Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BUIS and quick detach mounts

I’m trying to decide on this myself right now. I have a second 9” .300 upper for my Rattler that will be set up with a 1-4x or similar. I’d like some kind of backup irons, and am thinking 45° is the way to go here.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

BUIS have utility when optics fog up, too.

All of my LPVO rifles use offset Magpul BUIS, along with having ACRO P-1s at the 1200. My CZ Evo has a window in the lower 1/3rd mount that I can look through and use the OEM irons, along with the ability to ditch the optic completely as needed (using a GDI QD mount). My 10.3" has the Unity FAST mount for the CompM5, so it has the irons built into there. With my 11.5", I have to ditch the EXPS 3-2 to be able to see the irons, due to the use of the Unity FAST riser, but I also have a full power visible laser as back-up as needed (and will be adding an offset RDS sooner rather than later, I just don't trust the EOTechs enough).

I don’t really plan on transitioning to buis during an engagement.

They’re there in case I get into a situation where I want to use irons and I’ll take the optic off beforehand.

BUIS have never really served any purpose for me besides piece of mind. But, I use them for two things: they allow me to still have a useful upper in case the world goes to shit after I’ve swapped optics but haven’t had the chance re-zero and if society completely collapses and I eventually run out of my stash of batteries before ammo, I can still use them.

Both are infinitely small chances but the rate at which my optics fail is also tiny. I do prefer two aiming systems though so every gun has BUIS until I start getting into NODS and have lasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    BUIS have utility when optics fog up, too.

All of my LPVO rifles use offset Magpul BUIS, along with having ACRO P-1s at the 1200. My CZ Evo has a window in the lower 1/3rd mount that I can look through and use the OEM irons, along with the ability to ditch the optic completely as needed (using a GDI QD mount). My 10.3" has the Unity FAST mount for the CompM5, so it has the irons built into there. With my 11.5", I have to ditch the EXPS 3-2 to be able to see the irons, due to the use of the Unity FAST riser, but I also have a full power visible laser as back-up as needed (and will be adding an offset RDS sooner rather than later, I just don't trust the EOTechs enough).
    What mount setup are you using to get a 12 o'clock ACRO? I want that.

I've got an NX8 with a 12:00 RMR (Reptilia mount) as my "backup." Truth be told, I actually use the RMR as primary inside 100yds; potentially further depending on how fast things are moving. My thought is the RMR is pretty tough in and of itself. Then you have the Nightforce. Even if illumination dies, you've still got the reticle.

I've had offsets on guns in the past and my thought is that they sound good in theory, but suck in practice.

1. If I need to transition to backup sights, I need to do it quickly. This rules out folders and points to fixed, but then (1) we introduce snag hazards and (2) they only work when rolling the gun one direction (this ties into why I prefer a 12:00 MRDS).
    2. If my optic has straight up died and I'm "irons only" now, I really don't want to be doing it with an offset set of irons.

Use case matters. If you're a LEO with (usually) relatively short range and short timeline engagements, these may not be such big issues. I'm a civilian and if I'm using an AR for something other than a game, life really sucks and I need my gear to be bombproof. I'm an Eagle Scout and that wilderness survival experience ties into my gear selection.

I suppose ideally I'd also have a set of inline folding BUIS and if both the RMR and NX8 died I could remove the optics entirely from the gun and just run inline irons. I'm gambling the odds against my money and weight for that not to happen.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    What mount setup are you using to get a 12 o'clock ACRO? I want that.
    an addition to reptilla/gieselle badger ordnance is going to be releasing (soon according to their instagram) 12 o'clock mounts for acro and micro footprint optics for the condition 1 scope mount

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    BUIS have never really served any purpose for me besides piece of mind. But, I use them for two things: they allow me to still have a useful upper in case the world goes to shit after I’ve swapped optics but haven’t had the chance re-zero and if society completely collapses and I eventually run out of my stash of batteries before ammo, I can still use them.

Both are infinitely small chances but the rate at which my optics fail is also tiny. I do prefer two aiming systems though so every gun has BUIS until I start getting into NODS and have lasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm kinda of the other way. I mainly use irons because of lack of trust in electrics. Irons never stop being sights. I do own a few quality red dots but my experience so far has been 50% failure rate. So my idea was to use QD to easily ditch the optic. That plus all my ARs are standard 6920s so the front sight is already there.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I'm kinda of the other way. I mainly use irons because of lack of trust in electrics. Irons never stop being sights. I do own a few quality red dots but my experience so far has been 50% failure rate. So my idea was to use QD to easily ditch the optic. That plus all my ARs are standard 6920s so the front sight is already there.

That's pretty extreme. What have you used that's failed so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That's pretty extreme. What have you used that's failed so much?
    AimPoint.

They weren't brand new out of the box but they weren't that old either. One still running. The other I had checked and prepared for class the following day. Made sure it had new batteries and brought an extra as well. When I got to the range the next day it wouldn't turn on. Replaced the battery and still nothing. Had someone else give me a battery and same result. The last time it turned on was the last time it turned on. Luckily having irons I didn't have to turn around and spend another hour and half driving home for nothing.

User Tag List