Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BUIS and quick detach mounts

BUIS and quick detach mounts

What are your thoughts on BUIS and quick detach mounts on rifles? So you just ditch the traditional sights? Do you care if your scope mounts are quick detach?

I was setting up my rifle the other day and realized I had forgotten to sight it the BUIS after having already set up the LPVO. The mount is screw down type and now I have to take it off then resight it. [emoji849][emoji849]

On the one hand BUIS have become largely irrelevant but I can't get over the fact optics can and do fail, and maybe I'm more aware of it having it happen to me before. On the other hand having a screwed down mount may as well be without BUIS

I'm thinking of getting a QD mount. Am I over thinking this?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Ditch the sights and get an offset or piggy backed red dot.

Sights aren’t useful with a non qd mount, where as a rds can be used as a backup without taking the scope off but can also be used as a quick 1x instead of dialing your magnification.

Use offset 45 degree BUIS. Needing to remove the optic to use the BUIS is a non-starter.

I don't have BUIS on any rifles. For the LPVO equipped rifles, a secondary RDS/MRDS is the way.

I use offset BUIS on one rifle with a 1.93" RDS mount, as standard BUIS are too low to cowitness. I need to pick up another set for the rifle I have with an LPVO on a non-QD mount. As others have mentioned, offset RDS taking the place of BUIS are gaining popularity.

So you rds guys aren't worried about optics breaking?

Having an LVPO isn’t like having a red dot. If the LVPO runs out of batteries or the electronics go down, you will still have the crosshairs… just no illumination. So backup sights aren’t as necessary. But there’s always the worse case scenario of a lens braking I guess.

A lot of people with LVPO’s will run backups sights, either iron or RDS in an offset position. These work great, especially when running the LVPO in a magnified setting. You could quickly transition to CQB using the RDS.

Site Supporter
    I went with Scalarworks Leap mount on my scoped AR. I haven't removed and replaced the scope to verify zero, but this mount is really quick to take off the rifle. I haven't put enough rounds through it to have a truly informed opinion on function, so take my comment for whatever little it might be worth.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    So you rds guys aren't worried about optics breaking?

I can center the target in the RDS window for gross aiming at close distances. At the height I’m running my RDS, BUIS are not viable. I have a vis laser on every rifle

Offset folding BUIS, non-QD scope mount is my preference.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

User Tag List