Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on LW 1911 9mm

Site Supporter

Any thoughts on LW 1911 9mm

I took a couple of 1911's out of the safe last weekend
    and after a few mag's have pretty much decided ,it's
    time to sell / trade off a .45 Guardian and maybe a
    LW Officers Model for a LW Commander length 9mm.
    Another Guardian is certainly a consideration, would
    a Ronin be worth consideration ?
    I've been out of the 1911 world for a few years and
    don't know much about 9mm 1911's
    I'm not looking to spend beyond Dan Wesson money,
    just looking for a reliable, good shooting platform.

I'd go with a Dan Wesson Guardian, several of my shooting buddies have DW 9mm 1911s and they run well.

Yeah, for the money it is hard to beat a Dan Wesson.
    I've been reading that some Ronins (at least the EMP version) suffering from light primer strikes. You would have thought that they would have fixed that when they revamped the EMP line to the Ronin style.

Consider the Sig P210 Carry. I was smitten by the one I recently handled. Dan Wesson money ~$1300.

My 9mm Operator heavily tuned by Dave Sams is probably the most spectacular pistol I own but big and heavy. I can see pursuing another 9mm single action pistol in a smaller lighter format but have no idea yet which. But the list would be an alloy frame Wilson Commander format, EDC X9, Staccato C . . . or that P210 Carry. Dang it was nice.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'll just add that I'd put the DW ECP on your list. For 9mm, I'd be inclined to pick that over a Guardian. My experience and the experience of others that I've noted is that a true 4" barrel, with a bull profile, plus a full length guide rod and flat wire recoil spring all makes for a very reliable package for 9mm. The ECP, a bunch of Wilson's guns, the Ed Brown Evo series, and Springfield Champion-style guns have all had some apparent success with that setup.

Site Supporter
    I don't have a high round count on the Guardian but have been
    happy with the gun's build quality and performance, my wrist's
    just can't take many light weight .45 round's, steel gun is still doable.
    SA seemed to have a good following with the Operator, was wondering
    about the 4 or 4.25" Ronin but I guess 9mm is a different animal.
    I just got my monthly email gun list from a small lgs I do a lot with
    and low and behold, he has a used EDC X 9 4" listed at $2450
    Not really what I'm looking for but, I'll have to check it out.
    I'd guess the Guardian and SACS OM would finance it

Site Supporter
    DW TCP is also worth consideration. It's the best all around 9mm 1911 I've owned, shoots as well as a steel C&S custom that cost 2.5x as much.

Ive got a Ronin. FWIW, no trouble in about 400 rounds of ball and 40 124 grain +P Gold Dots. I like it.

I haven't bought a gun in some time, can't help with make and model but as to a lightweight 9mm...

Back when "fast handling" guns were in style for IDPA, I went lightweight 1911ish. FLG and I swapped Springfield parts around to produce a Lightweight Loaded Target 9mm. As time went on, I added some weight back to it in the form of a FLGR and steel backed Pachmayr grips. It is still lighter than my Colt 1991A1 but it tracks better than at minimum weight.

I wouldn't bother with it again, that Colt with aluminum guide rod, plastic backed rubber grips, and aluminum mag well funnel/mainspring housing is fine for my shooting style.

Now for carry, like you, I wish my Commander were a 9mm instead of .45.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I've owned multiple Wilson Combats, Les Baers, custom Dan Wessons, Ed Browns, a Springfield Custom (plus a bunch of plastic guns), etc. and my all time favorite gun is a 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian.

User Tag List