can see pursuing another 9mm single action pistol in a smaller lighter format but have no idea yet which. But the list would be an alloy frame Wilson Commander format, EDC X9, Staccato C . . . or that P210 Carry. Dang it was nice.
    I really wanted to like the 210 carry, but recoil seemed snappy for a 9mm. I would like to try one again though.

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    Dropped off 2 LW 1911 .45's for consignment and checked
    out an EDC X9, nice gun but really didn't turn my screw's
    plus if I understand correctly WC gets 3 bill's for a cut.
    I wasn’t going to mention it, knowing it’s out of your specified price range, but I’m absolutely smitten with mine. Best carry gun I’ve ever owned. It fixes many 1911 annoyances for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I really wanted to like the 210 carry, but recoil seemed snappy for a 9mm. I would like to try one again though.
    Very valuable feedback! Thanks!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I wasn’t going to mention it, knowing it’s out of your specified price range, but I’m absolutely smitten with mine. Best carry gun I’ve ever owned. It fixes many 1911 annoyances for me.
    The grip just seemed disproportional to me, the two I'm selling would
    cover the Wilson I looked at, I was entertaining a 1911 and something
    else but, my mind could certainly be swayed!
    We have a house rule, gun money...stays gun money.

I keep being drawn to the X9 series, but I’m a fudd - I want a grip safety on a 1911 derived gun because I don’t want to be restricted to holsters that block the hammer. (The same reason I never bought in to BHPs.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    The grip just seemed disproportional to me, the two I'm selling would
    cover the Wilson I looked at, I was entertaining a 1911 and something
    else but, my mind could certainly be swayed!
    We have a house rule, gun money...stays gun money.
    The grip feels good to me, but admittedly it feels and shoots different than a 1911 or 2011. That said, I've learned that grip comfort can be overrated. Long story short, I bought a Shadow 2 and hated the way it felt in my hand (even gave me a blister). Was set to sell or trade, but decided I need to shoot at least one match before I sold it. Now I have 2 and will likely have a 3rd some time soon. Gun still doesn't fit like a glove, but some of those less than comfort angles seem to make the gun track better... for me, YMMV.

Admittedly, I'd like to see some other grip options for the EDC X9.

Since I didn't elaborate earlier, EDC X9 improvements, IMO.

1. No Grip Safety!!!!!
    2. No grip screws or grip bushings to come loose.
    3. Fixed plunger tube (also true on 2011 and a few 1911s)
    4. Simple slide / barrel take down. No need for paper clips, bushing wrenches, Allen keys, etc.
    5. Sized appropriately for 9mm (instead of 9mm in a .45 size frame).
    6. Quality 9mm specific magazines. No magazine spacers, or extra room for the rounds to slide back and forth.
    7. Easy front sight replacement, like a GLOCK (would have been even better if it used actual GLOCK sights). (Admittedly, this may be a con for some)
    8. No grip safety (this needed to be mentioned more than once )

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I keep being drawn to the X9 series, but I’m a fudd - I want a grip safety on a 1911 derived gun because I don’t want to be restricted to holsters that block the hammer. (The same reason I never bought in to BHPs.)
    Another option, especially if you do Kydex, is a holster that holds the thumb safety in the ON position.

User Tag List