Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on LW 1911 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I am looking for another 9mm LW 1911, too. I am looking for a commander size Dan Wesson Vigil or Valkyrie. Because they are discontinued, some people think they are worth more than when they were new. I am in no hurry, though. I think the Ronin is the other good option. I like these because they have a ramped barrel which is suppose to help with reliability with the short length of the 9mm cartridge.
    I’m looking for a CCO sized .45 Valkyrie, and those suffer from “I know what I have!” pricing levels too.

I have a pair of DW ECPs (one in each flavor) and am extremely happy with them. I think they are still in production, too. Not sure if they appeal to you, they have slightly different cosmetics, is bobbed and have a bull barrel - but they are ideal for me, I wanted a bobbed bull barrel.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/ecp/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have seen those, but I am looking for a classic Commander look. The Guardian is close but it has a Bob-tail.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Oh, maybe that was it lol
    Pretty sure CZ owns Colt and Wesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
    Dan Wesson Vigils, if you can find them, should be on your radar. Available in 9mm in Gov, Commander, and CCO sizes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I've had a Vigil Commander in 9mm for about 15 months & LOVE IT! I bought it very slightly used & my biggest regret is I haven't gotten to fire it near enough so far--But so far it's been FLAWLESS, with a GREAT Trigger & I believe it's a better quality build than a coupla' Les Baers I had and at least one Springfield Custom Shop gun I owned--Its certainly a LOT of Gun for the money!

Dan Wesson seems to be the leader in 9mm 1911 offerings. I really want a railed, aluminum framed, commander length 9mm 1911. I am unaware of anyone offering anything like that in a factory configuration. I am currently looking at JEM frames/slides and having it built. The issue there is finding a good up and coming 'smith who is taking work and not back logged for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    Dan Wesson seems to be the leader in 9mm 1911 offerings. I really want a railed, aluminum framed, commander length 9mm 1911. I am unaware of anyone offering anything like that in a factory configuration. I am currently looking at JEM frames/slides and having it built. The issue there is finding a good up and coming 'smith who is taking work and not back logged for a couple years.
    Dan Wesson TCP checks all those boxes, other than the barrel is a 4" and is a bull barrel - possessing a non-GI flat wire recoil setup. I like the one I have.

How do the single stack 9mm pistols stack up, reliability wise, to something like the Wilson SFX9, using the Walther based MecGar mags?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How do the single stack 9mm pistols stack up, reliability wise, to something like the Wilson SFX9, using the Walther based MecGar mags?
    My Wilson professional experience has been great. 4 inch bull barrel no bushing. No malfunctions in the 8k documented rounds I put through it. I believe its more but my note keeping only goes to 8k. No detail cleaning, just wipe downs every 750 rounds and new lube. I'm sure it could go past that cleaning schedule but I didn't see the point. I have only tried wilson mags but I'm going to grab some from night hawk, alchemy, and mec gar to try out. They carry very easily, as I'm sure you know. An all steel gun does feel cumbersome after years with polymer guns so I am searching for a good 9mm light weight commander as the carry while the all steel gets the brunt of the training regimen.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    My Wilson professional experience has been great. 4 inch bull barrel no bushing. No malfunctions in the 8k documented rounds I put through it. I believe its more but my note keeping only goes to 8k. No detail cleaning, just wipe downs every 750 rounds and new lube. I'm sure it could go past that cleaning schedule but I didn't see the point. I have only tried wilson mags but I'm going to grab some from night hawk, alchemy, and mec gar to try out. They carry very easily, as I'm sure you know. An all steel gun does feel cumbersome after years with polymer guns so I am searching for a good 9mm light weight commander as the carry while the all steel gets the brunt of the training regimen.
    Is a steel frame gun enough of an analogue to a LW to provide training value?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

A random thought - LW guns hare usually considered to be carry a lot, shoot less. (I’m tempted to discount that based on how well SIG P series and third gen S&Ws last.) I remember someone who was installing steel rods in LW guns. Whatever happened to that idea?
    Ken

User Tag List