Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on LW 1911 9mm

What's the current 9mm mag situation? Has it been ironed out?
    My last impression from a couple of years ago is that the 9 round mags work but the 10 rounders are somewhat problematic(?)

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What's the current 9mm mag situation? Has it been ironed out?
    My last impression from a couple of years ago is that the 9 round mags work but the 10 rounders are somewhat problematic(?)
    IDK. I've got about ten Wilson ETM 10 rounders that have all run great.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The Model 1911-A1 is as Americana as the Stars and Stripes, baseball, and Mt Rushmore. Now if I were runnin' our operation, an image of the 1911-A1 would be sewed into every copy of the Stars and Stripes, on every MLB baseball, and on Mt. Rushmore. The Model 1911-A1 is American history.

I've owned a few 1911-A1 brands and models. After shooting a Springfield Armory Loaded Model, I sold every 1911-A1 model and brand I owned to include Colt Series 70. I now own only SA 1911-A1s.

In a previous era, Springfield Armory contracted with a Brazilian company for its frames. I'm sure that Brazilian frames were excellent quality just like French wine. All SA 1911-A1 models to include their forged frames are made in the USA.

At one time the 1911-A1 was the most recognized handgun in the world. My guess is now the Glock is due to its ubiquity on TV and the Silver Screen, and because just about every law enforcement agency in the Western world issues a Glock model to its cops.

I'm sure that you could pay far more than the price of a SA TRP 1911-A1 .45 ACP or other brands and models, but you'll never buy better quality. The TRP is the factory produced version of the Springfield Armory Custom Shop's legendary FBI Gun, AKA: Professional Model.

Chis Kyle carried a SA TRP .45 ACP while he was stationed in Iraq. I'd go with many American soldiers who have been in combat carried a 1911-A1 and many American cops have carried/still carry a 1911-A1.

My TRP has been flawless. My kids love to shoot it. The've fired factory range ammo out of it with nary a recoil complaint. By college-aged daughter loves it. She's told me that it's her gun, which it will be when she hits the omniscient age of 21. The TRP is unfathomably accurate which makes target shooting a lot more fun.

After about an hour of handgun safety rules and shooting sports safety laws and rules, my daughter had my TRP completely wired inside of 10 minutes. She adhered to strict safety rules, especially gun handling and assessing its condition (round in chamber). She loaded magazines, inserted them with muzzle pointed downrange, released the slide, positioned her hearing protection, and safely sent rounds down range. Of course, policing brass was my responsibility. After her first TRP range session, she told me she was confident that she could protect her life with my TRP. That could be the reason bears have kept their distance from us

The primary utility of my SA TRP is wilderness protection. A father's most important responsibility is to protect his kids. When we're trout fishing in the Rockies, I rely on my TRP to protect my kids from marauding bears and lions. Thank God, we've been able to avoid confrontation with a bear with bad intentions. The point is I rely on a SA TRP .45 to protect the most precious and irreplaceable people in my life from the most dangerous wild animals in North America.

I believe CZ USA owns Dan Wesson. CZ has an excellent reputation. I doubt that I could find fault with most brans of 1911-A1. It's mostly personal preference that guides us to a specific brand.

Lots of sportsmen own extremely expensive copies of the 1911-A1. My guess is other than professionals who rely upon handguns to save lives and their lives, those expensive 1911-A1s are fired only at paper targets. BTW, I'm completely good with any gun a sportsman uses to have fun and test his competitive skill.

The 1911-A1 earned its reputation saving brave American soldiers and law enforcement officers' lives. Other than wilderness protection and self-defense, the 1911-A1 is at its optimum at firing rangers where it provides endless hours of fun.

My recommendation is the shoot as many brands and models as possible. When you find one that feels perfect in your hands, it might be wise to go with it. Who knows? The one that's perfect for you might be the least expensive. As an exaggeration for illustrative purposes: a $300 1911-A1 that functions flawlessly and is perfect for you would be the way to go. Why buy a 5K 1911-A1 when a $300 1911-A1 works perfectly for you?

I'm sure that I could love all brands of 1911-A1s, but there is at least one brand that I love more than others. I know that other 1911-A1 aficionados feel identically.

BTW, I must disclose that I'm a 1911-A1 aficionado. It is my opinion and my opinion only that the Model 1911-A1 is forged, blued, carbon steel, full-sized, and chambered for only the .45 ACP. I accept others' opinions that deviate from mine. Therapy is available

And yes, I do have a sense of humor.

Check out Springfield Armory's array of 1911-A1s before purchasing. SA seems to have an excellent quality 1911-A1 for every budget.

Oh yeah, two things I can talk about for hours: sports and the many virtues of the 1911-A1.

Site Supporter
    If you could order a full length Staccato c from the factory I would put it on the radar for not much more than a DW. You can also get it with an optics cut. Several members here have had good luck with the standard officers length Staccato C.

https://staccato2011.com/products/si...-swap-service/

Name:  C1C6930B-31D4-46D3-87CB-AA691D179C00.jpeg
Views: 589
Size:  39.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    If you could order a full length Staccato c from the factory I would put it on the radar for not much more than a DW. You can also get it with an optics cut. Several members here have had good luck with the standard officers length Staccato C.

https://staccato2011.com/products/si...-swap-service/

Name:  C1C6930B-31D4-46D3-87CB-AA691D179C00.jpeg
Views: 589
Size:  39.1 KB
    That configuration has got to be one of if not thee pre-eminent 9mm "commander" formats available.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Well, called around today and didn't find anyone near by with a Staccato
    on the shelf but, for shits and grin's gonna try and get a look a X9 later.

Site Supporter
    Dropped off 2 LW 1911 .45's for consignment and checked
    out an EDC X9, nice gun but really didn't turn my screw's
    plus if I understand correctly WC gets 3 bill's for a cut.
    I was talking to another customer in the shop that has
    a C2 and couldn't say enough good about it so...
    I was pointed in the direction of another lgs that carries
    Staccato, its in an area I'm never in, but I'll give em a call
    and see what they have.
    I'm thinking I'll likely end up with another Dan Wesson but,
    not without doing more homework on a Staccato C, it does
    sound well worth checkin out.

In no particular order:

Wilson EDC X9
    Springfield EMP
    Dan Wesson
    Ruger

Hilton Yam has a lot of info on the Staccato over at the 10-8 YouTube channel.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Dan Wesson Vigils, if you can find them, should be on your radar. Available in 9mm in Gov, Commander, and CCO sizes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Ive got a Ronin. FWIW, no trouble in about 400 rounds of ball and 40 124 grain +P Gold Dots. I like it.
    The 4.25" Ronin in 9mm is a rare bird in these parts, but the one I have gotten my paws on is "a bit of all right." I am not a big fan of alloy-framed 1911's, but this particular Ronin appears to be as good as the Range Officer analogue I have spent considerable time with.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List