Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on LW 1911 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Confused. A DW Valkyrie can be both Commander and CCO sized?
    Yup, but the commander was harder to find even when they were in production. Glad I got mine while they were still being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    Yup, but the commander was harder to find even when they were in production. Glad I got mine while they were still being made.
    I’ll have to be careful - I’m looking for a .45 CCO sized Valkyrie. Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The first 4-5 rounds are just a bitch. A few times I have used the UpLULA by sneaking it in under the top round and taking the pressure off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I just lift the nose of the round a bit with some type of tool (like my main spring housing retainer pin pusher) and push forward on the back end of the cartridge. They come right out that way.
    I’m 100% sure you gentlemen are aware of this, but just to put it out for the viewing public- the Uplulas have a tab molded into the side of the housing that is specifically designed for stripping mags. Just hook the tab face on the head of the round and slide it out. Makes it really easy to slip off and cut your knuckles on sharp feed lips.

I’m realizing you may specifically be referring to the nosediving effect of 9mm cases - the same tab helps with this slightly.

I have the Uplula with the unloading bump. It doesn't do much for the usual nose dived 9mm single stack. Like mmc, I use the loading tongue in reverse. Only needed after a match; in practice I preload the amount I want to shoot and unload through the muzzle.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I'll see what they say. I wanted a few other things down also (ditch the mag well/fit a second extractor etc)

Stan Chen magwell, highly recommend vs no magwell or one that extends the grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    A few months before my 50th birthday, I decided a 9mm LW Commander was the right way commemorate it. After some very enjoyable researching, I decided the Valkyrie was the one I wanted. Videos from some rando on youtube pretty much sealed the deal.

A bit back, a fellow P-F'er offered me a great deal on one and I regret that life got in the way. At the time, he didn't have plans to sell it but said one never knew when it might be used to fund some other 1911 project. I'll have to go through my old pm's and see if he still has it and what he'd want for it now.

@jetfire

Its been a year since I posted thatI was looking for a 9mm lightweight commander, and I still haven’t bought one.. I did pick up a nice Colt government model in .45, though.
    Last edited by DamonL; 07-03-2023 at 08:49 PM.

I thought I read somewhere that Ruger adds steel to the feed ramp of their SC1911 aluminum frames to take care of the wear and tear weak point there. And S&W adds a bit of scandium to the aluminum frames in their scandium line of pistols and they claim that the resulting alloy is as strong as steel but retains the lightweight of aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Where might an aluminum frame 1911 with a ramped barrel crack?

I've seen a ton of neglected Sig p series or Beretta's with cracked rails but I'm not sure I've ever seen a cracked aluminum 1911? I'm not doubting I just want to know where so I can keep an eye out.

Mines a 4" springfield in .45 that gets shot quite a bit.
    I've seen cracked .45 1911s, so I'm pretty sure 9mm will crack them as well.

Despite some of the posts in this thread, all firearms have a finite life. There is no "forever gun" unless it's shot very little.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    A few months before my 50th birthday, I decided a 9mm LW Commander was the right way commemorate it. After some very enjoyable researching, I decided the Valkyrie was the one I wanted. Videos from some rando on youtube pretty much sealed the deal.

A bit back, a fellow P-F'er offered me a great deal on one and I regret that life got in the way. At the time, he didn't have plans to sell it but said one never knew when it might be used to fund some other 1911 project. I'll have to go through my old pm's and see if he still has it and what he'd want for it now.

@jetfire

PM Sent.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I’m 100% sure you gentlemen are aware of this, but just to put it out for the viewing public- the Uplulas have a tab molded into the side of the housing that is specifically designed for stripping mags.
    I’m realizing you may specifically be referring to the nosediving effect of 9mm cases - the same tab helps with this slightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Like mmc, I use the loading tongue in reverse.
    Yeah, that is a handy feature.
    With the 10rnd ETMs I sneak the UPLULA tab under the top round for about the first four rounds, and then can get the rest to push out, maybe with a little lifting help on the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Despite some of the posts in this thread, all firearms have a finite life.
    Sometimes I encounter new shooters that are shopping with durability as a key criteria and I mention that any typical modern pistol should easily last for $7k-$10k worth of ammunition and that puts things in a different perspective for them.

User Tag List